+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Home Delivery - Groceries

Home Delivery - Groceries

I have been using Vons (Safeway) for more than four years, but lately the pickers are not picking. This is the second time in a month I've had to trek to Stater Bros, ride one of their carts, and finish filling my list. Today it was 1/3 of the list. So - plastered on the wall above the scooter carts was a sign for Instacart delivery. Soon as I got home and put groceries away, I took a look and saved it. I'll sign up and use it next week.

Of course, I could also try Prime if Instacart doesn't work out.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Home Delivery - Groceries

I use FreshDirect - I'm really happy with their service - if something is amiss they give me a credit. It's so great to sit on my couch and shop.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Well THIS thread is timely! I just got my first Amazon Fresh delivery this morning! I've been sick and just got home from vacation, so I had very little food in the house and zero energy to go out to buy groceries. I signed up for a free month trial of AF. I ordered a selection of shelf stable good - canned soups, crackers, cereal, etc. - and produce and was happy with all of it. The bananas I ordered are VERY green. Like apple green. I'm sure they'll ripen in a day or two. Otherwise, all of the produce looks great.

The only downside is that I now have three of their large totes in my kitchen. They say they'll pick them back up when you order next, but who knows when that will be? Will I have to order successively smaller things so that I only end up with ONE tote before I cancel my free trial? Maybe when my final order is delivered I'll quick grab the inner plastic bag of the tote and give the tote to the mail carrier Anyone know if you can just take them to the post office for return?

I've done Safeway home delivery in the past and was never impressed with the produce, which is a problem. Produce generally makes up a huge portion of my grocery cart. I remember getting the tiniest potatoes I'd ever seen and it was a per order vs. a weight order (ie. 3 potatoes vs. 1 lb of potatoes). Plus, their delivery prices are pretty high - $7.99 IIRC - unless you bought certain items or had a discount code, which I rarely did.

I'm not going to keep the Amazon Fresh account, but it sure came in handy this time. I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for an account on a permanent basis if I needed it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I would think Amazon Fresh might pick from Whole Foods now that it is part of the family. Instatcart has a variety of stores they use - including CVS pharmacy. I haven't delved deeply into their process yet, but look forward to doing that next week. They advertize that the first order over $10 is free.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think Amazon Fresh is free for all orders over $40 and they give you a $25 discount on your first order over $100. I ended up doing that and saving around $30 with that discount and a few others.

I haven't investigated Instacart yet. I feel like I need to save those things for when I'm sick and can't get out to buy groceries, since they often offer free delivery (or low minimum order for free delivery) on the first order. I definitely miss Pink Dot in SoCal years ago. They had a small prepared food menu (best spinach salad ever!) and a selection of groceries too. Plus, the delivery was really fast - more like pizza delivery than most grocery delivery services (ie. right now, vs. "schedule your delivery time tomorrow."). You could get "sick food" and some hot chicken soup or a sandwich. We used to use them for lunch delivery all the time at one job I had.

I actually just now did a search for Pink Dot and it looks like they're relaunching! I don't think they'll be in my area, but that's good news for people in SoCal!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'll have to look for them as well - thanks.

Well, my romance with Amazon Fresh is over! I just got an email from them and they won't be delivering to my neighborhood any more. Alas. As of November 30th, I'm being cut loose. I did get a $20 off code for my trouble AND free delivery on Prime Pantry orders for the next year, so there's that. NO fresh produce or cold items, but at least if I get sick, I have an option to have soup and crackers and cough drops delivered!

I've already placed one order and I'm going to fit in a few more before the end of the month! They carry a few things that I have a hard time finding around town here, including the food for one of my cats.

Has anyone tried Instacart?

I haven't tried delivery but I really like grocery pick-up. Usually I have my list all ready and just can't get motivated to get to the store. I use Wal Mart. It's free and they bring it right to your car. You don't even have to get out.
    Photobabe likes this.
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    They carry a few things that I have a hard time finding around town here, including the food for one of my cats.
    Have you checked out Chewy Dot Com? When it used to be Petfooddirect Dot Com there were periodic discounts on shipping that made it very worth while. Easy to buy cases at a time for discriminating kitties.

FORT Fanatic

No delivery in my area but there are various personal shoppers who are pretty well-regarded. Price just depends on your preferences and the size of your orders. They get a fee plus a percentage of the order but if they are shopping for say 4 people at once, the base fee gets divided 4 ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast