+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mixed feelings

I'm hooked on Family Plots. I think it is realistic, and I think the family chosen for this role is utterly perfect. They are quirky, down to earth (no pun),
    stupid ( as we all are, at times), sensitive, complex,working for a living kind of people. For me it is a delightful decent into a world many of us know very little about...very realistic. I can picture a funeral home being like this behind the scene's. After all, it IS a business. This show is quirky, but entertaining. I'll be watching! Also I think people make to big a deal about the kids in the van with the deceased. (although I do agree on the seat belt issue). And sorry to offend anyone but tiny caskets, and abandoned babies are a part of life...ah, HELLO!
    remember hoofbeats are the heartbeats of life.

with Safe Haven laws tiny caskets and abandonded babies don't HAVE to be a fact of life that's why its against the law.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

to the FORT
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

ok people, lets watch ourselves, I can see this getting out of hand and I don't feel like slapping hands now.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    ok people, lets watch ourselves, I can see this getting out of hand and I don't feel like slapping hands now.
    Ilikai, I like the posts in this thread. I didn't perceive any hostility here, but maybe I'm missing something. I thought we were having an adult "conversation" here. Naturally, everyone will have differing opinions about the subject, but those opinions are what makes this site work. And isn't that what the Fort is all about?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

just giving a warning before things get "passionate". The conversation is good so far, just that I can see things getting heated soon, it happens in a lot of threads here AI3 for example and just don't like to see that here. Just remember that everyone has an opinion and they are all right.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

[sarcasm]Especially MINE.[/sarcasm]
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I think we all can get a little touchy on the subject of death, but don't they show shows like ER, women having babies (Lifetime), weddings (Lifetime), etc.. these are a part of life, and whether we like it or not, death is part of life too. This show has not disrespected any of the deceased, if anything they have treated the bodies with the utmost respect. I am sure that the families of the deceased have agreed to allow their loved one to be filmed, or they wouldn't be filming it. I like the idea of knowing what goes on behind the scenes, and let's not forget these people that work in funeral homes are human beings too. This job would be hard to do and to make sure that you didn't get emotionally attached to the families you were serving. That in itself makes me respect funeral home directors and staff more now, after watching this show. The body being transferred by Chuck on his way to the gym, wasn't in distaste. It's like we all are scared to death to be around a dead body. My dad died five years ago, and if that was him in that box getting flown to be buried elsewhere, I would want to ride in the van with the body on the way to the airport. However, I think he should had taken the body directly to the airport, instead of stopping on his way to the gym, picking children up, etc.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Every person thats filmed has to sign a release, one family member doesn't give Carte Blanc to the rest. If someone doesn't want to be shown, they get the blur.
    Okay, so everyone has to sign a release. The first thing that comes to mind is "who signed for the deceased person?" I have a will, durable power of attorney, all the legal mumbo jumbo that my family will need when I die...but I sure as heck don't have any release to film me after my heart stops beating!! I shudder at the thought of anyone approaching my children asking them if they can film the whole thing.

Like Maveno, and probably a lot of you, I have lost loved ones. I'm not sure what I would do if the funeral director said "Hey, we have tv cameras here and we would like to film the whole thing." I was numb and just going through the motions...I sure couldn't have made a decision at that particular moment (luckily for me, when I was in the position of making decisions...I was armed with very clear instructions from my deceased parents).

Anyway, I thought the handling of the older man was unacceptable. Please shoot my family if they ever announce on national tv that I had no eyebrows in life. And I don't like pictures taken of me when I am living....I sure don't want anyone near me with a camera after I die.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Okay, so everyone has to sign a release. The first thing that comes to mind is "who signed for the deceased person?" I have a will, durable power of attorney, all the legal mumbo jumbo that my family will need when I die...but I sure as heck don't have any release to film me after my heart stops beating!! I shudder at the thought of anyone approaching my children asking them if they can film the whole thing.

Like Maveno, and probably a lot of you, I have lost loved ones. I'm not sure what I would do if the funeral director said "Hey, we have tv cameras here and we would like to film the whole thing." I was numb and just going through the motions...I sure couldn't have made a decision at that particular moment (luckily for me, when I was in the position of making decisions...I was armed with very clear instructions from my deceased parents).

Anyway, I thought the handling of the older man was unacceptable. Please shoot my family if they ever announce on national tv that I had no eyebrows in life. And I don't like pictures taken of me when I am living....I sure don't want anyone near me with a camera after I die.
    I don't want to be callous, so please bear with me. After you pass, as they say, you're not in a position to be making decisions. It's up to your children and other loved ones at that time. If you don't want to be filmed, etc., let your family know before they are faced with that decision.

I've talked to my mom about such things - not the tv cameras issue in particular, but she has told me exactly what she wants and doesn't want and I will certainly treat my mom's wishes with respect. It's a difficult conversation to have with a parent, but I believe it is necessary.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I hate to think A&E would take advantage of distraught family members and exploiting them at a time when they are least capable of making that big a decision. That does cause me concern. Since I don't know all the details, I can't exactly say who is to be blamed, if anyone.

I wasn't bothered by the "eyebrow" incident. I think Shonna did her very best (as she does with all of her people) to make this man look as natural as possible. She made a mistake, but it seemed relatively minor and was fixed in a matter of a couple of minutes. There are many things worse than not having eyebrows.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I don't want to be callous, so please bear with me. After you pass, as they say, you're not in a position to be making decisions. It's up to your children and other loved ones at that time. If you don't want to be filmed, etc., let your family know before they are faced with that decision. .
    I totally agree with you, JD. I have discussed all of the stuff I thought would come up after my death with my children. My parents were open with me (Thank God) so I knew what they wanted. When I did my Revocable Trust - it did not occur to me (or my attorney) to specify that I don't want to end up on a Reality TV show. It's just so bizzare...who would think of that possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I don't want to be callous, so please bear with me. After you pass, as they say, you're not in a position to be making decisions.
    By leaving instructions in my will, revocable trust and durable power of attorney - actually, I am in a position to make the decisions - even after my death. I am sure that my kids aren't going to go on Reality TV with me - I was kind of joking about the eyebrow thing. I don't care what happens to my body after I die - I'm going to be creamated. I just feel for the old guy that probably had no idea that his funeral was going to be on A&E. I also feel for the family. Like you said, we don't know the details - so we aren't in a position to really judge. Who knows? Maybe the old guy signed up with A&E before he died and put it in his will? I am not actually offended by the show at all. I didn't enjoy the two episodes I watched...but heck, I guess I should give it another try since so many FoRT members thought it was good. I tend to trust FoRT members tastes in TV Shows
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast