Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBC's "Fame" is a Fraud (Spoilers)

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think your racial judgement is a bit harsh . I haven't agreed with the judgements, but I don't think it's motivated by anything but who is going to be the best cash cow for Johnny.
    He has made a career out of finding and exploiting talent. He isn't shy about dumping someone with no talent ASAP . Thats how Nick Carter ended up as a last minute replacement in the BSB. He also has a pretty good vision of who will give the best face. That may not be the most talented.

FORT Newbie
    Best face - not nessesarily the most talent? So this is not about the triple threat - it's about who Johnny thinks will have the right image. Johnny is a business man who takes what others have done and makes money. Pearlman was the visionary behind many of Johnny's hotest properties. In fact Johnny is not a great judge of talent on his own. He relies on many scouts that tell him who is hot and who is not. As I said they have someone, perhaps Moy or Serena or whoever, selected to win this.

Paragraph removed by John.

If they had had this contest with the winner's management company unselected ,and a Dick Clark or some MTV jock as the third panelist instead of someone so financially involved as Johnny, and again allowed them to make the decision, the outcome would be very different and much more objective - and perhaps fair. I just think the whole thing is a fraud. They will not find the greatest talent in America - they will hype the public into thinking they have chosen the great new superstar - and Johnny Wright will be the number one beneficiary. It was all planned out many weeks ago. It stinks
    Last edited by John; 06-08-2003 at 08:26 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by ninobaldaci
    We too all guessed who would move forward but after the judges made their comments.
    Actually, we were discussing while the performances were going on and we said we really liked people or didn't before the judges said anything at all... Most of us picked who we WANTED to move forward, not who we thought would, and we pretty much agreed with the judges.

And you're entitled to your opinion, but I honestly believe you are jumping to conclusions. After this week's show airs, then we'll see...

Nino, interesting opinions, but I think they're complete and utter crap. But, if you don't think the show is real, then we're not going to force you to watch it.

To my understanding Fame is all about having the right combination of things, and the right image is in my opinion part of the triple threat, and it can override some talent part in this competition. Fame is an image factory, it is a TV show that wants to find someone whom the buying audience will love and whose career they want to follow and support. And middle America does not want to see "sluts" (sorry little harsh here) to win a TV competition. Jamisen had the right combination of sexiness and innocence, Michelle did not (when people refer to her routine as pole dancing, it clearly was too much, and therefore ruined her image).

ps. Image is not same as face, image is also personality and additude, who we think a person is.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 06-08-2003 at 02:15 PM.

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    I didn't think the judges made any mistakes in selecting who to put forward. Should Jamisen's slip in the group number overwhelm her solo performance? I don't think so. Michelle's dancing was stripperish. She should have concentrated more on her singing.

The ratio of contestants from various ethnic groups is not of any interest to me.
    I hope the best people were chosen and the best will go through to the next round - the public voting stage.
    As Anna mentioned, people were posting on a discussion thread while the show was airing.
    Everyone who expressed an opinion said Serena, Brandon and Jamieson would go through

The very fact that Johnny's Wright's biggest stars are Britney and Nsync rather negates the argument he selects talent along racial lines. I would hope this is the last we hear of the discussion.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm really confused about the whole fraud thing. I was confused when people talked about it about American Idol too. Why would they make the whole thing a fraud? I thought the point was to find the person America liked best. I mean if this was a whole thing to promote someone who Johnny has already chosen, what if America doesn't like them? Wouldn't they rather have the person more people voted for? The person most people voted for would more than likely sell the most records and that's what a producer would be concerned with.

FORT Regular
    Originally posted by enygma
    Thats how Nick Carter ended up as a last minute replacement in the BSB.
    Nick, AJ and Howie were the original three members of the group then two more guys were added ... those two quit and Kevin was brought in and then they decided they needed another member to round out the sound of the group and that's when Kevin called his cousin Brian to audition to be in the group. Nick was never a last minute replacement.

Sorry, just needed to clear that up a little.

Originally posted by Palindrome14
    I'm really confused about the whole fraud thing. I was confused when people talked about it about American Idol too. Why would they make the whole thing a fraud? I thought the point was to find the person America liked best. I mean if this was a whole thing to promote someone who Johnny has already chosen, what if America doesn't like them? Wouldn't they rather have the person more people voted for? The person most people voted for would more than likely sell the most records and that's what a producer would be concerned with.
    Exactly.

The fraud theories didn't fly in AI and they don't fly here.
    Why force a Ruben win if Clay is genuinely getting more votes?
    It makes no sense.

If they want to pre-select the winner, why bother opening the show to public voting, other than to impress advertisers with the amount of calls you received?

If they want a certain winner for Fame, just have the judges make the decision and don't open it to the public.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast