+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me...or does Fame disappoint?

Is it just me...or does Fame disappoint?

I happened to catch last week's episode(s) of "Fame" and was desperately disappointed.
    I was hoping for something akin to a Broadway-style audition...
    but the standards were ridiculously low.
    I was more embarrassed for the judges and kids than anything else.
    None of the kids, save one or two, indeed had the "whole package".
    The singers (what few there actually were) couldn't dance. And the dancers could barely sing.
    The guys were superior to all the girls-- vocally, at least.
    The one bright spot was the intro to the first "real" episode where all the kids came on stage and did a little ditty/dance ("my name is...and i came to work")-- then I thought this show was pretty cool and totally different from "american idol" (which was a vocal contest/america chooses who goes/there's little coddling/the voice and the X factor will get you everywhere).
    But the first contestants were dreadful. It was embarrassing to be a viewer.
    Fatone is a cordial guy, but an awful host. *shudder*

I loved this season's "american idol"- it was a ton of fun and plenty of talent to boot.

"Fame" has more aesthetically pleasing contestants (the girls are plenty hot, i guess-- that seems all most of them having going on) and they move around on stage well-- but...it just makes me *shudder*. It has had cool moments, but mostly it's...ghastly.

I could be wrong and I mean for my tone to come out as ligh-hearted and contemplative-- not nasty.

I'm not dogging the kids or anything-- just...the show seems so vapid. Maybe the talent was all-round better this week-- I missed it.
    My older sister and I are very generous with our praise and openness (I voted for Josh Gracin for more than a few weeks on AI2, I admit it...and even saw unique potential in Carmen's voice...etc.)...we were uncomfortable and even horrified by the debacle that was last week's "Fame"...
    it reminded me of last year's AI...come to think of it...pretty people, marginal talent (save Tamyra, Kelly, Justin maybe one or two others...maybe)...
    so there's hope yet... AI 1 & 2 had its share of marginal talent and glitches-- but somehow it pulled it off and was truly fun TV, truly uplifting despite everything (especially season 2).

Is it just me?

Fade to black
    I said that last week in about 300 fewer words. I'm sure you'll be chastised for saying so, but know that (as usual) someone agrees with you. I won't watch it again. I gave it two shots. And yea, I'll stay out of the FAME forum like a good lil' boy.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Oopsiedaisy.

I certainly don't want to be chastised.
    But what other forums should I visit to complain about "Fame"? It certainly wouldn't be appropriate to post my concerns or disappointments with "Fame" in the "AI" archives or something. This is the only appropriate place.
    It might even be nice for "Fame" fans.
    They can vent on this thread at talk nice at all the others...maybe?

I did say nice things-- about how all the contestants are...pretty or hot or sexy or something.

No offense was intended by the original thread.

Lords knows, (in the AI2 forum) John had to constantly reprimand me for posting spoilers early (by accident) and once or twice for, um...language.

Be well, all!

I don't know of anyone who is going to chastise you for saying you don't like the show. I don't think people are as passionate about this show, as some folks are about AI.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I agree, Bill-- else I'd be getting flamed 30 seconds after posting and John would have to referee

I think AI2 came along at just the right time for the public...I don't think any future AI will ever quite compare, either...it's just one of those things. It has less to do with talent than timing...

I think this type of reality/talent-type show, like any show, has a definite (emphasis on "finite") window for success. But it is within a VERY limited time-frame-- and all these reality shows popping up everywhere over the last two or three years, especially this new year-- it's cutting the longevity of the genre. I'm being awfully verbose, but I think people get what I mean...I hope.

I am enjoying Fame so far
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I'm still holding out hope they'll discover the next Ben Vereen. I'll probably continue to watch... *breaks into song* "cause I have highhh hopes -- high in the sky apple pieee hopes..." for a while, anyway.

Dang, why did I think of that song? Now it's stuck in my head.
    Ipse dixit.

mine too... thanks a lot
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

What a sweetheart SweetBabyClay's Avatar
    I've tried really really hard to like Fame, but I just can't do it, It does NOTHING for me. the singing is terrible,and my 13 year old sister dances better than a lot of these people. The judges are alme, and the priz esucks. theyu get to record a SINGLE- not even a CD, and a year of dance lessons. woohoo!
    Life is like a bowl of Vincents- you never know when you're gonna get sca-rewwed.

Fade to black
    I don't know about 13 year olds dancing better than these performers. That's one thing they do well. I do agree though, that prize package is pretty lame. And if they are recording a single - then they HAVE to be able to carry a song.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast