+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Harlemm Lee

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    I think you may mean R&B - that is his singing style, not hip hop. As for one hit album at best, are you suggesting that people with an R&B singing style can only have one hit album at best? I won't bother with a list here - the notion speaks for itself as uninformed.
    No, I know what I mean. He comes across as some sort of wanna be hip hop/R&B artist. He also cannot dance solo to save his own life (what is with that horrible airplane thing?). Please make no mistakes, R&B/hip hop is by FAR my favorite genre of music.. so I know it sells. I just don't think he can sustain a career in that genre for long. He'll be a passing fad and then people will get bored and get back to real music. No offense to him or his fans, I think he has a lot of talent-- like I said before.
    From the projects to the White House...

That's the thing with fame, you never know who will last and who wouldn't.

I remember when Madonna first came out, I thought she'd be a flash in the pan, now look where she is. In my opinion, she didn't have the best voice in the world back then. Her voice is just okay now. And I thought Taylor Dane would grow bigger as time goes on and I know she can sing circles around Madonna, yet, where is she now?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiesite
    JMO>>>IF he was gonna "make it" he should have made it years ago..he certainly had opportunities...where has he been? what has he been doing??
    Since the fame people are clearly still trying to figure out what exactly they're doing, they might be interested in new ideas like having a separate show for people with professional experience. I know I'd watch it, and many would perceive it as more fair. But in real auditions, there's no dividing line between amateurs and seasoned pros - they all go up against one another.

I'm not sure who any of us are to say that someone "should have made it years ago." Whatever opportunities he has had in no way preclude him, or any of the other contestants, from taking advantage of THIS opportunity. The show failed by not making the rules clear to the viewing audience. The contestants have nothing to do with that, and should not be penalized by the failures of the show's producers.

Whatever he has been doing, right now he is considered by many to be the most talented person on the show. Vocals, dancing and stage presence were the criteria, not age, not previous experience. How much professional experience is an "acceptable" amount and how much is too much is way too fine a line, and is likely to be influenced by whom we want to win. If we like Brandon we'll say there should be no professional experience. If we like Shannon we'll say some is OK, but not as much as Serena has. And so on. They have all earned their spots in this competition and have the right to be judged fairly, meaning according to their singing, dancing, and personalities.

FORT Fan
    Well I for one could really care less what "many" have "judged", I dont let that influence me at all.....I thought Harlemm was pretty good the first week, but as time goes on he is getting more and more predictable...and MY opinion is still that IF they were going to do the dramatic "crying age" thingy, they should have come out and told the whole "story"...since apparently none of it matters according to their rules..

maybe reasons like this are why the ratings are tanking the show seems to be rushing towards a quick finish before it is yanked *shades of all american girl/the family....

Yes...the producers are to blame...I think most people would rather see fresh talent, tho a parallell "almost famous" show would be fun too.

FORT Regular
    Well I for one could really care less what "many" have "judged", I dont let that influence me at all.....
    You misunderstand. I bring up a widely held opinion that he is doing well merely to point out that what he has been doing before the show is irrelevant, both in the rules of the show given to the contestants, and in the criteria we were given for judging. You asked what he was doing before, I was responding to that alone. We are all entitled to our favorites, I only suggest that we be fair in how we judge our non-favorites.

FORT Fan
    I think I am being fair....I asked...and will ask again..what has he been doing in all these years??

36 or 37..how has he supported himself? I think he had to have been in entertainment biz ....or he would not still be in singing/dancing form...

or has he only worked kareote bars or??? married, divorced, kids, sig other, where has he been?? I dont think these are odd questions when dealing with a contestant on a show...we know what the others have been doing..what about harlemm in the transformation from gerry woo to harlemm lee? when did that occur...and why??? enquiring minds want to know??

I think I spotted him bagging groceries in a Farmington Hills Spartan store.

(yes, it's a joke. The fact remains that I guess I don't care what people have been up to before, or for the most part after they've appeared on my TV screens. I don't suddenly wonder "hey, I wonder what Gabe's doing post-Survivor...")

FORT Newbie
    I think I am being fair....I asked...and will ask again..what has he been doing in all these years??

36 or 37..how has he supported himself? I think he had to have been in entertainment biz ....or he would not still be in singing/dancing form...

or has he only worked kareote bars or??? married, divorced, kids, sig other, where has he been?? I dont think these are odd questions when dealing with a contestant on a show...we know what the others have been doing..what about harlemm in the transformation from gerry woo to harlemm lee? when did that occur...and why??? enquiring minds want to know??
    To avoid all kinds of speculations and wild accusations - Gerry Woo performed straight out of high school mostly to family/friends and Asian groups. He wanted to pursue his talent and auditioned to shows including Apollo and Star Search. Later, he landed a recording deal AND wanted to finish college as well. He chose the latter.

He had his education and several jobs. And now, he is pursuing a passion - the name change to Harlemm Lee is not to hide his past life, but to add a little umph to his career (wouldn't you agree that Gerry Woo sounds like your community dentist?).

That's Gerry Woo/Harlemm Lee in a nutshell~

Wow, this thread is great, I have been on one of the other boards and the fire about the "lie" and "career" has been crazy.

You all are way more civil. Glad I found you.

Harlemm is totally my favorite, I expect him to win. He makes me feel his talent. I cried on 2 different occassions. Of course music is my life and I am thrilled to have had Harlemm in my livingroom every Wednesday.

Yes, the show feels like a big infomercial for FAME the musical, the Debbie Allen dance academy, etc. The rules should be on the website. At least we have the spoiler app. online to see what some of the criteria is/was.

IMO there are probably other secrets about the other contestants that we don't and won't know. I thought there were many others in the original auditions that should have made it. I have been disappointed on each episode about something. FAME has been a real let down, the ratings are tanking.

Harlemm has been my one shining light in this reality TV show. And I want more dance from everyone @%&#! Okay no cussing.

Age: I am Harelmm's age and I have been mistaken for 27. People are always shocked when I tell them my age. Thanks to mom and dad's DNA, I have very little to do with it. I know 24yo's who have gray hair and look 40. We all age differently, that's biology. Harlemm knew that in this world at this time old is over. Try to go out at 53 and get a new job. You will loose to many who are younger in most cases. I personally think age is an advantage. Harlemm is using his 36 years of experience in the world to refine his vocals. It worked.

Everything is relative. The point of this show is, are you going to call the phone # to vote for the person who you think has the most talent?

HARLEMM WORLD

I can't wait for Wednesday, I am so curious to see how many people they dump. Then 1 more week. I can't take it!

"On a side note, I also want to mention that I really liked the entire cast's rendition of the Fame theme song."--quote by QueenKing

I so agree QueenKing, that was the best ever why don't we get more cool numbers like that? whine whine

Last edited by Chrome; 07-15-2003 at 02:46 AM.
    "You got big dreams? You want FAME?
    Well FAME costs and right here's where you start paying,
    In sweat!" —Debbie Allen from the TV series.

Yeah! What's up with the old disco songs?!?!

+ Reply to Thread