Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Lambi... It's nice to see you haven't lost your touch. I feel like I've been gone for years, and I've come home again.

ADK, I smiled when I saw your av again. What a beautiful picture, it's nice to see you've gone back to using it. I actually live in avocado country, so I look forward to making your guacamole many times over.

Marley...the baked potato bar sounds like a wonderful idea. Did you have a variety of toppers...besides the guacamole, that is? Oooh, a Pampered Chef avocado peeler? Luck-y girl!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    Yes, we had butter and sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, bacon, broccoli, ham and melted Velveeta. This was different, they usually have chili but the potatoes were a nice change.

Oh my, that sounds wonderful. I haven't had breakfast yet, and now I want a baked potato. I'm going to keep this in mind, and do this the next chance I get...thanks for the tip.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    Funny you should say that.. there were so many baked potatoes left over at the party that we all took some home, so I had one for breakfast this morning. I stood over the sink and ate it plain except for sprinkling a little Kosher salt on each bite. MMmmm.

My cooking friends! I just wanted to share my excitement with you: I made my very first cake, and I'm such a nerd, I took a picture of it to show you guys!

[IMG]images/img/MyFirstCake1_sm.jpg[/IMG]

So I didn't burn my house down, and it actually tastes great! I did want to ask you if you have any tips on how to frost without pulling crumbs all over the place. Luckily this recipe called for pressing almonds on the side and putting toasted coconut on top, because without them my frosting job was none too cute, let me tell you!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wow Snowy, I'm impressed. That cake looks stunning and delicious. I love coconut and cakes with almonds on the side. I've never made a cake, but I'm going to try on March 30th, for my almost husband's birthday.

Looks good Snowie. I'm sure Mr. Snowie is enjoying this new talent you've uncovered.

Snowy - that looks SO good!

My two cents on frosting a cake: brush any crumbs off lightly with your hand, us a spatula rather than a knife, turn the cake as your frost it, and (especially for the sides) put on a really thin layer first (like a skim coat when doing joint tape) first (seals any remaining crumbs on) before doing a "real" layer of frosting.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Help!!!!

Does anyone have a really good sangria recipe? I am having a BBQ this weekend, and since it is summer here, there is a lot of fruit available. Also, I looked on line but most recipes call for Club Soda, which I have never seen here. Is that the same as Mineral Water with the bubbles? Can I substitute something else? Thanks ....

Congrats Snowy! I was actually checking into some cake decorating sites last week cause we got a new brand of cake in at work and every time I decorate now my cakes are coming out wierd. One of the things I was reading was that you should always go just one direction when you are smoothing your icing, that might help. My biggest help though is to make sure your cake is TOTALLY cool, preferably refrigerated or frozen if you can...I prefer that mine be totally frozen and it makes things a lot easier on me. I'm having problems finding the exact site I was looking at the other day, but this one had some good tips as well http://www1.iwon.com/home/info/learn..._412_5,00.html
    You'll ice the cake using at least two layers. The first, called the "crumb" layer, is a base coat that will keep crumbs from getting into the outer layers of icing. To apply the crumb layer, take a flexible rubber spatula and spread the icing you placed in the small bowl over the entire cake. Start with the sides and then move to the top. You want a thin, even layer that will hold in the crumbs. Avoid touching the cake with the spatula--this will minimize crumbs. Discard any remaining frosting left in the small bowl (never mix the base frosting with the rest of the frosting). Allow this base layer to dry for a minimum of 20 minutes before moving on to the next layer.

When the base coat is dry, clean the spatula and then use it to smooth a large amount of fresh frosting from the large bowl onto the cake's sides. Continue covering the sides, remembering not to let the spatula touch the cake (only the icing). You can do this by always using more icing than you think you'll need. As you're applying the icing, move slowly and try to keep it looking smooth. When the sides are finished, move to the top. Once the entire cake is covered, you can decide if you want to add a third layer of icing. At this point it's a matter of personal taste.

Next, smooth the icing on the cake's top with a long, flat spatula or ruler. Just hold either item at an angle and drag it gently across the cake's top. This will create a flat surface on which you can place flowers and other decorations. Make any necessary finishing touches by dipping a knife or spatula in hot water and smoothing the icing out.
    Last edited by libra1022; 02-08-2005 at 03:49 PM.

Closed Thread