+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Harlemm Lee

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    Just wanted to add U2, who not only are all over 40, but whose Elevation tour in 2001-2002 was the 3rd highest grossing concert tour of all time. Not too shabby for a foursome of old farts.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by caper
    Huh????
    Do I need to make a list of people over 40 who are still selling albums??

Okay. . . the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, James Taylor, Elton John, Billy Joel - let me know if I need to go on because it won't be difficult!!

Also there are actually fans out there OTHER THAN young female fans who buy records!!!
    Thats true but lets be realistic about this. Most of the older successful artists have been around for 10 or more years, and have taken their fans with them as they aged (e.g. Michael Jackson, U2, etc.). They did not start off as middle aged. Plus, do you really think Harlem Lee will be able to tap into that market of people? Did you notice that Harlemm Lee is more on the hip hop end of the spectrum? Like I said, one hit album at best! LOL
    From the projects to the White House...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by smouzon
    Thats true but lets be realistic about this. Most of the older successful artists have been around for 10 or more years, and have taken their fans with them as they aged (e.g. Michael Jackson, U2, etc.). They did not start off as middle aged. Plus, do you really think Harlem Lee will be able to tap into that market of people? Did you notice that Harlemm Lee is more on the hip hop end of the spectrum? Like I said, one hit album at best! LOL
    Are you suggesting that there are only people in their fifties at a Stones concert?!? Or that Paul McCartney's tour was only attended by people who had been original Beatles' Fans!! Those performers have kept their old fans and gathered even more new fans as the years have passed. My twentysomething daughters are going to James Taylor, Rolling Stones and American Idol concerts this month.

Secondly, since when is middle aged 35???

As for Harlemm being hip hop, what show are you watching??? He's about as much hip hop as Serena is country.

Not everything has to be pigeonholed as to age or style or whatever. Good music appeals to all ages and types of fans. Harlemm appeals to people because he is a talented, unique, singer/dancer who doesn't fit any particular description. We like him simply because he's good at what he does and seeing him perform makes us smile and feel good too. That's what a true entertainer does and it doesn't need a label. If you don't like it that's fine too but please don't try to define or label something you don't seem to understand!
    Last edited by caper; 07-13-2003 at 07:42 PM.

From the dance practices clips they show, Harlemm definately has a lot of rythmn and seems to concentrate on the task at hand. I believe he would make the most of any dance training he could get. I don't think he would alienate many viewers who like to see talent.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    From the dance practices clips they show, Harlemm definately has a lot of rythmn and seems to concentrate on the task at hand. I believe he would make the most of any dance training he could get. I don't think he would alienate many viewers who like to see talent.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by smouzon
    Did you notice that Harlemm Lee is more on the hip hop end of the spectrum? Like I said, one hit album at best! LOL
    I think you may mean R&B - that is his singing style, not hip hop. As for one hit album at best, are you suggesting that people with an R&B singing style can only have one hit album at best? I won't bother with a list here - the notion speaks for itself as uninformed.

Besides, unlike most other performers, I can see him not only recording albums and doing concerts, but also performing on the theater stage. Because the singing style in theater has diversified over the last few decades (not everyone has to sound like that typical Broadway style anymore - it all depends on the play) I think he would knock people's socks off in a musical. Personally, I would LOVE to see him on the stage because he's so good at embodying the emotion of a song with his facial expressions, his body movements AND his voice. Theater is perfect for that. But he has the pipes to make it in the regular music industry as well.

FORT Fan
    JMO>>>IF he was gonna "make it" he should have made it years ago..he certainly had opportunities...where has he been? what has he been doing?? singing backup on recordings or?? dancing in small productions?? He obviously has been working in show biz...I doubt he could dance at his age if he hadn't been working at it for years..like if he just stopped when he was in his early 20's..

I for one am getting wayyyy sick of "people with pasts" on these reality shows...the big brother nonsense, the kid on juniors who has cds out and was in a broadway show and commercials....the way harlemm, serena, tyce are all really pros...

this is all getting to be a joke....I think Harlemm doesnt deserve to win this competition, and the way fame is going maybe whoever wins loses...JMO

Freebiesite, I think if Fame returns another season, they might be clearer on their rules to the public, so there are less unanswered questions and frustrations. Do you think you will continue to watch the show?

FORT Fan
    Hi Eldee...LOL>> I am a glutton for punishment, and I love music/talent shows...I will tape/watch ..maybe not even do the 5 votes ..

I sorta doubt fame will be back..

I think they could have had 2 shows...1) Fame...for new fresh talent...

2) "almost famous"...where they do 2nd chance things for like Harlemm...plus "almost" people like serena and tyce who do backup/opening,dance etc...

pitting a 16 year old against 2 guys old enough to be his dad, a "bar singer" like Moy against a gal who has her own vegas lounge show and opened for gladys knight for 4 or 5 years?? and having them all go against a guy who runs a dance biz/school called "triple threat", danced with janet, and has a huge resume?? something is SICK here...not to mention Gerry Woo's musical catalog LOL
    J~M~O

posted by smouzon:
    "I think that will seriously alienate him from young female fans. "

I would buy it for sure.. i'm 23 years old.. the two albums i would buy... is Clay Aiken's CD, and Harlemm's, if he makes one... and it's been awhile since i bought albums... i never buy one anymore cause no artist capitivates me ... until Clay and harlemm came along.. tee hee

+ Reply to Thread