Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

As long as you have lime or lemon juice, it shouldn't brown, but you can't putsh it too far with guac. It's always safer to make it the same day.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

If you keep the pit in the guacamole, it helps retard the icky oxidized browning process a bit, but I agree with Hep...the fresher the better.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member
    I'm going to make this last thing before I leave for the party so it will be really fresh. I just picked up the ingredients and I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm going to sprinkle some finely chopped tomatoes over the top for that extra color.

I like your suggestion for testing the avocados for ripeness.. I tried it in the store today and it worked great. I used to just press lightly on the skin to see how soft they were.

I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to poke around on Fort for a while, but it looks like I came here just in time. I love guacamole, so thanks, ADK, for the recipe. I've never found a good one...that is until now.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Something interesting that you can toss in the guacamole as well is Rotel (canned product of diced tomatoes and green chiles normally found with the other canned tomato stuff in the grocery store)....I also add a dash of cayenne pepper to spice mine up a pinch.

Almost forgot...as Texi so greatly put in my head....use the small, darker, bumpier, Haas avocados for guacamole...not the large, green, smooth Florida variety. I've done it both ways, but she was right, the smaller ones had a better flavor to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I use Penzey's chili powder, have any of you used their spices? I get mine online but I would love to go somewhere where there's a real store.
    (sorry for the double post but I was just thinking about this)
    My friend gave me a couple of Penzey's spices that he ordered online and they really are DELISH! He also gave me some yummy hint of mint cocoa by them I think I'm gonna have to add my orders to his when he places them cause that's some good stuff there!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Something interesting that you can toss in the guacamole as well is Rotel (canned product of diced tomatoes and green chiles normally found with the other canned tomato stuff in the grocery store)....I also add a dash of cayenne pepper to spice mine up a pinch.

Almost forgot...as Texi so greatly put in my head....use the small, darker, bumpier, Haas avocados for guacamole...not the large, green, smooth Florida variety. I've done it both ways, but she was right, the smaller ones had a better flavor to them.
    After Zaaam educated me on the wonders of Cayenne pepper I was thinking of doing exactly that to my guacamole. I'm going to use some fresh tomatoes and a can of plain green chiles in mine, but the Rotel sounds like a great idea too. I also didn't know there was a difference in avocados, I've never seen anything but Haas around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    My friend gave me a couple of Penzey's spices that he ordered online and they really are DELISH! He also gave me some yummy hint of mint cocoa by them I think I'm gonna have to add my orders to his when he places them cause that's some good stuff there!
    If you order Penzey's online yourself they will send you catalogs (I'll bet you could go online and request one too) The catalogs are really fun and educational. They give the origin of the different spices and how they are used in whichever country they come from, and it's full of great recipes. When I get a new catalog I curl up and read it like a magazine. I'm hoping to get to a city that has one of their retail stores.

Being in the restaurant business, I'm often asked the shelf life of various foods. Here is a test that should help you determine if something is safe to eat or not.

FOOD SPOILAGE TEST
    ISAAC‘S STRANGE RULE OF STALENESS: Any food that starts out hard will soften when stale. Any food that starts out soft will harden when stale.

EGGS: When something starts pecking its way out of the shell, the egg is probably past its prime.

DAIRY PRODUCTS: Milk is spoiled when it starts to look like yogurt. Yogurt is spoiled when it starts to look like cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is spoiled when it starts to look like regular cheese. Regular cheese is nothing but spoiled milk anyway and can't get any more spoiled than it is already. Cheddar cheese is spoiled when you think it is blue cheese but you realize you've never purchased that kind.

EXPIRATION DATES: This is NOT a marketing ploy to encourage you to throw away perfectly good food so that you'll spend more on groceries. Perhaps you'd benefit by having a calendar in your kitchen.

MEAT: If opening the refrigerator door causes stray animals from a three-block radius to congregate outside your house, the meat is spoiled.

BREAD: Sesame seeds and poppy seeds are the only officially acceptable "spots" that should be seen on the surface of any loaf of bread. Fuzzy and hairy looking white or green growth areas are a good indication that your bread has turned into a pharmaceutical laboratory experiment.

FLOUR: Flour is spoiled when it wiggles.

SALT: It never spoils.

CANNED GOODS: Any canned goods that have become the size or shape of a softball should be disposed of. Carefully.

CARROTS: A carrot that you can tie a clove hitch in is not fresh.

RAISINS: Raisins should not be harder than your teeth.

CHIP DIP: If you can take it out of its container and bounce it on the floor, it has gone bad.

GENERAL RULE OF THUMB: Most food cannot be kept longer than the average life span of a hamster. Keep a hamster nearby your refrigerator to gauge this.

That's hilarious, Unk.

Premium Member
    Hilarious but also true!

Closed Thread