+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue-Collar Relatives Vie for $1 Mil in ABC Show

Blue-Collar Relatives Vie for $1 Mil in ABC Show

Blue-Collar Relatives Vie for $1 Mil in ABC Show

Mon Feb 10,12:26 AM ET
    By Michael Schneider and Josef Adalian

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - ABC has picked up a reality series that pits one large, extended family's members opposite each other for a chance at $1 million.

"The Family" takes a blue-collar clan -- mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. -- and plops them in a West Palm Beach, Fla., mansion to compete for the top prize.

It includes a "fish out of water" element (average family suddenly has every whim catered to by a staff of butlers and maids) and a twist: even if they're voted out of the competition, family members can't leave the house.

"You're stuck with your family regardless of the outcome," said ex-"Iyanla" showrunner Mindy Moore, who created the show. "So you always deal with the consequence of your actions."

The show's hook also lies in a group of "secret trustees" who actually guard the $1 million fortune. Viewers find out who those people are in episode one, but the family doesn't find out until the very end.

Players who lose a competition will have to appear before the trustees and must name another family member to come with. One gets to stay -- and one is out of the game, per the secret board's decision.

George Hamilton has been tapped to host "The Family," which is already close to wrapping its 28-day production schedule. ABC has ordered nine hourlong segs for primetime. It's unknown at this point when the show will air.

The network gave few details about the chosen family, other than it contains 10 members.

"They're a family that no one will ever forget," Moore said. "The family's incredible. They're funny and very competitive...For the first time in their lives, they're living the millionaire's fantasy. They're kind of being plopped in the midst of a comedic 'Dynasty."'

Reality veteran Arnold Shapiro ("Big Brother 3") is on board as an executive producer.

Bumping this for Cali, and others. This is the original release on the show.

George Hamilton, huh? How long did they have to root around at the City Dump before they found his leathery body?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paulie
    George Hamilton, huh? How long did they have to root around at the City Dump before they found his leathery body?
    Paulie, apparently they needed look no further than the last Woody Allen film - "Hollywood Ending". Of course, I was still surprised because I never even heard of the film. Apparently it was released in May of 2002.

All this Hamilton talk makes me want to find a copy of "Zorro, the Gay Blade" again!

(Okay, not really, I just wanted to use the fencing icon. )

+ Reply to Thread