Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Here is just a little bit of information on the benefits of Cayenne Pepper:
    The main component in Cayenne Pepper is Capsaicin. Well, this is the most potent and predominant chemical compound found in the fruit of the plant.
    Cayenne is one of the fastest-acting aids for the heart, because it feeds the heart immediately.Cayenne has been known to stop heart attacks within 30 seconds.
    CAYENNE PEPPER is a stimulant. It improves circulation and purifies the blood. It is Anti bacterial, promotes healing and prevents infection.
    Hereís how it works: Cayenne helps maintain the "river of life," also known as the bloodstream. A stagnated "river of life" leads to blockages, which lead to oxygen starvation, which leads to organ dysfunction, disease, and, in severe cases, heart attack. Cayenne pepper works like a drain opener that blasts through the blockages, delivering oxygenated blood into sick or dying organs faster than any other medicine or herb can get there.
    But thatís not all; cayenne has more health benefits than any other single food or herb on earth.
    Cayenne is better than a cup of coffee for energy, mental clarity, and being kind to the body since it doesnít wipe out the adrenal glands with harmful stimulants. Cayenne has so many positive effects on the body, the list seems endless, especially since most health problems start with a lack of circulation triggered by anything from clogging foods, medications, lack of exercise, to depression, etc. Capsaicin can burn extra calories in a way similar to exercise.
    Cayenne is one of God's wonderful herbal creations that never ceases to amaze!
    Please remember that the pill form is NOT good for you. When you bite into a hot pepper, nerve receptors in your mouth let you know about it. So your stomach is already preparing for that and produces the acids needed. However in a capsule form, you swallow it, your stomach has no idea you ate something so hot. That explains why when you eat something hot, your face gets red...thats your blood that races to the surface.
    Have you heard of the story of the little boy that was playing with his Dad's gun and accidentally shot himself...well, they lived in the country and medical help was going to take more time than the boy had. His Dad put Cayenne Pepper in a glass of water and had his son drink it...when the ambulance came the boy was still coherent and amazed everyone that he didn't bleed to death. You can stop bleeding by putting it right on the wound as well. You can use it for sprains or bruises,is an effective remedy against snakebite,for abscesses/boils,abrasions,asthma attack,bleeding lungs,bursitis/ arthritis, toothache, frostbite/frozen limbs...and soooo much more!!! ( in freezing weather you can sprinkle some cayenne pepper in shoes and it will keep your feet warm~Cayenne Pepper will save your life~
    Last edited by Zaaam; 02-04-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Premium Member
    OMG, that is amazing... I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

So does the Cayenne from the spice rack work as well or do you recommend fresh?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    ~Cayenne Pepper will save your life~
    Umm. I beg to differ Missy. :nono

*Note to those people who get a tad buzzed on brewskies, hate hot stuff and with liquid courage..have your gf talk you into pouring a small pile of Cayenne pepper in your hand and eat it straight up. It'll just about kill you!!!
    Trust me on this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Marley, I've never used real brown rice in fried rice....I always use white rice stir-fried in soy sauce, with a little rice vinegar and sesame oil. Does brown rice taste better? (You are totally right about using the day-old cooked rice, it DOES taste better - I've also used leftover white rice from Chinese takeout to make fried rice.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    OMG, that is amazing... I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

So does the Cayenne from the spice rack work as well or do you recommend fresh?
    Oh yes, thats what I am talking about...comes in a jar (powdered)

And for Maveno...You needed to mix 1 tsp. into 1 cup of water, not just lick the powder
    You are fun to take advantage of
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Marley, I've never used real brown rice in fried rice....I always use white rice stir-fried in soy sauce, with a little rice vinegar and sesame oil. Does brown rice taste better? (You are totally right about using the day-old cooked rice, it DOES taste better - I've also used leftover white rice from Chinese takeout to make fried rice.)
    Actually the original recipe just says "rice". I found it in a newspaper at least 15 years ago, and one time I used brown rice because that's what I had, and we just liked it better. I like the taste and texture of brown rice better so that's just what I've always used.

Now I have a question... does anyone have a good recipe for guacamole? I have to make some for a Super Bowl party and I think I can wing it but I'd love a good recipe.

Here's a great one, Marleybone
    (from The Best Recipe, by the editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine)

CHUNKY GUACAMOLE
    makes 2 1/2 to 3 cups

To minimize the risk of discoloration, prepare the minced ingredients first so they are ready to mix with the avacados as they are cut. To test for ripeness of avacados, try to flick the small stem off the avacado. If it comes off easily and you can see green underneath it, the avacado is ripe. Ripe avacados are NOT hard, at all.

3 medium RIPE avacados (pebbly skinned Haas)
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    1 medium garlic clove, minced (I buy the stuff in a jar, already minced)
    1 small jalapeno chile, minced
    1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon groun cumin
    2 tablespoons juice from 1 line

Halve one avacado, remove pit and scoop flesh into medium bowl. Mash flesh lightly with onion, garlic, chile, cilantro, salt and cumin with times of a fork until just combined.

Halve and pit remaining two avacados. Make 1/2-inch cross hatch incisions into flesh of each avacado half with dinner knife. Separate diced flesh from skin using spoon inserted between skin and flesh, gently scooping out avacado halves. Add cubes to bowl with mashed avacado mixture.

Sprinkle lime juice over diced avacado and mix entire contents of bowl lightly with fork until combined but still chunky. Adjust to taste with salt, if additional needed. (Can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto surface of mixture, and refrigerated up to one day. Return guacamole to room temperature before serving.

Delicious. Just made this a few weeks ago. Its my standard recipe.
    ENJOY your party!
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Premium Member
    MMMmm... that sounds just delightful! Thanks ADKLove! Most of those ingredients are similar to what I do except I just dump in the bowl and see if it tastes ok. I will try this for Sunday!

I love serving guacamole in a hollowed out tomato, or alternatively, chopping a tomato into small cubes and putting them around the rim of my serving bowl. The red and green contrast is eye-catching.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Thanks ADK and Hep!! I am having a party next weekend and will use this guacamole dip for sure, and I like the serving suggestion. Does it really keep overnight okay?

Closed Thread