Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    My cooking friends! I just wanted to share my excitement with you: I made my very first cake, and I'm such a nerd, I took a picture of it to show you guys!

[IMG]images/img/MyFirstCake1_sm.jpg[/IMG]

So I didn't burn my house down, and it actually tastes great! I did want to ask you if you have any tips on how to frost without pulling crumbs all over the place. Luckily this recipe called for pressing almonds on the side and putting toasted coconut on top, because without them my frosting job was none too cute, let me tell you!
    Snowy: I am agog at your FIRST?! attempt at cake making! You are certainly NO slouch in the baking department! I remember, in this thread, that you said you barely cooked at all; what a PRO you've turned into. I'm so proud of you and I bet that the buttons are bursting off of your shirt, too! I especially like the tiered, painted glass cake stand that you have to display it on; very beautiful. I adore making coconut cakes and have a vintage cake stand that I present mine on; they just make ANY cake look nice, but when they're as perfect as yours, they look even better.

I'm seconding all the advice you received on frosting the cake; it's sound and good advice. Chill the cake, or freeze it, use a spatula and make your first layer very thin. Keep posting your success stories here to receive the praise you so-o-o-o deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Does anyone have a really good sangria recipe? I am having a BBQ this weekend, and since it is summer here, there is a lot of fruit available. Also, I looked on line but most recipes call for Club Soda, which I have never seen here. Is that the same as Mineral Water with the bubbles? Can I substitute something else? Thanks ...
    canuckinchile: sometimes the best answer is simply a good link! Here is the ULTIMATE sangria site, with over 40 recipes for you. They look awesome, and although I've never had sangria, I sure want to try at least half of these this summer! Please take a look at this site; there's so many to choose from that you may decide to have several and look like a "star" to your friends! http://www.wineintro.com/sangria/
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Snowy,

I am so impressed. Your cake looks gorgeous.

Wow, Snowy - that's amazing! Great job, and I'm glad you snapped a pic for us.

CanuckinChile - yes, club soda is carbonated mineral water. Sangria - oh, I love a good Sangria. Good luck.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Thanks lambi and hep....now if snowflake girl could only mail me that cake!!

Beauiful cake, Snowy. Now what time should I come over to help you eat it?

I'm glad you asked for tips on frosting, too, because I never knew about freezing it first, or the whole base layer aspect of it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    CanuckinChile - yes, club soda is carbonated mineral water. Sangria - oh, I love a good Sangria. Good luck.
    hepcat: Since you've had sangria and I haven't, maybe I can ask your help on this. All of the recipes on that site had as the main ingredient, "RED WINE". Okay, I get what red is, but is there one that's better for the job than not? I'm asking because of a Vodka Incident the other day: In the past, several bartender friends of mine had suggested that for mixed drinks like Cosmos, Smirnoff was "good enough" because they said the other flavours over-powered the vodka.

Fine. They were the experts, I thought, so I always bought Smirnoff.

Then, Monday night, my sweetie's roommate made Cosmos for us, with Grey Goose Vodka (a very expensive brand) and the difference was so prounounced (meaning AWESOME!!!) that I had to remark on it to Patti, the roomie who made the drinks. She scoffed at the bartender's advice, saying, "The better the vodka, the better the drink."

So, now I'm confused. Before, I'd buy some average priced red wine, like a merlot, or maybe just a boxed (ick!) red wine...and now I don't know.

Anyone else ever make sangria and if so, what type of red wine did you use?

We just got a new roof top deck put on the garage (in the city) and this summer we want to do a lot of entertaining and those sangria recipes are taunting me now!

(P.S. hepcat: I adore your new blue Hello Kitty! )

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm not a wine drinker, but I do know my friends who favor sangria have mentioned that since there are so many components that go into that drink, a decent quality red is all that's needed. You certainly don't have to get the very best.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Snowy, that cake looks great! Good job!

Since I haven't been in here in a while, I thought I'd post a few tips I've gotten from my boss:

1. To make a cake mix taste less box-like and more homemade, substitute the vegetable oil with olive oil. It sounds crazy, but I tried it the other day and it works!

2. To make a good, cheap sangria, use red wine, very cold Orangina, and lots of ice.

3. Mashed cauliflower makes a good mashed potato substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'm not a wine drinker, but I do know my friends who favor sangria have mentioned that since there are so many components that go into that drink, a decent quality red is all that's needed. You certainly don't have to get the very best.
    Well, that's what I thought, especially with all the fruit and such. Good, now I don't need $20.00 bottles of wine to make this drink! Thanks, Texicana.

Premium Member
    Just be careful when you eat the fruit.

Closed Thread