+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me...or does Fame disappoint?

enygma-- if you read my above posts you will see that i noted the struggle and marginal talent of much of season 1 AI. I leave room for the possibility that "Fame" will grow on me and the public-- but for now, i don't see it happening.

Hmmmm I can see why people would be disappointed by this show, but I find it very enjoyable. I like seeing the added dimension of dance and I enjoy the group numbers. It seems very "fresh" to me after seeing two seasons of American Idol.

I also think everyone is entitled to their opinion on the show and if ya don't like it, you can most certainly state your reasons why!!!

The funny thing is that I agree with a lot of the points posted by those who dislike the show, and yet I take the show lightly, find it entertaining, and overall, really enjoy Fame.
    ~M o s a i K~

I wish I could enjoy it-- I just end up uncomfortable and embarrassed for the contestants I have seen-- and you have to admit, the judges aren't exactly judging. It's like a table of useless Paula Abuduls. If the level of performance quality and ability were there-- I would be enjoy the show.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Good subject, Grant. As someone who grew up watching the show - and loving it - I didn't take that into my viewing with me. I knew this would be different, and it is.

Am I in love with the show? No. Would I miss it a night if something came up? Yes. Would I tape it? No. I'd just catch the recap here.

I've enjoyed the dancing - semi enjoyed the singing - hate the judging. So far. It's okay but not my cup of tea. It does not inspire the ferver I felt with AI and I doubt it will. I'll keep watching if I am home, though. There is just nothing worthy on in the summer to take my TV time away from it.

Right now, I have not seen anyone yet that really grabbed me. I think Moy might - when she gets her chance to shine - but the rest of the kids are talented but NOT what I might see as a superstar in the future.

Maybe I am a bit jaded after AI. I love Clay and Ruben, period. The more I see these two together on TV, the more I love them and they don't need to sing a note. The anti-stars, really. No one would have expected them to make it as far as they did but here they are.

I'm giving Fame the whole season to really grow on me but the major draw is the dancing. That said, watching the show for one factor may not be enough for some people. But it is for me. For now.
    ~*~ Maji *~

I think it might get better once you get down to the finalists and once you have your favorites. I didn't like AI that much in the begginning either. But the judges better start judging or it'll be crap.

Edited to say: Wow, this is my 300th post... look at that....

I agree with alot that Majih said. It all depends on what you are watching for. I am watching FAME for the dancing - so I'm really enjoying the show. If I were watching for singing - I'd change the channel.

I think the dancing is quite good. As a retired competitive Latin and swing dancer, I'm just having fun watching the dances. As far as singing - I've heard nothing even remotely good. No one sings from their diaphragm...... Anyway, I'm just not going to dwell on the singing and just enjoy the dancing.

I'm enjoying this light-hearted show (at least for me) and this forum after such an intense AI experience this spring - DON'T want to go through that again!!! I also like the fact that I can stay up with this forum!!!
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Originally posted by drkim
    I'm enjoying this light-hearted show (at least for me) and this forum after such an intense AI experience this spring - DON'T want to go through that again!!! I also like the fact that I can stay up with this forum!!!
    I know what you mean! The whole AI experience was a little hard on me too. Ah well, I don't see myself getting that emotionally attached to a contestant on a reality show again.

OH how I miss AI and Survivor. My daughter likes this though and we are both so busy this is one time we watch something together.

I'm not too interested in it but, I watch it with her.

I don't think I'll like anything like I LOVED AI2 and this last Survivor.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Wow, such negativity. The AI phenomenon seems to have turned everybody into such power-critics. Come on folks, criticizing is way too easy, not to mention it's bad for your health. Be smile, walk happy!

eh anyway, I'm enjoying the show. Though the judges haven't been too hard on them, all their comments do seem informed and constructive. I'm glad they put the sugar-coater of the bunch, i.e. Debbie Reynolds, as a pseudo-advocate for the kids rather than a judge. As for the host, I gotta disagree with you grant. I think that Joey guy is perfect. He doesn't ham it up, he doesn't try too hard, and he doesn't lay on lame jokes. I find him very personable if I ignore the fact they he's in Insync.

I'm not too into the dancing thing though. Don't get me wrong. A lot of them really kick ass at it, but it seems like it short-changing their vocal stuff by being somewhat out of breath. And it's so frantic. It's like everyone is channeling Josh from country night. eek.

In any case, I think the show is going to step up once they determine the finalists. They look like they're going to focus on letting you get to know the contestants, which I think is a big reason why AI works so well. Who knows? I guess we'll see.

One question though, isn't the third "threat" supposed to be acting?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    It doesn't dissapoint me a bit, but then I found the fanatical frenzy that came up around AI a bit disturbing.
    Well OK, a LOT disturbing.People took leave of their senses.

It's a show meant for lite entertainment. Will it change the universe, solve world hunger and come up with a cure for cancer?- Nope.
    Will Debbie ever get off that frickin stage ? Who knows. I liked and respected Debbie when this show was first announced. It's getting so it may be too much Debbie.
    It had better change after the competition starts, or it's going to get to be too much for even her supporters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast