+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: mixed feelings

sqz
    FORT Newbie

mixed feelings

I had mixed feelings about this show. My dad is a funeral director and always regarded his professional as a very sacred one. He never talked about specifics of the business with us which is why I was intrigued to watch the show. As I watched, certain things about it mad me feel sick but I just kept watching. I have to agree with many of you, one of the most disturbing parts was the dad putting that body in the car with the kids. What an idiot, I wouldn't want that guy near my kids.
    I also thought the part with the daughter fighting with her dad and throwing her pizza was stupid. I think they spent to much time filming that fight.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Yeah. The dad putting the body with the kids was pretty disturbing. I wouldn't want to be one of those kids.

ok, I just don't get it about the kids in the van with the body. I didn't find it bad. It was a shipping crate. Please don't try to explain it to me, I will just be confused.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I also have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it could be a good documentary about things behind the scenes that we never get to know, like Airline. But on the other hand, the subject material is somewhat sacred and I think they could've found a more suitable family to focus the show on. They seem kind of "trailer trashy" to me.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    ok, I just don't get it about the kids in the van with the body. I didn't find it bad. It was a shipping crate. Please don't try to explain it to me, I will just be confused.
    I'm gonna anyway

for me it was about respect - yes it was a shipping crate.. but it was a shipping crate that contained someone's human remains. I just think it deserved more respect.
    And those young boys weren't wearing seatbelts - I think that bothers me a thousand times more
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I find the entire premise of this show to be disrespectful towards the families of the deceased that were unfortunate to choose this funeral home.

I'm a huge fan of Six Feet Under, btw. SFU is thought-provoking, darkly comical, and provides an intense look at people's attitudes towards life and death. It's also fiction, nobody's dead aunty is in those coffins. This Family Plots show is just plain nasty. JMO, of course.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I have to disagree AJ (omg there's a first time for everything LoL)
    The families of the deceased would have to give permission for the filming. The staff treats the families and deceased with the respect that I expect. (besides the body in the back of the van with the boys - which I found distasteful)
    I like this glimpse inside the hallowed halls of the mortuary.... but I also like to watch "How its Made" and "Unwrapped"
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Dux.

To sort of echo what Qboots said, if this show was made like a documentary, I would find it far more palatable...I watch plenty of shows like Forensic Files, American Justice, and Cold Case Files, for instance. It has kind of a sideshow atmosphere to it that I don't care for at all. I worked in a personal care home for awhile with terminally ill people, and although the staff would make jokes and remarks that a lot of people would consider to be pretty sick (kind of a coping method - laugh or go crazy), we would never repeat stuff like that in front of the residents' families.

Point being...I don't know if showing stuff like shoving a crate with someone's remains in it in the back of a van with little kids is the kind of thing the deceased person's family was counting on seeing when they agreed to let a crew film their loved one's journey to their final resting place.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Exactly AJane.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I've watched 3 episodes of this show now...And I still don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, it's like with any other profession where a majority of the world is not privy to the "behind the scenes, it's interesting / reasurring to know that these people, who deal with death everyday are still capable of feeling, and yet at the same time, it's just their job.

They hate monday's, fight over who's going to answer the phone, talk stink behind each others backs...in otherwords they are human. This show is hard to watch at times...seeing people having to deal with their grief, as we all have, or will have to one day. The sadness I'm sure can be overwhelming at times, yet they manage to be respectful, sympathetic, and behind the scenes...real.

for me this show is taking away some of the mystery, and in effect some of the fear that come with stepping into a funeral home.

...Now as far as the box and the kid and the van goes....I think the old man took a few too many blows to the head while boxing. That was just wrong on so many levels!!!
    Last edited by alaskangurl; 04-27-2004 at 05:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast