+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mixed feelings

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I find myself enjoying this show way more than I thought I would. There are parts that I find disturbing. I like how the family shows compassion toward their clients and to the deceased. The care that Chuck took in removing the elderly woman was touching. I was a little disturbed during the shots of the tiny caskets. I just can't imagine anyone abandoning their child like that.

All in all, I think it's a good show. Better than some of the other "reality" shows on air.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

FORT Fogey
    Okay, I'm going so far out on a limb here, you may see me on Family Plots anyday... . I have always been a huge fan of City Confidential (what will become of this amazing show now that Paul Winfield is gone??!!) and a pretty avid fan of some other A&E shows, but Family Plots is now one of my two favorite shows (Arrested Development being the other, talk about a strange contrast). Sure the people are sometimes immature and insensitive to each other. Sure I sometimes cringe at the things I see. But I find myself thinking, "Gee, I hope the funeral home that handles any of my family's arrangements are a group of dedicated, caring people like these." When it comes down to it, these people have more heart for the deceased and their families than I ever imagined in the business... Thanks A&E and thanks to the people who agree to let us see into this very personal business.

It's refreshing to see death treated as part of life for a change. Our culture's sooooo repressed on the subject that we can't even utter the word "die." We use euphemisms like "passed away," as if this biological reality is somehow crass or shameful.
    Such creepy, sterile denial squicks me out more than the joyful irreverence at this funeral home.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I enjoy Family Plots. I look forward to it. I've lost some very close friends and family and I knew was that they had died -cut to- super glue and powder makeup. It makes me feel better to see that, at least in this family, what goes on "behind the scenes" is both comforting and respectful.

I enjoy watching the family work on their interpersonal relationships and other assorted comings and goings in their lives. They are a real family. They show us, without a script, how they feel, what touches them. And the issue regarding Chuck, the shipping crates and the boys in the van - I wouldn't trust Chuck with my children, with or without shipping crates.

Apparently Family Plots was originally sold as a documentary. IMO the marketing department decided to sell it as reality tv simply for the ratings. It's still the same show, with the same contents, just with a different name. I'm okay with that.
    Last edited by J.D.; 04-28-2004 at 04:13 AM.

JD I read something about that too .. I'll try to find the actual article. Apparently this was part of a series called 'take this job' and it was all about strange jobs.. A&E found the family so compelling that they decided to base a series on them. I'm glad that they did. I love this show. IMO it's detractors have mortality issues.

ETA: I read it right here at the FORT A&E 'Dearly' departs on the reality show bandwagon

Departed'' was inspired by an A&E series about unusual occupations called "Take This Job." When a morturary segment was well-received by viewers and network executives, A&E went looking for an interesting family in the funeral business for its own series. The Wissmillers were chosen because they were ''utterly compelling,'' said DeBitetto. ''They were articulate, edgy -- everything you'd want for a scripted show. They just happened to be real.''
    Last edited by Duxxy; 04-28-2004 at 02:16 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    IMO it's detractors have mortality issues.
    Duxxy.... Just cause I may have been/may still be a detractor, it DOES NOT mean that I have mortality issues.
    I have dealt with death more times than I want to even get into, and also...very very hands on and personal. My opinions on this show are my own, for the reasons that I've already stated.. NOT because I am having problems with "dealing with the inevitable". Dealing with the loss of a family member (or anyone else very dear to you) IMO and IME (in my experience), I find it HIGHLY sacred and personal. Something that I believe shouldn't be aired. No matter how many forms these people sign saying it's "ok" to film..I find it wrong.

I just felt like addressing that statement because I have been outspoken earlier in my thoughts about the show. Perhaps it's a good thing you brought it up, cause I wouldn't and don't want anyone to think that that's why I haven't been a huge "fan".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Like most of us posting here, I have experienced the loss of people close to me and I've often been upset at how they look after the embalmer has completed his/her job. This show has given me a new appreciation for their efforts. We may not all die in some horrific accident in which half our face is crushed, but the funeral staff devotes their lives to making our dearly departed look at good as possible for the sake of the deceased and the surviving family. I think that's wonderful and I'll never be critical of funeral directors and their staff again. Thank you A&E and thank you to the people willing to appear on Family Plots.

I'm scared to death of death - thats what I meant by mortality issues.
    I respect your opinion Maveno just as I know you respect mine. I hope you know my statement wasn't directed at you, it was however, directed at the media that panned it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Ahh Duxxy, you know I lub you!! There's never a worry with me/you and a whole bunch of others on the Fort!

Death is something that everyone has thier own way of dealing with. It's just very personal for me, and I find it really hard to understand why these people WOULD sign a waiver allowing [whomever is deceased] to be filmed while being embalmed or anything else for that matter.
    It's just tough for me to understand is all, cause I sure wouldn't.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I wouldn't do it either .. but I sure am glad there are other people out there who will because I'm hooked!!

And besides this is A&E not FOX there's a huge difference. Imagine PoHo in this setting ? ewwwww

btw the 'it' in post 18 is the show it's self Family Plots

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast