Closed Thread
Page 10 of 773 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    FOOOOOOOOOOOOD! I never should have gone back to this thread at 8 AM when I've been up since 5:30 and haven't eaten yet.

I love eating... and when you hate to exercise as much as I do, that's not really a good thing.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I used to do some catering so I have lots of yummy recipes. By far my most requested ones though are Poppyseed Bread and Green Chile Chicken Soup.
    Green Chile Chicken Stew

One chicken, cooked and shredded (I usually use all white meat)
    One onion, chopped
    Two cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
    4 T. butter
    3 stalks celery
    4 carrots
    3 potatoes
    1 cup of corn (or 1 can)
    8 oz. green chile, chopped (fresh or frozen is best, use canned if you’re desperate)
    1 bay leaf
    ˝ t oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 cans chicken broth
    1 can evaporated milk (or cream if you’re living dangerously!)
    3 T flour

Saute vegetables in butter till tender
    Add chicken, spices and broth. Cook until potatoes and carrots are done.
    Mix flour and milk until smooth (shaking in a jar works best)
    Add to soup, heat but do not boil.
    Serve with flour tortillas for dipping if you like.

(The amounts listed above are approximate. Also, you can leave out the potatoes, the corn, or carrots according to your tastes, or top with grated Monterey Jack cheese.)

Barbecued garlic lobster tails
    (Costco has a seafood roadshow where lobster tails are $18.99/lb, a 1/2 lb tail per person is enough)

Cut the belly shell off the tail, cut a slit down the center. Put garlic slices in the slit, sprinkle some on the open meat, lay sliced lemons on the exposed meat. Place in a tray made of aluminum foil and barbecue until the meat pulls away from the shell.

Serve with melted butter. Mix garlic powder into the butter for even more garlic taste.

A big hit at our house!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Ooh! Ooh! I want lobster tails!!!!!

I sure bet it's a big hit at your house.

I love this thread so much! Thank you, thank you. I will have to return and try a few recipes.

I make an excellent pizza. Let's see if I can come up with a recipe. It's more fun to make this with another person. They can make the sauce (and/or prep the veggies and grate the cheese) while you're making the dough.

1) Dough: water, sugar-type item, flour, yeast, olive oil, spices
    2) Pesto sauce: basil, garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, olive oil, walnuts or pine nuts (You can also replace the basil with cilantro, if you're into that sort of thing!) or RED sauce: 1 small can tomato paste, 1 BIG can crushed or chopped tomatoes (32 oz? I use Muir Glen, since it's organic), onions, garlic, veggies, spices, chili paste, the kitchen sink!
    3) Toppings: mozarella AND....see below for ideas.
    4) Supplies: grater, saucepan, skillet, blender if you're making pesto, garlic press and rolling pin if you have them (not necessary), pizza pan, cutting board, a knife, a little towel, a little bowl, a big bowl, and a spoon.

Dough:
    Put about 1 cup of lukewarm water in a bowl. Add a teaspoon of active yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Cover bowl with towel. Wait until yeast "eats" the sugar. Then on a clean counterspace or in a giant mixing bowl, add water to 1 cup of unbleached flour (white, wheat, or a combo). Add another 1/2 cup of water to dough. Knead! Continue adding flour or water until you reach a "doughy" consistency. (Heheh.)
    By that I mean, knead until it's not sticky, not crumbly. If your hands look like they have leprosy, that's a good thing.

Now add a tablespoon of olive oil to your ball of dough. Knead some more. Add a spice! Rosemary is my favorite. Knead. Fold dough into ball. Cover. You can wait, if you want, for your dough to rise. I usually start on the sauce and so forth at this time.

Sauce:
    Red sauce or green?

I like pesto on pizza. Pesto is simple! Put several cloves of garlic, a bunch of basil, about 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, 1/3 - 1/2 cup of olive oil, and some walnuts (or pine nuts if you're wealthy or splurging) into a blender. Blend! Voila! (Add more olive oil and punch the mixture down with a chopstick if it seems to get stuck.)

But red is good, too. I usually saute some onions and garlic in a skillet, in oil, until the onions are translucent. I'll add some oregano, basil, or whatever's handy and fresh (mushrooms and maybe a little chili paste). Then I'll pour 1/2 to 1 can of tomato paste into a saucepan and add a 32 oz can of tomatoes (chopped into any consistency). Cook it at about medium heat. Stir occassionally.

Preheat your oven! I set it to about 375 or so.

Back to the dough:
    Put a dab of olive oil onto a pizza pan. Spread the dough onto the pan. Feel free to push it across with your fingers. Go at it at 45 degree angles, like you're playing piano. Massage the dough! Mmmm. If you want, put a teeny bit more oil on it to help push the dough across the pan. Tilt the edges up a bit so that the dough (and not your oven) soaks up the oil. When the crust-part looks level (except for the edges), put it in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes.

Assemble!
    Remove undone crust from oven. Spoon sauce onto the dough until it's just covered. I slather it if the crust has risen considerably and spread lightly if the crust is thin. Sprinkle grated mozarella all over it.

Toppings:
    My favorite toppings for pizza are portabello mushrooms and avocados. I love cooked, sliced avocados.

But you can add anything you want! Try artichokes, garden tomatoes, and olives. A pizza place in town adds half an apricot to the end of each slice. A friend of mine uses sliced bananas. Go wild! I love adding chanterelle mushrooms fresh-picked and soaked (if dried), sundried tomatoes (not oil-packed), and broccoli florets too.

Cook assembled pizza for about 10-12 minutes, longer if the dough seems undercooked To test it, I slice into the pizza (the cut is about 2-inches in length) and lift up that corner. If the dough seems to have two different colors (cooked and undercooked parts), leave the pizza in the oven for awhile longer.

Slice into "pizza-shaped" triangles and serve yourself and your friends. :chef The pizza, that is. Though I'm sure you taste good too.

Shayla, you’re makin’ me hungry (and everyone else, I hadn’t seen the added recipes. Mmm…lobster…mmmm…..foood…)

Shayla, your yummy pizza recipe reminded me of this....

I’m telling you right now, there is not a soul on the planet who does not love this Bruschetta. Unbelievable. (It’s not my recipe, however, but I’ve made it billions of times, and people love it - I recommend going easy on the onion, and instead of adding it right to the mixture, I leave it out, and put a sprinkling on each slice instead. I've also used shallots instead of the red onion.).

Artichoke Bruschetta

1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated
    artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
    1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
    5 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 French baguette, cut into
    1/3 inch thick slices

Directions
    1 Preheat the broiler.
    2 In a medium bowl, mix marinated artichoke hearts,
    Romano cheese, red onion and mayonnaise. Top French baguette
    slices with equal amounts of the artichoke heart mixture.
    Arrange slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
    3 Broil in the preheated oven 2 minutes, or until
    toppings are bubbly and lightly browned.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Mm, Shazzer. I will definitely try that one!

Wednesdays my husband cooks and tonight I have to say it came out great. He took a can of cheddar cheese soup (yes, this is a real product), a jar of salsa and poured it over chicken and baked it. We had it with rice and a salad - it tastes a lot better than it sounds!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Honey BBQ Ribs

Every time I cook these they try to eat the bones too

INGREDIENT QUANTITY
    • Honey 1 cup
    • Worcestire Sauce 1/2 cup
    • Cayenne Pepper Sauce 1 cup
    • Cumin 2 tbsp
    • Chili Powder 2 tbsp
    • Apple Juice 1 quart
    Combine above ingredients in a nonreactive container (Glass or plastic, no metal bowls). Marinate ribs in mixture for 1 to 3 days covered. I prefer the meaty country style ribs myself! This is enough marinade for about 4 to 6 racks of baby back ribs. You want to make sure the ribs are completely covered.
    Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove 1 cup of marinade, add 1/2 quart beer, cover and cook ribs in the marinade untill tender' approx. 2 - 3 hours. You can tell ribs are done when you can twist the bones.
    • Barbecue Sauce 1 cup
    • Honey 1 cup
    • Dijon Mustard 1/2 cup
    Place 1 cup marinade in sauce pan and reduce by half. Mix BBQ sauce, honey and dijon mustard with reduced marinade. Brush ribs with this sauce and finish on grill or you can finish off in hot oven.
    Enjoy! :chef

Pasta Salad

Quick and easy, I usually serve this with my ribs. I made this along with my ribs while on vacation in TN and my buddy just emailed for the recipe for both.
    1 package of macaroni shells
    1 package Fiesta Blend frozen vegetables (most every store has their own brand i.e.Food Club, Krogers, etc. It has broccoli, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, snap beans, red peppers)
    1 bottle Peppercorn Ranch dressing
    1-8 oz package of Cheddar Cheese.
    Cook and drain noodles. Dice cheese and mix together. Chill for 2 to 3 hours before serving. (Both you and the salad!)

Closed Thread