+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TVGuide: NBC's Jeff Zucker: "... [Fame] did not work"

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

TVGuide: NBC's Jeff Zucker: "... [Fame] did not work"

Here is a little snippet of the NBC session at the Critic's Summer Press Tour with a comment made by NBC Entertainment President Jeff Zucker about "Fame" from TVGuide Online Insider (click to read full article on NBC's session at the press tour):

10:25 am Debbie Allen cover your ears: "In the end [Fame] did not work," Zucker acknowledges.

10:30 am Following up on that, Zucker is asked, "If Fame was not a hit, why was it newsworthy enough for Matt Lauer to be interviewing the winner this morning [on the Today show]?" Oh, I know! Can I answer? It's the same reason Tony Potts is getting his nose powdered in the foyer! Now it all makes sense!

And I have to agree with him, it didn't.

FORT Newbie
    Fame didn't work for several reasons, but it can be revamped.

1. Reduce Debbie's on-camera time. There is no need to have TWO hosts.

2. Have a panel of experts select the contestants.

3. Get a new panel of judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    ...but it can be revamped.....
    Yes, Buster. I agree about the one host, unless they find 2 that are so good that they can work off each other well. On the other hand, AI went from 2 to 1 host.
    If the judges are there to give their expert opinion and suggestions, let them!
    New judges wouldn't hurt either. I wonder if the current judges have a contract for more than one season.

I agree too, the show is not dead in the water, but for me they would have to make some changes before I'd watch another series.

I'd defintiely agree with eldee with regard to getting new judges.
    Keep Johnny if part of any future prize would be a contract with him, othe than that he could go too.

I'd like to see them really channel this toward stage performing and away from pop music.
    Increase the emphasis on dance and add spome judges with a background in musical theatre.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Don't forget: Get rid of the "rap" entries.

Spring & Fall: Preferred

It didn't work even if they all came to ... work

The show was lacking in real singing talent. They had some great dancers. I never did see anyone with a real third "threat." They need to dump that. I guess dual threat isn't so sexy as thriple threat. ;-)

FORT Fan
    Thanks for the link....I think the main problem was the lack of "focus" and direction..
    it could have been 2 different shows ...

1 for young upcoming talent from "professional schools" across the country...
    or
    2) a show like "almost famous" ...for people like serena, tyce, harlemm...who are older, pros...but not famous...ie, chorus line people from broadway, people who sing backup or are openers for stars...

however..this show combined all that..plus mixed rap/broadway/stripper pole dances and more...very disjointed....

from the remarks by the nbc pres I dont think fame will be back there..maybe on bravo ONLY next time...maybe with a revamp??? JMO

FORT Newbie
    I wish somebody who has "contacts" would let the NBC president know that Fame is worth saving. It's a great brand name that has widespread recognition. They just need to listen to what viewers have been posting on these boards and make some changes for the next season.

Fame has the potential to be a hit show. Remember that American Idol didn't become a huge hit until its second season. Fame should be given another chance.

Buster,
    You don't need contacts to send email to NBC. My suggestion is, if you feel that strongly about it, send them email with this board as a link and your opinions.
    Personally I don't feel that strong about it or I would have emailed NBC already.

My point is YOU are a contact, take advantage of that. Good Luck.
    "You got big dreams? You want FAME?
    Well FAME costs and right here's where you start paying,
    In sweat!" —Debbie Allen from the TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    I wish somebody who has "contacts" would let the NBC president know that Fame is worth saving. It's a great brand name that has widespread recognition. They just need to listen to what viewers have been posting on these boards and make some changes for the next season.

Fame has the potential to be a hit show. Remember that American Idol didn't become a huge hit until its second season. Fame should be given another chance.
    Wait a minute Fame's brand name is not highly regonised since the ratings of this show was so low that I wondered how many television viewers know this show existed or overlooked the show after watching about 5 to 10 minutes of awful performances. The producers should develop the show into one that is different and exciting instead of being a pale shadow of American Idol and then the 'Fame" name would get the widespread recognition in the market place that has become flooded with 'want to be" American Idol shows.

I agree that this show has potential but I think this show should look at the market of pop singing which calls for dancing and singing ability and leave the ballads to American Idol which does a good job in that market.
    However, your point about American Idol only being a success this season is false because in last season we had names like Tamyra Gray who is doing well in acting and is working this BabyFace to produce an album, Kelly Clarkson has been very successful in her album mainly due to the exposer she got from American Idol and Christina Christian is also doing well by picking up parts in acting and presenting on the TV Guide Channel. Furthermore, if you do your reasearch about the ratings of last year's season if was always among the most popular shows. This season the American Idol show was only better because the contestants of this year saw how good the show was at marketing the other contestants from the last season and as a result they wanted the same type of success and exposer and that was the secret recipe of this years talent. Well, my thought of this situation with Fame is that they need to really market this show if they really want to attract premium talent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast