+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fame the broadway musical

Thanks for the info Vanilla Orchids.

FORT Regular
    Glad I could help.

FORT Newbie
    Well, if Fame is set in the New York School of the Performing Arts, what role is Harlemm going to play> He's 35. He'll never get away with playing a high school student.

FORT Fan
    Very true Buster...and it is OFF BROADWAY...NOT "ON BROADWAY"...

here is some more interesting info from "Playbill" mag.....looks like they may be trying to "distance" themselves from debbie allen???

. According to a spokesperson for the musical, "The winner [of the TV competition] will be considered for a role in the production or to be in the ensemble."

CONSIDERED??? hmmm....and a "role in the production OR ensemble"??? means they could just be in the chorus or?? I agree that we might see allison, lauren and garry in the show too...but this seems different from what the show told us each week...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/80796.html

FORT Newbie
    The article makes it seem that a role in the off-Broadway production is not going to just be given to the winner of Fame the TV show.

Harlemm is apparently going to have to audition for a part.

Well, I guess this is one way to see if he really is a triple threat.

I think that Fame the Musical could score marketing points by offering small roles to some of the Fame TV show finalists. It might even help sell a few more tickets at the box office.

FORT Regular
    I don't really know whether I should say anything, as I do not want to make anyone angry with me, but Buster is right. Harlemm is too old to play a student. That and there is no character in the musical that is Asian.

But ... Harlemm would not have to audition for it.

FORT Newbie
    Harlemm will probably have to play a teacher. I've never seen the stage version of Fame, so I don't know any specific role that Harlemm could play.

But if the stage version is like the original TV version, the stars of the production are the students, not the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaOrchids
    I don't really know whether I should say anything, as I do not want to make anyone angry with me, but Buster is right. Harlemm is too old to play a student. That and there is no character in the musical that is Asian.

But ... Harlemm would not have to audition for it.

IMHO, Harlemm isn't too old to play a student. I think he looks young. You say there is no Asian character -- I would think the ethnicity of the characters is flexible. Look at "Man of La Mancha" -- Don Quixote is Spanish -- being played by Brian Stokes Mithcell -- an African American. In the theatre all things are possible -- that's the beauty of it.

FORT Regular
    Please don't get me wrong. I didn't mean anything by what I said previously about Harlemm's age or that there are no Asian characters. Hey, I think he could pull off playing a student.

And there are 4 teachers, two men and two women in the production.

What I am saying though, is that I know that they do not seem to want to be flexible with the characters. That's not to say that someone who isn't Latina (for example) couldn't win the role of Carmen (who is Latina). As long as she could look and sound the part the person would be considered.

I hope that you understand what I mean.

VanillaOrchids... I understand what you mean. Sounds like you know more about the production than I do. It's so hard to know the tone of a post... I try to use the smilies to keep things lighthearted. Hee hee! I could see Harlemm in one of the teacher roles as well as a student. I just remember that when they brought up his age on the show -- when Debbie said "you're not 27" -- I thought they were going to say he was younger -- alot younger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast