+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Serena Henry - Group Two

FORT Newbie
    Serena's got a pretty kick-a$$ voice, and her vocal gymnastics are pretty outstanding. But the ego definitely bugs me. I'm a Harlemm die-hard, and I'd like to see the two of them go at it in the last round, with Harlemm crushing the competition.

But on a more realistic note, the world already has 1000 Serena Henry's, but has there ever been anything like Harlemm before? Give Serena a record deal and she might release a middle-charting single or two, but ultimately she'll get lost among all the other R&B divas. Give Harlemm a chance, and the worst that could happen is that the world might not be ready for someone with his mystical draw--but on the other hand, the upside is that he might be the most unique and amazing thing the American public has seen in awhile.

The gymnastics kinda bother me. Serena seems to put them in because she can, not to express emotion. She seems too detatched to really interpret the songs.

I don't enjoy watching Serena perform at all. Her style of singing really bugs me! She sounds more like she's mumbling then singing, up and down constantly with the notes. AKK! How she has made it this far is beyond me. But this is only my opinion.

However, if she were to sing "normally" instead of trying to be "different" I'd probably have a different opinion of her. I think she is capable of better.

FORT Fan
    I agree..the vocal gymnastics are TOO much..
    serena has tons of experience....4 1/2 or 5 years opening for Gladys Knight...singing in vegas, etc..IF she had that special "IT" I think she would be discovered already...she doesnt have IT..
    JMO>> serena is a good opening act, good backup singer if she loses some of the overblown riffs, but she doesnt have the warmth, charm or individuality to be a STAR...

I hope both she and Harlemm get an unexpect boot tho LOL>> Harlemm is unique, right,but not a sort of unique I like..
    I personally like the fresher talent which to me is shannon and brandon JMO

FORT Newbie
    SHe's not only not improving week to week - she's getting irritating. If you didn't know the song she sang last night was Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me", you would never figure it out from that rendition.
    Also, I'm inclined to call the paramedics so someone can give her CPR every time she gasps at the end of a phrase UGH!

I think Serena has a very nice voice. She is just putting in way too many riffs in order to try and impress us in the 1.5 minutes she has. She is consistent and mostly on-key which is better than some. I have her as my #4 pick. I do wish she'd dance more (channeling Paula )
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by famarama
    SHe's not only not improving week to week - she's getting irritating. If you didn't know the song she sang last night was Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me", you would never figure it out from that rendition.
    Also, I'm inclined to call the paramedics so someone can give her CPR every time she gasps at the end of a phrase UGH!
    Umm... Serena is HANDS DOWN the best singer of the group. Second best is Harlemm. I do agree that there are many great R&B singers like Serena out there, but she is definately the best of this group-- she shouldn't be penalized because there are already good singers out there. I think Harlemm could go far because he is very lively and different-- sort of like Sisqo. The only reason why Harlemm has a chance is because he is Asian and thats something lacking in the American entertainment industry right now.
    From the projects to the White House...

All this hating on my baby she was the best in the competition
    Mariah TLC Lil Kim Christina Jennifer Hudson Guy

FORT Fan
    Gosh I hope she goes back to vegas and stays there... last week was her best..she toned down the vocal gymnastics...but finale nite?? OMG..."america the beautiful"....you couldnt even tell what the heck she was singing..

I have NO idea why the judges and debbie kissed up to this mediocre singer all these weeks...there is nothing fresh or interesting about her...she seems like an old pro who will be a lounge singer/backup singer and that is it> I doubt she gets a good contract out of this...catch her in vegas...I would rather see the tigers or a majic show than listen to serena JMO

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by smouzon
    Umm... Serena is HANDS DOWN the best singer of the group. Second best is Harlemm. I do agree that there are many great R&B singers like Serena out there, but she is definately the best of this group-- she shouldn't be penalized because there are already good singers out there. I think Harlemm could go far because he is very lively and different-- sort of like Sisqo. The only reason why Harlemm has a chance is because he is Asian and thats something lacking in the American entertainment industry right now.
    Umm, actually it depends on your definition of being the "best singer." Does she riff the most? Yes. So, if that's how you determine who is the best singer, clearly she is the undisputed champion.

However, she comes off as riffing just to riff. In fact, the entire song becomes one big riff. The melody is impossible to detect. It's one thing to interpret a song and make it your own. It's another to just jump all over the place vocally from start to finish for no apparent reason. It's a skill, and she has mastered how to do it, but she has not mastered when to do it. I hope she figures out that one well-placed riff is better than 50 randomly scattered ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast