+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry $50,000 just isn't enough

Has anyone read about how this show thinks up its stunts and decides what will be eaten? I remember hearing that the eating stunts were tested first by those in charge of this part of the show. I found that very hard to beleive.

JR.
    From the official site: http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/stunt...igrectum.shtml
    People always ask us how we come up with some of the weird animal parts that are used in our eating stunts. Honestly, all you have to do is spend a little quality time with some butchers and meat packers and you'd be surprised how much you can learn.

Of course, we've all seen the usual cuts of meat that wind up in the grocer's freezer. But have you ever wondered what becomes of all the other stuff? Some of it gets shipped outside of the country, some of it is used for pet food, and some of it winds up in the stomachs of Fear Factor contestants.

Obviously, we only serve our contestants foods that are approved as edible by the USDA. But, let me tell you, the government gives the thumbs-up to some pretty weird stuff. Like pig rectum, for example.

Imagine our delight when we learned we could use pig rectum on the show. Just think of it. Pigs will eat anything. And all the stuff that pigs eat eventually winds up going right through the rectum. Is that really something you want going into your mouth?

We ordered a big box of rectums - known in the butcher business as "bung" - and they arrived at our office in a frozen block. Upon thawing, we were pleasantly surprised to discover that these rectums were bigger than we had ever imagined. Each one was at least a foot long!

We boiled up a couple of them in our Fear Factor kitchen. They were white and rubbery with a salty, fatty taste and - surprise! - a bad smell. A few of us tried a bite and agreed it was disgusting.

The problem was in figuring out how many of these things a person could eat in one sitting. So we put in a call to Johnny Tong, a part-time sideshow performer who sometimes serves as a professional taste tester for the show. Johnny's got a pretty tough stomach and is willing to try just about anything.

Johnny came to the office and we placed four cooked rectums in front of him. He chowed down his first rectum in three minutes and finished off his second one in another three minutes. Hmm, we thought, could this be too easy?

No way. After eating his second rectum, Johnny was showing signs of slowing down. The fatty taste was really starting to get to him and he seemed ready to hurl. He was working on his third rectum when he hit the wall. Voila! We decided the contestants would have to eat up to four of them.

Now all we needed was some kind of game to determine exactly how many rectums -- 0 to 4 -- each contestant would have to eat. With the help of the Los Angeles Police Department, we came up with a game involving targets and high-powered CAR-15 rifles.

It's not every day that our contestants get to fire off a couple of rounds of ammo and chow down a few rectums. You're not going to want to miss this one.

by RICH BROWN
    And the FAQ: http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/faq.shtml

Hey thanks for all that info. Very interesting.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    Obviously, we only serve our contestants foods that are approved as edible by the USDA. But, let me tell you, the government gives the thumbs-up to some pretty weird stuff. Like pig rectum, for example.
    Very interesting, I never thought about all that stuff being approved by the USDA. Ick. :phhht

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Very interesting, I never thought about all that stuff being approved by the USDA. Ick. :phhht

Ha! And you guys are all worried about mad cow disease!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Terena79
    There have been times when i've seen a bug on a wall across the room from me, where I would have PAID $50,000 to have someone kill it for me. I just don't do bugs.

Thats hysterical! I'm exactly the same way. *getting chills just thinking about bugs* AND I'm now up to make sure theres no spiders lurking around. *shivers*

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Buffalo penis. Enough said... I think I'll keep my regular job.

Exactly or anything you bite into and it squirts its juices out... GROSS!
    $50,000 is just NOT enough.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu
    I think I would be ok with the food part. All you have to do is chew and swallow. You can pretend you're eating the big, juicy steak you're going to get to celebrate after you win the money.

I would have a hard time doing anything with heights. I also wouldn't be good with speed challenges. I'm the slow but sure methodical type. I could probably beat anyone in a challenge as long as I had time to observe and plan a strategy but if winning depended on finishing quickly, I would probably be too slow or make too many mistakes.

It would suck to get through all the challenges and then lose the last one, which is usually a speed challenge.

No matter if you pinch your nose or think of some other food while eating that crap... the smell and the taste remind you of what you are really eating. Especially the episode when they ate the pig snout. It was so furry.

What would suck is... get through the "eating challenge" and then lose. So, you ate that for nothing.

I'd like to try some of the first and last challenges, particularly anytthing involving water.
    There is no way in hell I'd ever take part in the second challenge, be it eating or laying in something gross or whatever.
    I can barely watch it most weeks let alone take part.

FORT Fan
    Sure and I know what you mean... its bad enough having to eat or put something gross in your mouth.. but tonights episode your partner first puts something in his/her mouth then spits it through a tube ending in the other persons mouth. OMG! How GROSS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast