+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Harlemm Lee

That was probably a compliment at the time too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    You know I just don't get this - I thought this was an amateur competition for untapped talent. Now half the contestants are professional or at least semi-professional....
    What's the rule?

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    From chorus line to center stage - isn't that what it's all about!!
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by famarama
    You know I just don't get this - I thought this was an amateur competition for untapped talent. Now half the contestants are professional or at least semi-professional....
    What's the rule?
    I don't know what the rules are.
    Like you, I was under the impression this was a competition for amateur's, then we found out about Serena touring with Gladys Knight.
    "That's Numberwang!"

:

I only know that Harlemm has a lot of talent and if the show knew about this so be it.

Let's let it be and see what the outcome of this show will be. I think he is great and very talented and unique so maybe this will be his second chance at Fame. He may not even win this thing but he will have give the others a run for their money.

Personally I have no problem with him changing his name or having a "second chance". People change as time passes by and he may be now a much better singer and dancer than he was 10 years ago. To my understanding even people competing in AI may have had a contract before, they just can not be under contract to any other recording company/agency when AI is going on.

FORT Newbie
    Aren't they all in the show to prove their talents? So what if they have had past experiences? Isn't that what it's all about - to try and try until you get what you want and deserve?

Harlemm is very talented!!! Every single one of them has had some form of "past" so what does it really matter if he is Gerry or Harlemm. How come Moy being just "Moy" does not get any of this name scandal?

Well it's probably the fact that he lied about his age AND he changed his name AND he's had a professional singing career in the past that is raising a few eyebrows... If it had been just one of those, I don't think there'd be as much reaction...

Did he actually keep his past career a secret from the Fame producers as well?

And I'm as confused as the rest of you about the rule for allowing professionals :::

FORT Regular
    http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Fame/spoiler_app.shtml

I figured we could nip this in the bud if we just found out what the eligibility requirements were. Conveniently enough, on the website there is the spoiler application. I figured the spoilers would have to submit to the same requirements as all the other contestants, so I checked it out. There is no requirement anywhere that the person has to be an amateur. It even specifies that members of the performing unions will not be paid if they have amateur status, and will be paid some minimum something if they have professional status. You just can't be a criminal, or an employee of a few listed organizations, the usual. You have to be 16 by December 03. Visit the above site for details. The most significant appears to be this one:

7. I represent that I do not have a signed contract or representation agreement with a recording manager or agent, or a modeling or talent agent.

So as long as youíre not signed to anyone now, youíre eligible, just like Idol, as per the previous poster on this thread. We should vote for whoever is the best, regardless of whatever they did before Fame. The show never made itself out to be something exclusively for people with no experience. They only said they were looking for a triple threat.

The only thing Harlemm ever misrepresented was his age, but with all them kiddies at the audition and with no idea whether his age would be counted against him (there was a guy that Idol didnít let on this season because they said he was too old, so there is a precedent) I can understand his choice. Iím glad itís all over and that America has learned that you donít have to be 20 to have the potential to be a star. If he can hold his own with people half his age, that just says all the more that he deserves to be there. If he is the best in the competition, he should win.

thanks IMHO.

I agree, if Harlemm continues to be what I consider a triple threat he will get a vote or two from this phone.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread