+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 5/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by kayskate;3464180;
    I was POed for Daniella. She was robbed. Obviously she did not want to be on the losing team, and she helped the raincoat guy. The decent thing for him to do would have been to acknowledge her contribution before she said anything. I also did not like how the judges (esp Norma Kamali) told her it was "her secret". Maybe that is true when you are a design director, but this is a contest. Are they a team or aren't they? She definitely contributed heavily to his win. Next time, she should use her ideas for herself, especially if the judges do not plan to acknowledge teamwork on individual garments.

Kay
    I can't believe that Kamali would encourage Daniela to keep "her secret"!! I'm sure that in the real world Kamali would make a beeline to her phone calling her lawyers to discuss intellectual property infringement if someone stole her design(s)! And even if there were collaborations, they would be fools (and at this stage of their careers, I assume that Mizrahi is nobody's fool) not to have legal documents drawn up to their mutual financial and benefit. They just scolded her to make her look like she has sour grapes.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I thought it was total crap that they forced Daniela to keep 'her secret' That was her design! I'm sure if he had given her credit for it she would have been fine with it. She wasn't asking to get the win, she was saying that he should have credited her for helping him rather than just standing their smirking and smiling about how wonderful he was.

I'm so sick of the teams! It's not fair to poor Reco. He should have won. It looks like from the previews that they finally get rid of them next show, i hope so.

If I were Daniela? I'd never help anybody else again. If you are going to be called to task for wanting credit for the help? Then why bother helping somebody else win? It's a competition and I'm with the rest of you. I don't for a minute buy that those designers would keep quiet about somebody using their designs and pretty much stealing them.

I find the discussions in the closet funny! It's so low budget that it cracks me up. It's their first season, remember how low budget ANTM was their first season? I'm sure this show will be much better next season but I like it. It gives me my design fix and I'll take it. I'm willing to give the show a chance to develop it's legs and work out all the first season kinks.

FORT Fogey

I think that Daniela wasn't expecting her idea to be a hit. Why didn't she keep that idea for her garment and had proposed something else for Andrew (like the idea she used on the garment that she made)? Had the idea not worked, would she have wanted an acknowledgement (or would Andrew have blamed her at judging)? Had the execution been poor, would the garment still have won (since execution is a very intrical part at judgement, noting several bottom 2 (or 3) garments landed at the bottom due to poor execution)?

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;3466193;
    I can't believe that Kamali would encourage Daniela to keep "her secret"!! I'm sure that in the real world Kamali would make a beeline to her phone calling her lawyers to discuss intellectual property infringement if someone stole her design(s)! And even if there were collaborations, they would be fools (and at this stage of their careers, I assume that Mizrahi is nobody's fool) not to have legal documents drawn up to their mutual financial and benefit. They just scolded her to make her look like she has sour grapes.
    It happens more frequently than you would think; the fashion industry can be an extremely dirty business. If you work for a label or a designer, all the credit goes to that label, not to you. Over time, the best designers are able to carve a name for themselves and are able to snag a contract that enables them to get credit within the label (ie: Tom Ford for Gucci, Stella McCartney for Chloé , etc). Otherwise, what you do isn't considered yours.

Even well known designers aren't immune. There's a lot of "designer x hiring someone to work with (and spy) on designer y to see what he's up to so designer x can come up with something similar but better" that goes on; so much that there really isn't a lot of "sneak peaks" of collections before the shows. The staff is made to sign agreements and security checks for cameras and other contraband before they leave.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;3466193;
    Remember a seaon or so ago when the obnoxious designer created the "feathered" wedding dress and all the judges were saying that it was almost a direct copy of a high fashion design. They did nothing about the rip off even tho in looking at the two designs, it was obvious that the student designer had obviously copied the original. So, maybe copying doesn't matter that much in the land of fashion design.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

What stuns me is that these non sewing designers agreed to come on the show at all.
    Have they not watched Project Runway?
    Did they think that there would be an army of patternmakers and seamstresses at their beck and call?
    All of the non-sewers deserve to go home now. I was wishing that they would send home BOTH of the bottom two this week.
    The egos on some of these people are just astonishing.

Remember Jillian saying she didn't want to work on somebody else's vision when she was practically offered a job after the Metropolitan Museum of Art challenge. She was not going to get any real credit for the work she was going to do, even if everybody in the industry would have known. That's the way it works when you are in a team. A lot of famous paintings by people like Rembrandt have been re-attributed because they were actually done by apprentices in the artist's workshop. I am not saying it is right, but Isaac and Norma Kamali were not off the mark in their comments. I would love the hear the horror stories about their apprenticeships.

Anyone not feeling Kelly Rowland as the host...sometimes I can't understand what she is saying!
    I love I.M....he has a lot of attitude, and I am pretty sure I own a piece of his collection... (so he has mass appeal in a way).

It seems pretty clear to me that there are some designers here who have already found some fame (and clients) and it shows...they consistently turn out good work (not always new and crazy, but definitely 'good,' consistent garments).

The other bravo show, make me a supermodel...did the mods close that thread on this site?

Oh...that reminds me, some of the models from NY Model Management were terrible, the one wearing that white/cream weirdness with the puffy skirt around the side, was stomping all over the place (this isnt brazil, darling). I think they should just bring over the contestants from Make Me a Supermodel and save some money!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3467845;
    Remember a seaon or so ago when the obnoxious designer created the "feathered" wedding dress and all the judges were saying that it was almost a direct copy of a high fashion design. They did nothing about the rip off even tho in looking at the two designs, it was obvious that the student designer had obviously copied the original. So, maybe copying doesn't matter that much in the land of fashion design.
    Yeah, for example, look at the inexpensive copies of the super-expensive designer gowns worn to the Academy Awards - these copies come out immediately after the Awards, and are openly shown on TV and applauded.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3467140;
    It happens more frequently than you would think; the fashion industry can be an extremely dirty business. If you work for a label or a designer, all the credit goes to that label, not to you. Over time, the best designers are able to carve a name for themselves and are able to snag a contract that enables them to get credit within the label (ie: Tom Ford for Gucci, Stella McCartney for Chloé , etc). Otherwise, what you do isn't considered yours.

Even well known designers aren't immune. There's a lot of "designer x hiring someone to work with (and spy) on designer y to see what he's up to so designer x can come up with something similar but better" that goes on; so much that there really isn't a lot of "sneak peaks" of collections before the shows. The staff is made to sign agreements and security checks for cameras and other contraband before they leave.

oh wow, no i sure didnt know that! That really is a shame b/c i think Daniella is really talented and i say good for her speaking up for herself when someone else was trying to take credit for her ideas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast