+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it real?

FORT Newbie

Was it real?

Oh, I so hope this was real. The show was terrific, really entertaining and suspenseful, with a great premise ("The Help" determine part of the outcome), a marvelous host (is there anyone more perfect at this stuff than George Hamilton), and a suspiciously happy ending. Thats when I began to wonder . . . .

We just happen to have here 9 members of a related family, and one outsider. The secret panel just happens to select the outsider to go against the rest of the family. The family just happens to pick the biggest idiot among them, that brat Anthony, to compete in the final showdown.

And then not only does the idiot win, but he writes a statement which has an eloquence about it which he has not previously demonstrated, and which sounds suspiciously like it was written by a professional writer.

Oh please, don't tell me this was fake. I want to believe it all happened as presented. But I am so very suspicious, too many coincidences which just happened to converge into a marvelous and satisfying bit of entertainment television.

Could it be that it was all staged? What do you think?

(I also did not like the fact that luck appears to have played such a role
    in determining the final outcome, when both skill and merit appeared to be the qualities that led to the winning of all previous competitions).

I'm sure it's real...

I seem to recall news articles of unhappy residents of West Palm Beach during filming.

yes the sincerity of this show is put into question with everything you listed and the mere fact this show's season was delayed in such a long period.... remeber The Family series started in early spring, april i think..... but was cancelled after two episodes and not until after several months in the back burner that the show was revived back in the summer and we have what we have now.

So what the abc producers did to the show during those missing months is beyond me..... anything could've happen, re-shot the whole show perhaps? editing for better plot than it originally was? We just don't know.

Yet I don't have any compliants either. The ending was great and it has been a satisfying series. The show's much better than some other realities series with their mindless and cheezy antics... but this family is much more than that and more interesting than say the usual, "cupid" or "fame" or some other crap...

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Gentil, welcome to the FORT.

I don't think there's any way this was staged. :nono

The ending did seem a little too perfect with 10 family members each getting $100,000. I also wondered if the show was scripted.

It was good to see George Hamilton during the series and a happy ending. This was the first reality show that presented One Million in crisp bills without any catches, deductions, or annuities.

It was probably one of the greatest reality shows- one of the only ones that I couldn't wait till it was Wednesday night.

I don't think it was staged, but I did think it was very strange of Anthony to split the money with everyone who competed.

FORT Newbie

As Real As They Get

As one of the Supervising Producers of THE FAMILY, I can assure you that none of the game-related events were fixed in any way. We sometimes heighten the reality with music and editing techniques, but we never change the context of the main events...as the show is in effect a gameshow, it would be not merely unethical, but illegal as well.

As for the ending, we lucked out big-time! None of us had any idea who the Board of Trustees would choose as their champion. And many of the production staff thought that Dawn Marie would be the board's pick. And as far as the family's own pick...we were shocked when Dawn Marie received no votes...and Robert only one.

As for the show-down between Mike and Anthony, who on earth could have predicted that? Mike was way ahead from the beginning, and after winning part 1 of the competition, he had a 2 out of 3 chance of winning the million!

As for the money in the safe, all production personnel were cleared from the room before the money was placed in the safe so that no one on the crew could give it away with the slightest eye gesture. Only the field Supervising Producer and Executive Producers knew where the money was....and believe me, our entire show team was shocked when Mike lost.

Still, Anthony's speech (which he wrote entirely on his own, as he stayed up all night sick from the gourmet delicacies he had scarfed down in the competition) was the biggest surprise of all. We all expected Anthony to keep the money at least within his immediate family, if not entirely for himself. But it couldn't have ended any better, and I cry whenever I watch the final moments of that show.

The only tears we were suspicious of were George Hamilton's, as he is a trained actor and capable of crying on cue...but after watching the footage many times, the editors and I absolutely believe that George, like the rest of us, was truly touched by Anthony's speech.

I only hope that I'll once again have an opportunity to work on a show as real and meaningful as THE FAMILY.

Thank you for watching!

John Platt
    Supervising Producer
    The Family

John, thanks so much for sharing the "inside scoop" with us! It means a lot that the supervising producer of a show takes the time to answer questions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMaker
    As one of the Supervising Producers of THE FAMILY, I can assure you that none of the game-related events were fixed in any way. We sometimes heighten the reality with music and editing techniques, but we never change the context of the main events...as the show is in effect a gameshow, it would be not merely unethical, but illegal as well.

As for the ending, we lucked out big-time! None of us had any idea who the Board of Trustees would choose as their champion. And many of the production staff thought that Dawn Marie would be the board's pick. And as far as the family's own pick...we were shocked when Dawn Marie received no votes...and Robert only one.

As for the show-down between Mike and Anthony, who on earth could have predicted that? Mike was way ahead from the beginning, and after winning part 1 of the competition, he had a 2 out of 3 chance of winning the million!

As for the money in the safe, all production personnel were cleared from the room before the money was placed in the safe so that no one on the crew could give it away with the slightest eye gesture. Only the field Supervising Producer and Executive Producers knew where the money was....and believe me, our entire show team was shocked when Mike lost.

Still, Anthony's speech (which he wrote entirely on his own, as he stayed up all night sick from the gourmet delicacies he had scarfed down in the competition) was the biggest surprise of all. We all expected Anthony to keep the money at least within his immediate family, if not entirely for himself. But it couldn't have ended any better, and I cry whenever I watch the final moments of that show.

The only tears we were suspicious of were George Hamilton's, as he is a trained actor and capable of crying on cue...but after watching the footage many times, the editors and I absolutely believe that George, like the rest of us, was truly touched by Anthony's speech.

I only hope that I'll once again have an opportunity to work on a show as real and meaningful as THE FAMILY.

Thank you for watching!

John Platt
    Supervising Producer
    The Family
    Thanks John for responding.. It means a lot to get the inside info. on shows. I think the networks should visit FORT more often How did you find out about it?
    - R.I.P. John Ritter - You will be missed!!!!
    - Erika in BB4 Rocks! Aliwhore sucks
    - Carolyn & Ethan in Race To The Alter Rocks!! Cindy the Witch sucks
    - The Amazing Race & Survivor Rulez!!!!!
    - I'm never watching For Love Or Money where only Gold Diggers like Erin win.. Such a sad statement for society..
    - Cousin Mike in "The Family" is a Hottie!!!!!
    - THE FAMILY was the "Most" emotionally satisfying reality show ever!!

Great! Not fixed at all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast