+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

4/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion of tonight's show in this thread only, until at least 1am Eastern.

Thanks, and enjoy the show!

Looks like no one watch, I recorded it though

Well, I started to watch the show and it was so chaotic it was hard to keep track of. But, it looked interesting and then my girl friend called. The dad seems to be a hot head as do all the girls in the family. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but figure I'll give it another chance. I did find it interesting how she was preparing the one older man for his viewing. It's amazing how much work goes into trying to make a dead person seem a little less dead (but it never really works)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Looks like no one watch, I recorded it though
    I watched.

It was interesting, but it was a little hard to understand because so many things were going on.

well I did like it that they at least held the dignity of the corpse throughout the show. I do think the father retired too late from boxing and beat one too many guy's fist with his face.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    It wasn't totally bad. The smoking competition cracked me up, but the whole "rush to the gravesite".."body fluid jokes".."picking up a group of boys to ride with the body"..etc.. just demoralizes the sanctity of a corpse IMO. It's hard enough to deal with death, especially in the family...but to watch this family in "action" with the deceased was very uncomfortable. I know they have respect and honor (well, actually I don't)... but for me, If I have to deal with a funeral home again, I don't want to hafta wonder how much "fun" they're having inside. Not to mention perhaps what HAS already happened to my family members and friends that have passed.

This show takes away the "untouchable," emphatically respectful duty of caring for the deceased. They're trying to make it sorta "fun". Also, the embalmer daughter was wearing an OCC shirt... I wonder just how much of their little "tiffs" are staged to make for an interesting show.
    Sure...there are things that they have to do (that's a give-in), but I think it's a profession that IMO and for me... is best unseen.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

question: what is the OCC??

I loved this show. I didn't find it chaotic, you have to multi-task in any job and although many of us would like to think that the funeral directors move at their slow, even, reassuring pace at all times, thats just not the case.

Working with family has to be one of the hardest things to do, taking orders from your child is probably a the hardest. I loved to see the girls joking and fooling around. They have a sense of humour about their chosen profession.
    Never once were they joking with or about the deceased's body. They afforded the deceased their dignity and treated the body with care.
    In the second epi when Shonna and Rick were showing the elderly woman to her family for the I.D. the fun-loving Shonna took a major backseat to business Shonna. Her voice dropped about 10 decibels and she took on a reverent air - even in her scrubs.
    What I saw in 'Family Plots' was a family working together - in spite of their family dynamics, a very business-appropriate approach to the Grieving and 3 woman who know how to blow off some steam.
    The only thing that bothered me about the show was the boys riding in the back of the van with someone's loved one, and the fact that of those we see in vehicles, (Chuck, Rick, asst. Director, the 3 sisters and the 4 boys in the van) .. not one of them wore a seatbelt. You'd think that would be a given in their chosen profession.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

OCC is Orange County Choppers... Discovery channel show American Chopper, following the dysfunctional family that builds custom motorcycles.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    question: what is the OCC??
    It's on TLC. Orange County Choppers, or as it's titled on television, American Chopper. (OCC is the name of the business, the t.v. name is AC) It's about a family that builds custom choppers. If you like watching a family and the working "dynamics", I think you'd enjoy watching it.

I loved this show. I didn't find it chaotic, you have to multi-task in any job and although many of us would like to think that the funeral directors move at their slow, even, reassuring pace at all times, thats just not the case.
    Nah..I don't think all mortuary/funeral workers should work at that pace...or that they should. In my head, I'd like to believe that they do, and perhaps never talk about anything else BUT my family or friend who is lying on the table. I know.... impossible, but that's just me.

Working with family has to be one of the hardest things to do, taking orders from your child is probably a the hardest. I loved to see the girls joking and fooling around. They have a sense of humour about their chosen profession.
    Never once were they joking with or about the deceased's body. They afforded the deceased their dignity and treated the body with care.
    In the second epi when Shonna and Rick were showing the elderly woman to her family for the I.D. the fun-loving Shonna took a major backseat to business Shonna. Her voice dropped about 10 decibels and she took on a reverent air - even in her scrubs.
    What I saw in 'Family Plots' was a family working together - in spite of their family dynamics, a very business-appropriate approach to the Grieving and 3 woman who know how to blow off some steam.
    I agree. They do their jobs, and they get it done. Also, they deal with the families in an orderly, caring manner. I also know that they're being filmed, as they know they're being filmed.
    The only thing that bothered me about the show was the boys riding in the back of the van with someone's loved one, and the fact that of those we see in vehicles, (Chuck, Rick, asst. Director, the 3 sisters and the 4 boys in the van) .. not one of them wore a seatbelt. You'd think that would be a given in their chosen profession.
    Exactly!

I don't hate the show. IMO, it's a place that should be kept "sacred".. almost as if it's a church. The people did sign releases to be filmed, what I say to that.... how tacky of them. Good Lord, give me the respect when I pass away (Zaaam, are you reading this?) to NOT film the reconstruction of my face or the painting of my lips...or worse yet, the taping up of my little finger so the fluids stop dripping out.

There needs to be a limit to where reality shows can be filmed. I believe that this is one such show that shouldn't be aired.
    Last edited by Maveno; 04-21-2004 at 02:19 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I guess to me, whether you sign the release allowing your loved one's embalming process to be filmed is a personal choice. Like the daughter of the woman who'd been in the car wreck said, her mom was gone and the body laying there wasn't her anymore.

I know there are exceptions, but the majority of the people who work in the industry honestly care about what it is they do and the families they work with. Can you imagine working with death and gore and things like body fluids and crushed heads every single day and not finding ways to distance yourself emotionally? Not finding ways to laugh about the process of burying someone? They don't seem to me to be laughing about death or disrespecting someone's body, it seems more like gallows humor becomes a coping mechanism, just like it does in the medical examiner's office and just like cops use.

And, moving on to the actual show...

Dad really is scary. I'm glad to hear he's mellowed a little but hate to imagine his family living in fear of the guy for all those years. I guess I can see why he became a boxer with all that aggressive energy.

The sisters are great, but what in the heck was the oldest sister wearing when they were going out to a club? It looked like her sleeves had been shredded - I thought those shirts went out in the early 80's, eek. Shonna cracks me up and she's also the sweetest of the sisters - loved how personally she took the reconstruction of the grandma's face and how calming and respectful she was with the daughter.

The smoking contest was funny, but really, is there ever a good stress-free time to quit when you work in a place like that? It'd have been more successful if they'd have all had a chance to prepare for it, like getting the patch or some Nicorette or something.

All in all, I like the show and don't find it disrespectful (the exception was Dad's glee at making the four boys sit in the back of the van with the body, not seat-belted, as was already pointed out). If I decide not to watch, it'd probably be because I'm not interested in watching Dad fly off the handle and scream at his daughters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast