Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Unk, since I realize you're so knowledgeable about all things food, I was expecting something a little more official...thanks for the wonderful surprise.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Does anyone out there have a crockpot recipe for chicken with noodles?? I want to make this in this crockpot..for those nights I get home right at suppertime.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Chicken And Noodles With Vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    Does anyone out there have a crockpot recipe for chicken with noodles?? I want to make this in this crockpot..for those nights I get home right at suppertime.
    angelic_one2002: It's generally acknowledged, now, that having rice, pasta or noodles as part of the cooking process in a Crock Pot results in ONE. BIG. GOOEY. MESS. Every recipe that I've found for the past 5 years or so, will have you make the noodles at the end of the cooking time, and then adding them to the pot, or taking the main dish out and serving it over the noodles.

Here's one that you might enjoy that I make during the cold, grey days of Winter.

NOTE: I despise dark meat on chicken, so I use skinned chicken breasts for this meal, but that's my quirk. I know that most people savor dark meat.
    CHICKEN AND NOODLES WITH VEGETABLES

4 Medium Carrots, sliced into rounds
    3 Medium Onions, chopped
    2 Stalks of Celery, sliced into 1/2" bits
    2 Tablespoons of Snipped Fresh Parsley
    1 Bay Leaf
    3 Medium Chicken Legs (drumstick/thigh portion) about 2 pounds total, skinned
    2 10 3/4 ounce Cans of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
    1/2 Cup of Water
    1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
    1 Cup of Frozen Peas
    10 ounces of Dried Wide Noodles

1) In a 4 quart crock pot, combine carrots, onions, celery,parsley, and bay leaf. Place chicken on top of the vegetables. In a large bowl, stir together the Cream of Chicken soup, the water, thyme, and the pepper. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.

2) Cover; cook on low-heat for 8-9 hours or on high-heat for 4-5 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf.

3) Cook noodles according to package direction; drain. Meanwhile, stir the frozen peas into the mixture in slow cooker. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; stir into mixture in crock pot.

4) To serve: pour chicken mixture over noodles; toss gently to combine. If desired, season to taste with salt and additional pepper.

Serves 6
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambikins....thanks for the delicious-sounding recipe! I love chicken, and this one really sounds good. Thanks too, for the advice about noodles getting mushy in the crockpot.

Talk about your timely posts. I'm sitting here with a chicken in my crockpot at this very moment. I googled crockpot whole chicken recipes last night, and found a very basic one, to which I added carrots, onions, celery and spices, but I was still deciding what else to add to make it a 'meal', and then here is this noodle recipe. *cue Twilight Zone music*

So thanks, Angelic for asking, and thanks Lambi for answering! I'm off to get some wide noodles.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

roseskid - have you ever cooked a whole chicken in your crockpot before? Ive seen some pretty good looking recipes for whole lemon pepper chickens.

No, so I thought I'd google it like I said. Some were very interesting, using spaghetti sauce, or canned soups, but I wanted something more like an herbed broth this time. I'll let you know how it comes out...the house smells great right now, that's for sure. I just couldn't believe it when I saw your posts this morning. Are you psychic? By the way, the recipe I downloaded, says "be sure to defrost your chicken before putting it in the crockpot". I guess there are always those people who have to have everything spelled out for them.

Years ago, I had a very taxing job, and used my crockpot all the time...it was lovely to come home, have the house smell so good, and dinner basically done. But I hadn't used it in years when I started seeing crockpot recipes mentioned in this thread. I've been inspired!
    Last edited by roseskid; 02-06-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Just checking in to see how your Guacamole came out, Marleybone
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    No, so I thought I'd google it like I said. Some were very interesting, using spaghetti sauce, or canned soups, but I wanted something more like an herbed broth this time. I'll let you know how it comes out...the house smells great right now, that's for sure. I just couldn't believe it when I saw your posts this morning. Are you psychic? By the way, the recipe I downloaded, says "be sure to defrost your chicken before putting it in the crockpot". I guess there are always those people who have to have everything spelled out for them.
    Why YES!...yes I am psychic, roseskid!

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Years ago, I had a very taxing job, and used my crockpot all the time...it was lovely to come home, have the house smell so good, and dinner basically done. But I hadn't used it in years when I started seeing crockpot recipes mentioned in this thread. I've been inspired!
    I'm so glad that you dusted off your crock pot and have begun using it again. What I find funny is when my younger friends (30 and under) come over for dinner at my partner's and my home, and when they see the dinner in the crock pot, they go..."Oh, my Mom has one of those in the closet!" It's like youngin's only associate crock pot cooking with the "Over the 30 set." I guess the quote should now be changed to "Don't Trust Anyone Over 30, With a Crock Pot!"
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    Just checking in to see how your Guacamole came out, Marleybone
    Hey ADK I was just coming in here to give my report!

The guacamole was absolutely da-lishus (quoting RR here). It was a big hit at the party, I got lots of compliments. We also had a baked potato bar and people were even putting the guacamole on their taters! I didn't know how many people would be there so I made a huge bowl (used 15 avocados) but it ended up only 11 adults plus some kids, so when I say I had about 1/2 the bowl left over I still think that was pretty good. I always tend to make too much, especially when the avocados are so small.

Another fun thing.. this was my first chance to try out my Pampered Chef avocado peeler. It was really slick, I got them all done in no time!

Closed Thread