I continue to voraciously read health books. Two outstanding ones on very different subjects but critically similar themes Ė

The End of Alzheimerís (2017) by Dale Bredesen, and Cancer as a Metabolic Disease (2012) by Thomas Seyfried. (Seyfriedís book is essentially a text book and very expensive Ė Travis Christoffersonís Tripping Over the Truth is a more affordable and comprehensible discussion of what Seyfried has to say, but the main nuts and bolts are in Seyfriedís book.) I have also seen many online interviews of and lectures by Bredesen and Seyfried which is where I came to greatly respect both these guys. They epitomize where medicine needs to head if we are to get a handle on our rampant chronic diseases.

Alzheimerís and cancer (at least solid tumors) Ė both absolutely natural and predictable conditions from lifestyle imbalances. Genetics has very little to do with it!

Bredesen is the first to lay out for me why amyloid plaque develops and is a concern. Itís actually a protective response to one or more of three types of insults - inflammation (like insulin resistance or infection), a lack of brain-supporting nutrients or conditions (like thyroid imbalance), and toxins (like mercury). Similar to osteoporosis where over time more bone cells are destroyed than are replaced, Alzheimerís develops because more synapses are destroyed than are replaced. One of amyloidís roles is to get rid of not-so-important synapses so depleted resources can go to maintaining and repairing the most critical synapses. This means that Alzheimerís is not only avoidable, but cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's, more easily in earlier stages, can be reversed. You just have to take better care of yourself, but first you need to know what your individual issues are because there may be many issues you need to shore up. That can involve a great deal of testing that is not typical for regular health diagnostics, but even if you need to pay for it, it's an excellent investment compared to dealing with dementia. It also means the current monotherapy drug treatments cannot work because they donít address enough issues. However, they might be helpful in the context of addressing the broader picture, something conventional medicine isnít ready to explore.

Seyfried was the first to lay out for me that solid tumor cancer is not at all a genetic disease. Random genetic mutations are not the cause of cancers, they are downstream impacts from mitochondrial dysfunction. Mitochondriaís main function within the cell is to provide energy for the cell. Billions of years ago mitochondria were bacteria that somehow linked up in a symbiotic relationship with other cells. If you stress them too much, instead of self-destructing they can just revert to their ancient bacterial ways, where itís every cell for itself and uncontrolled growth. This means that cancer is not only avoidable, but even reversible. Not by further insulting remaining healthy mitochondria with the poisons of chemo and radiation, both carcinogenic, but by creating an environment where healthy mitochondria can flourish but ones that have turned cancerous cannot. There may be a role for conventional treatments, but as an adjunct to the protocols Seyfried recommends.

In my health readings, I need to see the underlying biochemical and physiological mechanisms before Iíll consider a theory. Bredesen and Seyfried both get me there.