+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Harlemm Lee

Originally posted by MajiH
    So Harlemm isn't Harlemm after all. You know, the same thing happened to me on AI when Josh came in all pop and then switched to all country. I felt duped. Now I feel duped again. First the age, now this.....no more votes from me. Period.
    And Moy's name is really "Moy"? Who cares! Performers always have stage names.

In my opinion, you have no reason to feel duped in anyway.

Originally posted by annray

Talent is talent and Harlemm has it (whatever that is) but no one is picking on Justin. The truth is that he is out of his league and he has no personality to speak of.

Watch his performance and see if you see what I see. Put him on a rap show and he may improve, who knows.

Elaine welcome to the site and we can all agree to disagree. But the truth is that I am looking for that something special and it ain't Justin.

Since you won't pick on Justin, I will!

You're right about putting Justin on a rap show. I don't know. This is a singing show not a rap show. Plus, as I've said before, he raps off beat and the words don't flow with the music. I couldn't tell you about his lyrics because I can't get past the way the whole song flows. Plus he sounds like an Eminim(sp?). In my opinion, he should get his OWN sound, hook, or whatever. Be original!:new :new

triple threat????? i dont think so....
    honestly, i really dont see what people like abou tthis guy. his voice is so weird. yall call it "unique", but i call it flat, and believe me, i've had voice lessons for the past 6 years, so i know what sounds good and what doesn't. his dancing isnt much to say for either. its all interrpetive, and the airplan ething isnt dancing, its acting like a 6 year old. as for the personality, he does seem to have a flare to him, but the gerry woo and the age thing remind me that he is a compulsive liar. sorry guys, but my vote does NOT go to harlemm lee or whatever the heck his name is
    -megan-

FORT Newbie
    Originally posted by youdontknowme
    triple threat????? i dont think so....
    honestly, i really dont see what people like abou tthis guy. his voice is so weird. yall call it "unique", but i call it flat, and believe me, i've had voice lessons for the past 6 years, so i know what sounds good and what doesn't. his dancing isnt much to say for either. its all interrpetive, and the airplan ething isnt dancing, its acting like a 6 year old. as for the personality, he does seem to have a flare to him, but the gerry woo and the age thing remind me that he is a compulsive liar. sorry guys, but my vote does NOT go to harlemm lee or whatever the heck his name is
    How can u call him a compulsive liar based on only one age change? As for his name, he CHANGED it to harlemm lee just like a plethora of artists, actors and actresses

FORT Newbie
    Compulsive liar?

His name is legally changed to Harlemm Lee - how is that a lie? Does that make Cher, Sting, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Muhammad Ali, Bono, Mel Brooks, John Wayne, Michael Landon, Gerald Ford, Jennifer Aniston, and many, many, many more, liars too?

FORT Fan
    I think the problem is we were all under the impression perhaps falsely, that the rules for the games were the same as AI's.
    i totally agree enygma.

ai looks for new talent. requirements: young, clean, fresh

fame contestants are competing for a spot in a musical. people who audition for theater usually have mile-long resumes.

each person has some kind of advantage over the rest.
    the advantage of having an 80s lp is what...probably stage experience? professional vocal training?
    some of the dancers in this competition have probably had years of dance training and with that, stage experience. imo it's no different.

as for the name thing, i don't really think it has a correlation with the age thing. i don't think he decided "okay, gerry woo, 35, will become harlemm lee, 27." ai's tiffany montgomery became ryan starr because she thought the name fit her better. a good choice for harlemm i think.

anyway...i'd really like to watch fame the musical with whoever wins this. but i'll bet it's no "from justin to kelly" :rolleyes

(just to clarify i did not watch it but might if the ticket is paid for)

I personally don't care at all about Harlemm making an album in the 80's. I like AI better than FAME because it is about raw talent - strictly amateurs. I heard that FAME did not publicize auditions for the general public, but rather recruited from dance schools, people in theatre, musicals, etc... So no experience, tons of experience, it's all OK in FAME.

Now I thought Harlemm did great tonight again. I missed his unusual dancing, but his vocals were on-key and very nice. I thought it was a great job (well great for this show.)
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

FORT Regular
    Originally posted by achilds
    I wish that they had to have solo dance numbers also
    Yes, yes, YES! I was thinking this during tonight's show, and lamenting the lack of it during last week's show. Idol fans who are watching Fame are probably voting for the person whose solo performance they like the best, not only because that's what they're used to doing, but also because nothing on Fame is encouraging them to do otherwise! :mad:

Offhand mentioning of "triple threat," "sing dance and light up the movie screen," yadda yadda yadda, adds up to nothing at the end if the producers continue to gloss over the dance the way they have been for the remainder of the show. The judges never get to comment after the group numbers, which are the only real dance we get to see if the singers choose ballads and don't incorporate it into their solos. Making it worse, they don't have a dance expert panelist. Debbie is the only dancer, and she has made it clear that she has no intention of being objective, so we can't look for her assessment of their dancing ability.

Tossing in a group number is not enough to distinguish the show from Idol, or the way people should be voting, especially if no one gets to comment on who was strong and who was weak (and it certainly doesn't help if most of America is changing the channel because the group number song choices are so bad, missing the dance altogether... unless that was the plan).

On the name change, there's nothing wrong with selecting a stage name. It's not like Gerry Woo grabs your attention. Harlemm Lee is something different given that people think "New York" when they hear Harlemm and that brings up all kinds of built-in cultural connotations when it comes to talent and so forth. It's a smart move.

I can't vote for him anymore but I kind of hope he does win since, really, he's probably the most talented of the finalists.

Originally posted by IMHO
    http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Fame/spoiler_app.shtml
    ......The most significant appears to be this one:

7. I represent that I do not have a signed contract or representation agreement with a recording manager or agent, or a modeling or talent agent.
    So as long as you’re not signed to anyone now, you’re eligible, ....
    It's a good thing to have concerns. However, remember there were others who actually worked with either Debbie or someone else in the past, but they were eliminated for other reasons.

It seems that amateur in the performance sense means something different than what I might assume it means. (See above re: a condition). For example, with figures skating, there are amateau contestants who compete for titles, prizes (cash or otherwise), have their competition broadcasted, etc. They can be considered "amateurs" for their whole "career". Fame might have their own standards for which they are accountable to.

Either way, I am enjoying the show more than I thought I would!

+ Reply to Thread