+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overall opinion

FORT Regular

Overall opinion

For some reason, Fame seemed better earlier in the run and progressively went down hill week after week, including last night. The group number was awful and when I went back to look at the tape I could swear that they weren't moving their mouths when they were supposed to be singing (like the song was pre-recorded). Isn't it interesting that Tyce was conspicuously absent last night (especially after all that fanfare about being the "spoiler"). I had such high hopes for this show, but in the long run I don't think it matters who won. Will we ever hear from any of them again? I hope so, but it's hard to say since the show did not have great run in the ratings and not much press coverage (like AI2).

I totally agree with what you have said about the show and when I do an analysis of this show I found it severely lacking in singing talent but they were great dancers among this group but unfortunately they hardly danced in any of their performances and as a result their concept of having performers who can dance and sing went down the toilet. As we all know the ratings of this show went through the window after the show made its start but who would blame the viewers they too were seeing the many faults this show had in comparision to arch rival American Idol. Again, this show in my mind seemed like a cheap imitation of AI since it lacked the excitment that AI brought and the martketing of the show was poor and it seemed to me that NBC was a bit too cheap with this show they could have spent some more money to improve its overall appeal. I am now wondering what the ratings were for last night although I expect it to be better than the last couple of weeks I boubt that it was nowhere near the ratings that last year's American Idol final which was smaller than this year's ratings. I wonder if NBC is going to bring another season of this show since the ratings sucked.

I must congratulate Harlem for winning but this was way too predictable and boring. It will be hard to say if any of the finalist will make it in the entertainment world since it is hard for everyone to become a big star in this cut throat/get lucky industry. However, I doubt any of them will see the type of success and popularity that their conterparts at American Idol have experienced.

FORT Fan
    HI...I sooo agree
    So much promise at the beginning...then it all went downhill..

I really liked and respected debbie allen...but I think her repulation is the big loser here....watching her cackle and yell at judges and act like a fool was not pleasant..

the show had basically NO direction either...they had some of the girls in semi finals dancing like strippers...the pole dance, the chair dance....they had a young rapper wannabe....they had pros like serena mixed with people like raymond lee who maybe sang in a choir...they had dance majors with non dancers...a club singer/dancer like Moy who seemed overwhelmed...gerry woo....*and such a big deal bout his "lie"...while never mention his other lies LOL

pitting 16, 17 and 18 year olds against 2 men old enough to be their dads gives me a "bad feel" period...sooo unfair....unreal

then...to top it off...all the hoopla bout the spoiler?? they bring in a "ringer"...tyce...and yes, I noticed last nite..NO tyce...he was just a paid shill I think...

on another post we discussed how the kids on fame did not get the perks/luxury or weekly money the idol kids get... poor Moy even spoke about how she might lose her car, couldnt make the payments !

the ratings got sooo bad it went from 2 out per week to 3 out to 4 out and over...
    too bad...cause this show started great..

I really doubt there will be a fame 3...

(ps...watching carnie act like a jerk, fanning herself and drooling over a 16 year old boy was really obnoxious too )
    Last edited by freebiesite; 07-24-2003 at 08:04 PM.

FORT Newbie
    The biggest change that should be made to the show is cutting back on Debbie Allen's screen time. She is EVERYWHERE on this show. She picked the finalists, she choreographs the group numbers, she stands in the spotlight next to the "host." Her dance school is plugged as a prize. It's just waaaaay too much of Debbie.

Sorry buster I think I'm following you around this thread, lol.

Debbie and whathisname from N'Sync were just awful and I think contributed to the demise of this show throughout the season. I'm also tired of getting jacked around with the pregnant pause when they announce the winners, both on AI and Fame. It doesn't add at all to the suspense and is manipulative.

Triple threat is all we heard, however, I really only saw two disciplines being shown - song and dance. What was the other??? I thought at first it was acting, but I didn't see any of that in this competition unless you think that making appropriate faces on stage while dancing qualifies.
    I doubt I will be watching Fame 2, unless I come across some information on the internet that there is someone worth watching participating. I think that this won't be the case since anyone talented enough to be a breakout star wouldn't need this show.

It is now more understandable why Harlemm and Brandon ended up here, I believe they would not qualify for AI due to age restrictions.

FORT Regular
    The 3rd quality they were after was "presence". I was trying to figure that out as well, but they quickly mentioned it during the final show.

Absolutely correct in terms of being way too much Debbie. Debbie Allen Dance Academy this, Debbie Allen cackling that, Debbie Allen bad wigs, etc.!!!

When there was dancing it was nice. I wasn't impressed with any of the singing. Oh, and the only thing I liked about the show was JoJo.
    Last edited by Silvy; 07-25-2003 at 09:37 PM.
    "I can hear the silence. Of what we used to be. And I can see the sign. of what you want to be."

Just wanted to let you all know that Tyce was there at the final show. He was sitting about 3 rows in front of me with a large contigency of semi-finalists from the show. He did dance during one of the commercials briefly but the final show was for original finalists....not the spoiler.

+ Reply to Thread