Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBC's "Fame" is a Fraud (Spoilers)

FORT Newbie

NBC's "Fame" is a Fraud (Spoilers)

After two hours in the sun I got in the studio at Hollywood Centre to see the group 4 shooting of Fame and am almost certain who the final 12 will be, as we saw the group 3 finalists justin, Dion and Raymond and the judges were pretty obvious about who would move forward in group 4 - Halum, Lauren and Moy. They tried to fool us by shooting three different endings, but it was obvious to everyone who had won - not by the performances but by the judges reactions. Let me preface everything I say herein by explaining that I have no personal interest in any contestant.
    I am convinced that the performances we have been watching have no connection to the "judges" decisions or comments for that matter. Throughout this I have see some obvious calls but too many very questionable calls. I have seen judges say "you are wonderful" or "your going all the way" when I heard bad notes hit and control issues. I heard Johnny say "you had some trouble with a few notes" when I heard no problem. I have been a voice coach for 23 years and am probably more qualified than Johnny.

Jameson gives a decent performance but falls at the end of the group number - she moves into the finals. Michelle gives a very good performance - both voice and dance - she goes home (too sexy?? good thing they wern't judging Madonna). Brandon can not sing -he moves forward. Harlum is a good call though he doesn't have the superstar personality but he moves forward. He breaks into tears in his bio and I guess some people liked that - I saw him as having some emotional problems- but fair enough he moves on. Sean undoubtedly has the whole superstar package. Wait untill you see his performance. When Johnny said something about a bad note you could see the confusion in the faces across the audience. Sean and Harlum had the biggest crowd responses. But, Sean goes home. Lauren gives a good but very uninspiring performance - she moves forward.

I am convinced that the judges are told who will win and who will not. They then give their comentary based on that information, not the actual performances. Thus the disconnect. I also believe that the final winner was chosen well before the first auditions and we will be manipulated all the way to the final episode.

Here is the puch-line. Johnny will manage the winner so in the end he has the final say. I think he is using this whole Fame charade to launch someone he found well before the auditions. He is giving extra exposure to his favorites by letting them advance and get extra exposure up to the time when his preselected artist will win. Here is the worst part. In an earlier thread someone had made some comment about Judy being sent home and how sad it was bacasue she was Asian. My comment was along the lines of - race should have nothing to do with this. I am afraid race has everything to do with this. Of the 6 blacks that started, 5 will go on. Of the 12 finalists, 5 will be black. About 16% of the US population is black, but of the Fame finalists, 42% will be black. I am a man of colour myself - my mother is from India and my father from Italy. I am also an immigrant from the UK. Racism is wrong no matter where it raises its ugly head. It is unfair to all of these kids who thought they had a fair chance. They have been lied to and we have been lied to. I will not be watching any more. NBC's "Fame" is a fraud.

FORT Fogey
    Actually I agreed with pretty much all of the judges choices, as did most of the people discussing the show on this site. I honestly believe they chose the very best people. If all three of the males and none of the females move on next week as you claim, then I will believe you, but not until then...

Now I have a quick question. "we saw the group 3 finalists justin, Dion and Raymond" Um, Justin is in Group 4. Sean is in Group 3 (or that's what it says here on the site) so . . . is that a mix up or is the site wrong or . . .

FORT Fogey
    CBS switched Justin and Sean on their official site on Thursday (two days ago) - I'm not sure why...

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Dang it, I wanted Sean to go on and if this Fraud schtick is right, then he goes home.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by levi_d
    Ok, thanks for letting me know. Dang it, I wanted Sean to go on and if this Fraud schtick is right, then he goes home.
    I doubt it, because the likelihood that all three of the males move on next week is not good. If all three males do move on next week, then I will believe that it is a fraud. I honestly doubt it, though... It seems like this person is bitter because the people he/she chose did not move on. Personally, while we were discussing the show both weeks, we all pretty much guessed everyone that would move on based on personal preference.

FORT Newbie
    I am going on what I saw - at the end of the show they brought out the winners from groups 1,2 and 3. I am almost certain I saw Justin, Dion and Raymond. Perhaps I have mistaken a face, but I don't think so. We'll see on Monday.
    We too all guessed who would move forward but after the judges made their comments. This is a contest for stardom - a lot is at stake. How do you explain Jameson who has a good voice but had multiple mis-steps dancing (see the tape) and then fell on her a** at the finish - being selected. That's horse manuer. She is probably a wonderful person with great talent - but that night she fell on her **s - Let me say that one more time - she fell on her **s.
    Yes I am discouraged that those that I thought should move forward didn't - but there is a very strange standard being used here. After next Wednesday's show (if you're taping) look closely at Jameson's, Justin's, Michelle's and Seans performances side by side - don't listen to the judges afterward - just watch the performances side by side. The first two won and the second two lost. That's crazy. And listen to Brandon sing - no flip'n way should he have gone on. He has a one octave range and no control. Perhaps it's just my taste but I can tell you that there were a lot of people leaving the number four taping talking out loud to each other that something is not right based on what they saw and heard and what the judges said. And that was in the cheap seats - not the family and friends (who you'd expect to be boo-hooing) but us peasants who stood in line and got to know each other during the long hot wait to get in. In fact now that you mention it I wonder if Sean got bumped because they did select all men the week before and they wanted to balance the final 12 a little better. I'll tune in after Mondays show to see what you all have to say then. I've been wrong before but I know something is wrong here.
    Last edited by ninobaldaci; 06-08-2003 at 12:24 AM.

FORT Fogey
    What you're saying is very interesting. I am not a huge fan of the show, but I have watched it.

I thought Michelle's performance was good too.

I shall watch it even more closely next week. We might have to change the name from "Fame" to "Shame."

FORT Newbie
    Hey- that's a great line for an article -

NBC's "Shame"

Hey AnnaRHR - even if I'm wrong about who I think I saw - I didn't see them perform so I am not baseing my aligations on those three people. It's everything else that leads me to this opinion.
    Last edited by ninobaldaci; 06-08-2003 at 12:38 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks, nino, but it's my Copyright!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast