Closed Thread

Thread: Recipes

Lambikins, I hadn't even finished reading your story before I thought, "Sally should have just gone to Sam's Club and got a big thing of the prepackaged stuff." As it turns out, she's my kind of cook.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Lambikins, I hadn't even finished reading your story before I thought, "Sally should have just gone to Sam's Club and got a big thing of the prepackaged stuff." As it turns out, she's my kind of cook.
    I already sent Sally a link to your wonderful story, Lucy, so she'll have a chuckle tomorrow morning when she opens her email!

I guess Great Minds think alike, Lucy!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks for those flax seed recipes, Marleybone. I think I'm going to try those apple muffins, they sound delish!

Lambi, I'm so excited to hear you'll be "flaxing" with me now! Since I've been eating flax daily, I really do feel like my energy has increased, I lost the few extra pounds I gained over the holidays, and I think my hair is shinier too--even if I'm fooling myself, it's extra whole grain fiber, so it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    You're all darned lucky that Zaaam ain't here to "school" ya all on flax seeds/oil.

It's a regular thing in our home. Moreso the oil.
    *raises hand* Ooh ooh ooh, I wanna be "schooled" too! *puts on Go Go Yubari schoolgirl outfit*

Seriously, though, I love the stuff and am on the lookout for new ways to incorporate it in my diet, so any advice Zaaam or you might have would totally be appreciated.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Thanks for those flax seed recipes, Marleybone. I think I'm going to try those apple muffins, they sound delish!
    You're welcome, I'm happy to share! I don't know about the bread but the muffins do sound good.

Flaxseeds are very good for you! It to me is one of the 5 key foods you should eat daily I like the seeds and the oil form.
    Sprinkle ground flax on salad, yogurt, or cereal ( the best nutritional source only because you are eating the seeds at their highest value because you didn't cook any nutrients away.)
    I have mixed flax into meatloaf or meatballs.
    You can add ground flax to pancake, muffin, cookie batter, or baked goods. Also coat fish or chicken in ground flaxseed and oven fry.

Flaxseed Oil is excellent! However...make sure you buy it in a dark bottle and keep it refrigerated. Never cook with it, it becomes a 'bad fat' once you cook it. I put a tablespoon of the flaxseed Oil on my baked potato instead of butter and on salad. I even take a tablespoon of the oil and just down it (just taste like oil) kinda felt strange first time I did it cuz it seemed as if I was drinking cooking oil. Remember the omega-3 nutrients it has and the overall health benefits and it makes drinking it alot easier.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Turnip Soup Mellowed With Rice

Zaaam: I hope you're feeling better from your bout with the flu! I'm finally able to get about but boy do I tire out easily. I valued your info about the flaxseed and oil; I'm glad you mentioned to NOT cook with it, as that would have been the first thing I did.

Zaaam and Snowy: HOW much flaxseed, PER DAY, do you take? At the various websites that I've visited, they state to "Start out small, with 1 teaspoon per day, building up to 2 Tablespoons per day." Does that sound right? Of course, I started out with 2 Tablespoons per day (Rebellious Kid Syndrome HERE) and I seem okay. I'd just like a touch stone on what you grrrls do.

Below is a recipe that I have wanted to try for years but I either lacked all the ingredients or the time to do this. I finally had both time and turnips and whipped this up yesterday.

After it was done, I ate a bowl. Then, I went back for another bowl. After that, I snuck back to the kitchen, changed my name, and ate yet ANOTHER bowl!

I am pleased beyond the telling of it with how it turned out! I wasn't so much leery about the end results, but turnips are pretty plain, like water chestnuts in taste, and I couldn't comprehend how this soup would *rock*. But, once you begin to saute the turnips, their aroma fills the air and the stock from the roasted turnips is ambrosial.

This is definitely worth a try, particularly if you like French Onion soup, because the taste (the rich earthiness of it) is what it reminded me of. I kept reading and re-reading the recipe, sure that their HAD to be onions or garlic in there and I was just missing it. But no, make it EXACTLY how the recipe is and you'll be thrilled with the results.

I have 3 bowls-full left, and the rice has absorbed the liquid, so I can't vouch for what it's like the next day (like an omelet) but it sure was fantastic the first! I've also included a bit of trivia about turnips, just to have fun with.

Hope the adventurous and gourmets in this thread enjoy this soup!

Ah, the lowly Turnip. If we know anything about it beside it’s name, it’s the infamous scene of Scarlet O’Hara, raised fist against the sunset, yelling …”I will never go hungry again!”

But humans have been eating turnips since pre-history, where cave men ate them raw and, when fire was discovered, ate them roasted. In France, cave paintings show turnips being boiled in clay pots.

I’m a sucker for maligned vegetables, especially the ‘forgotten’ root vegetables like turnips, parsnips and Jerusalem artichoke. Whenever I encounter a recipe for one of the, I’ll run to the kitchen to give it a try. And I’ve never been disappointed.

Leave it to the Italians to come up with a soup that is simple, easy to prepare, and absolutely extraordinary. Reading the ingredients doesn’t give you a clue as to how good this soup tastes; it’s so good that it can be served to accolades at the most elegant of dinner parties---not just kept for family applause.

TURNIP SOUP MELLOWED WITH RICE

Serves 6

3 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
    1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
    1 Pound of turnips, peeled, and cut into ½ inch diced pieces. (I treated these like apples; I cut them into quarters, used a paring knife to peel them, and then diced them. At the market, 3 large turnips = one pound. Just weigh them at the grocery store to get the right amount.)
    6 Cups of Chicken Broth, (NOT the no-fat variety!)
    ½ Cup of Unconverted Long-Grain Rice
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 Tablespoons of minced, fresh Italian Parsley
    ¾ Cup of Freshly Grated Parmesan (I just buy the pre-grated type, though a high-end brand; I just can’t stand to grate cups of Parmesan cheese!)

In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the olive oil over high heat. When the foam subsides, sauté the turnips, tossing frequently, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.

Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to moderate, and cook, covered for 10 minutes.

After that, stir in the rice and cook the mixture, covered, until the rice is al dente, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Just before serving, stir in the parsley and the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks Lamb! I am feeling much better, you are always so nice.
    I recommend 1 Tablespoon daily,too much might give ya the runs( just saying)

My 5 foods I swear by are:
    Wheatgrass
    Flaxseed
    Cayenne Pepper
    Garlic
    Green Tea

Thanks for those flax tips, Zaaam. Those are incredibly helpful--I think I'll try coating the chicken and oven frying it like you suggest. Sorry to be so remedial but...how do you oven fry stuff? How long, what temp, etc? For, say, chicken breasts or tenderloins. (Don't laugh at me, I barely knew how to boil water before you folks got me cooking.)

Lambi, like Zaaam, I consume generally about 1 tablespoon of flax per day--that's sprinkled in cereal or yogurt, and so forth. Sometimes it's more, if I've cooked it into something, but I don't usually take that flax I've into account, since I'm not sure of the amount per prepared serving--and I haven't had any "issues" if you catch my drift. I'll say no more here in the food thread.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    ...how do you oven fry stuff? How long, what temp, etc? For, say, chicken breasts or tenderloins. (Don't laugh at me, I barely knew how to boil water before you folks got me cooking.)
    Oven fry is basically just putting it in a baking dish and throwing it in the oven-so easy, you will love it
    Wash chicken pieces under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
    (optional...)Pour buttermilk into a container. Place chicken pieces skin-side down in buttermilk, turning several times to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. Then coat with whatever you want.
    Heat oven to 425 and bake in a glass baking dish for 50 minutes to 1hr.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    Oven fry is basically just putting it in a baking dish and throwing it in the oven-so easy, you will love it
    Ok, I know I'm cooking-impaired, but isn't that just ... baking it?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Closed Thread