+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Season 2, Episode 9 January 18, 2011

Season 2, Episode 9 January 18, 2011

As much as I didn't really like Calvin throughout the show, I'm thrilled that he and Danielle won tonight. I loved that they had so many different types of pieces in their collection and their palette. (I wasn't crazy about the "no shoes" thing, but I understood where it was coming from.)

The finale should be great. I'm glad Jeffrey made it...I thought he was a much stronger designer than Caesar.

Re: Season 2, Episode 9 January 18, 2011

I felt the same way. The house of emerald's collection was just boring in comparison to what House of Nami did. I didn't love all the pieces in Nami's collection but the ones I liked I was so much more drawn to than Emerald's. I thought it was Caesar's time to go. Kind of like Eduardo last week. Caesar made some pretty clothes but I felt he kind of lost his way in this competition. He obviously started out strong, but he was supposedly so good that they sent him to the other team and the other team, despite all the juggling of team members, never did that great under his direction.

While I don't like Calvin it was touching to see how excited he was. I liked that Danielle was able to set aside her differences with him and really work with him. She didn't really have a vision but actually trusted him and it payed off for her. She caught his excitement and rather than fighting with him worked with him. I think that was one thing that Nami was able to do that Emerald wasn't able to do - work with Calvin. He was difficult to work with, but Nami was able to. Supposedly Calvin was the reason they were losing, but that wasn't the case as Calvin was on the winning side much more than he was on the losing side. Maybe, if Emerald had been able to work with him, despite his abrasiveness they might have done better.

I never would have thought the 3 that made it to the finale would be there in the end. Unlike PR though I never really disagreed with the judges. It never made me wonder what they were smoking when they let someone go. Danielle didn't start out strong, and she's made some really wacko pieces, but I hope she wins. I reserve the right to change my mind though after I see the final 3 collections

How cute is it to see Dominique running into David's arms next week in the promo? (I think his name is David, right?)

I must admit I really liked both runway shows. I liked how the designers were explaining their visions. I was a bit surprised and not surprised to see Cesar go. I honestly think that the producers were holding on to Calvin mainly for the drama he created. If he hadn't done something spectacular this episode I do think he would have been dropped. Reality shows can hold onto drama queens for ratings only up to a point else the fans will turn on them. If Calvin had not produced this episode he would have been gone.

The best part of the episode was the 45 minute challenge given to Cesar and Jeffrey to fix their mistakes. That was brilliant.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4154738;
    The best part of the episode was the 45 minute challenge given to Cesar and Jeffrey to fix their mistakes. That was brilliant.
    I'm a fan of that challenge. I too thought it was brilliant. It was amazing what they did in 45 mins too! It didn't delay the decision until the finale but did give the judges something to choose between (or longer to deliberate )

I think what I liked most was that I have no problem with who the judges have chosen for the final 3. I would be happy for any of them to win since they are all extremely talented and have worked very hard all season.
    I can't always say I agree with PR's judges. And sometimes, I get the feeling that PR's judges say things just to be witty at the expense of the contestant. They also seem to be much more ego driven than Iman and Issack. Iman may seem diva-ish but she doesn't make it all about her.

Okay - now I'm on board with this season! What I found interesting was that Calvin purposefully carried over the flavor of the previous challenge with the couture elements. That challenge was completed the day before, right? I also loved that the judges gave Cesar and Jeffrey a sew-off challenge with the re-purposing of the designs deemed the worst of the three. Can you believe 2 days for three outfits...now for the finale, it's 9 looks in 7 days. OMG!

One week for nine looks whereas PR lets their finalists take what - two months? - for a ten look collection? This should be good! I am so looking forward to see how they conceptualize, design, find fabric and sew their individual collections in a week. Will they (or we) have time to catch breath?

Another question - does their week start as soon as they walked off the runway this past episode - no time off to recharge?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fanatic

[QUOTE=While I don't like Calvin it was touching to see how excited he was. I liked that Danielle was able to set aside her differences with him and really work with him. She didn't really have a vision but actually trusted him and it payed off for her. She caught his excitement and rather than fighting with him worked with him. I think that was one thing that Nami was able to do that Emerald wasn't able to do - work with Calvin. He was difficult to work with, but Nami was able to. Supposedly Calvin was the reason they were losing, but that wasn't the case as Calvin was on the winning side much more than he was on the losing side. Maybe, if Emerald had been able to work with him, despite his abrasiveness they might have done better.

I never would have thought the 3 that made it to the finale would be there in the end. Unlike PR though I never really disagreed with the judges. It never made me wonder what they were smoking when they let someone go. Danielle didn't start out strong, and she's made some really wacko pieces, but I hope she wins. I reserve the right to change my mind though after I see the final 3 collections [/QUOTE]

I agree --one of the best parts of the episode was when Danielle "got" Calvin's vision, and started getting really into it.
    And yes--I would not have thought of these three in the finale (possibly Jeffrey). I think Eduardo and Cesar were played up to be the front runners early on.
    Finally...and I know this is unkind BUT...I am so glad I won't have to see Cesar's rotten (or should I say rottING) teeth any more. So depressing to me to see a talented, good guy like him with such a horrendous mouth. It was even starting to affect his speech.

I finally got to see the episode.
    Sorry, but I really didn't like the designs that Calvin and Danielle came up with, at all.
    I thought they looked pretty frightful.
    That pregnant model was just too horror looking model for me. And, the rest of their designs, were pretty frightful too.
    I did love seeing the final competition of Jefffrey and Cesar reworking their dresses. Those came out lovely.
    You couldn't pay me $$ to wear any of Calvin's or Danielle's earth, wind, water designs - way too scary and ugly!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread