+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 9/24 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 7

Re: 9/24 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    [/B]

I couldn't agree more. The difference I see in this show and others is that all of these contestants will at some point cross paths again and work together in their field. It benefits them all to work together and help each other.
    That said, I've been impressed this season with the level of professionalism of the contestants.
    True, and I've seen it happen. The first season winner I think (and I think Tate too) worked with Ve on the first "Hunger Games" movie and a few vets have worked with each other since their shows.

And yes, I can see all of these guys get some sort of work post show, even Frank after this go-around - for this very reason.

(My one hope though is Tate is NOT inspired by his 13-stitch finger and tries to do a makeup on it... seriously - I've never seen an injury that bad on any non-Survivor show )
    inthegarden likes this.

It took me a while but I finally figured out what bugged me so much about Tate's. My brain kept telling me "This castle is well done, the make up is crap" and finally looking at a picture, it hit me. Tate gave us a well designed, well constructed, well painted hat. He gave us the worlds largest hat instead of a make up
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by srgeman View Post
    It took me a while but I finally figured out what bugged me so much about Tate's. My brain kept telling me "This castle is well done, the make up is crap" and finally looking at a picture, it hit me. Tate gave us a well designed, well constructed, well painted hat. He gave us the worlds largest hat instead of a make up

I think it was a combination of his injury and his good construction that saved him this week. The costume too was made of latex, so it was a combination of makeup and fabrication. That said... the part that had the makeup wasn't the face, which is what hurt him (he did a literal beauty makeup and not prosthetics). Another factor, he also owned up to his mistakes and what happened, saying the injury wasn't an excuse (though it was a factor).

Please note here - I'm not harping on the one designer, but he is a great example as to what I think happened, because there are enough parallels.

The judges are at least consistent there - like with Roy with the squid monster design, Tate accepted he messed up, and again like Roy, he had an overall strong portfolio that it saved him here. Scott had been at best safe all season, but more often than not a bottom look.

That said, just like Roy I don't think Tate will get away with it again so he'd better really work hard to make a better makeup and not do construction again. He is one who can bounce back; however, it will be harder with the injury.

There are a lot of strong possibilities for a winner this season, but if Laura doesn't come out of this thing with a really nice job somewhere, something is wrong.
    jadewarlock likes this.

FINALLY!

General thoughts, opinions, observations and ramblings . . .

As others have said, FO is a shining example of how REAL life SHOULD work, but usually doesn't. It would have been SO easy for the other artists to have blown Tate's predicament off with a shrug and a: "Too bad, so sad, it ain't ME, and for THAT, I'm GLAD!". Then kept it movin' on their OWN work. THIS is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to the FO well for a long, long drink of its water!

Well, I see Glenn decided to 86 his little ties and suits, this week! Now, THIS is the Glenn we know and LOVE!!! LOLOLOL!

LAURA - Holy CRAP, is this gal GOOD!!!! I'm STILL SMH. Unless she bottoms out BIG time and never recovers, I actually think she could EASILY wind up as . . . THE WINNAH!!!!

With the POSSIBLE exception of . . .

ROY or LANEY managing to keep it in the road and hitting their mark just in CASE she has sustained catastrophes.

ROY - In the SC, I LOVED his Elmira and liked Tate's whacked-out Nursey Elvira. HST, I agreed with Roy's winning that challenge. I'm glad to see he's not letting his SC wins allow him to sit back and cruise during the ECs, but then again, he's got more common sense than that, ANYWAY, I think. I DO recall him saying that his idea was to go a little bit bigger and better each time. But, I just HOPE he remembers to keep the "bigger and better!" focused on MU that actually WORKS, and NOT fabrications.

As for his EC creation, I liked it and got it. I ADORED the facial painting. But Laura --- deservedly so! --- just blew everybody and his brother completely out of the water. I think Roy winding up safe was perfectly fitting and justified.

LANEY - Hers DID clearly read Pop Art and was fine. But I DO have to agree that there was TOO much glaring, red, bullseye color on the face that looked kind of messy, for me. Still think she's the best of the newbies crew that's left, though.

As for the REST of 'em:

FRANK - Got it. Liked it. His being safe made sense.

MIRANDA - Boy, oh BOY are the MU Gods smiling on HER! As hard and fast as she came out of the gate, it's obvious she's letting the pressure of the competition get to her. She's starting to doubt herself and her talent, big time, and she's crumbling. Far as I'm concerned, except for NOT doing anything to the arms, Miranda lucked OUT, this week (And yep, I ROLLED when Neville walked up for his close-up look and cracked: "Dolly Parton meets Cubism!".) I did wind up liking --- except for the unattended-to arms --- her look, when it FINALLY came together for her. But frankly, I think Miranda'd better get it together between her ears and get her confidence up and running, HOWEVER she can get that done. Otherwise, I feel she could wind up booting herself straight out the door and not making it to F3, even. Luck will only hold out for so long, I believe.

ALANA - Wow! The MU Gods sure pulled a double-header double shift this week! Frank and Roy being safe was understandable, based on their work. But Alana? MHO is that as much as she's clearly ramped it up and amped it up on her artistic skills, she's STILL got a screw loose between her ears when it comes to having and using logic and common sense regarding her work. For example: In the Seuss challenge, she chose the "Ooft" because that was an expression she and her BF used between each other, and NOT any forward-thinking thought process as regards the MU she was supposed to be doing. She had NO clue what an ""Ooft" actually was. And THAT came back to bite her in the ass, BIG time (IIRC, THAT was the challenge she finally got booted out on in her first go-round, as a matter of fact).

In THIS challenge, she chose constructivism because she'd formerly worked in construction and thought constructivism had something to do with construction???

Please.

And the light didn't even BEGIN to wake up and smell the coffee (i.e., realize she'd stepped in it and was about to smear it around) until they were on their way back to the lab. And what REALLY floors me is that even after she DID realize she had a possibly substantial problem, from the footage that was shown, all she did to try to help herself was have an ongoing meltdown about it and send up prayer after prayer for Michael Westmore to show up, offer his suggestions, and try to save her ass THAT way.

Which is EXACTLY how it seemed to wind up playing out, to me.

Improved artistic skills aside, Alana just doesn't seem to have a lot of common sense and forethought going on with whatever her thought process (?) is.

And that is starting to look like a consistent trait, with her.

Frankly, if I were in the industry and responsible for hiring a MU artist for a project, if I'd seen just these two FO eps with Alana --- the "Seuss" and the "Living Art" --- (and even AFTER having seen her work in the "Future Frankenstein" ep!), I wouldn't hire her.

Far as her EC MU goes, I wasn't doing cartwheels over it. It was a thrown-together, "Hail Mary!"-type deal, to me. The paint job wasn't anything to write home about. The boob with the 3D triangle pasty on the nipple didn't do much for me, either. And sticking the bottom half of her actor in a BOX???

Yep.

It was TOTALLY a "Hail, Mary!"-type deal.

Now for the bottom-feeders!

TATE.

LORD, I'm sorry about his HAND! I sure do hope he's able to adequately navigate around it, going forward. Otherwise, like Jenna, if he can't hack it in the lab during construction of his pieces because of his hand, then he shouldn't be there.

There was way, WAY too much going on with his MU. I agree with the judges that his "everything AND the kitchen sink!" approach earned him a spot in the bottom (his hand injury notwithstanding). Frankly, this MU of his reminded me quite a bit of some of Roy's "Go Big or Go HOME!" presentations.

EDDIE - He's just as cute and charming as a little bug! And just LIKE a cute, charming little bug, he does NOT have the chops to be on this show. For example: Like Alana during her first season, his painting skills leave a LOT to be desired. His sculpting skills, ditto. And as for costume choices, WTH was up with those JEANS on his actor?

Bless his heart, he TRULY needs to learn and marinate more in the REAL MU world.

If he does, THEN he just might get somewhere in the movie/TV MU biz.

SCOTT. Long, LONG overdue ouster. Besides how generally hideous his offering wound up appearing, I think another of his mistakes was that --- without honestly meaning to --- he, in a way, resurrected the "Mother Nature" challenge by skewing his offering towards who and what his father was. Not a good move, IMHO. What he wound up putting on the floor was WAY too personal. I mean, does he actually figure that he'll be able to go on a movie/TV set and skew ALL of his creations toward what's up with his various and sundry family members/friends? ME? I don't THINK so.

Bottom line, he DIDN'T follow the instructions, in the FIRST place, and what he FINALLY put out there just did NOT cut it, in the SECOND place.

It was interesting to see the artists pulling pieces of clothing from stock in the lab to outfit their actors. So I guess, maybe, they have the option of using in-lab clothing AND ordering out for things they need/want that might not be immediately on hand?

Just a thought.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    ALANA - Wow! The MU Gods sure pulled a double-header double shift this week! Frank and Roy being safe was understandable, based on their work. But Alana? MHO is that as much as she's clearly ramped it up and amped it up on her artistic skills, she's STILL got a screw loose between her ears when it comes to having and using logic and common sense regarding her work. For example: In the Seuss challenge, she chose the "Ooft" because that was an expression she and her BF used between each other, and NOT any forward-thinking thought process as regards the MU she was supposed to be doing. She had NO clue what an ""Ooft" actually was. And THAT came back to bite her in the ass, BIG time (IIRC, THAT was the challenge she finally got booted out on in her first go-round, as a matter of fact).
    Yes, the Ooft got her out. She had pretty much done the SAME character, and on top of it, the makeup AND the costume got her eliminated. I think even the poor model had her eyes nearly glued shut. It honestly to me was also one of the WORST makeups in the whole history of the show, but not as bad as Megan's "disguise" of beauty makeup when the artists had to create a makeup to change their appearance and fool their family and loved ones. Even *I* knew that Megan's mom figured it out and was trying to hide the fact so she could be safe

TATE.

LORD, I'm sorry about his HAND! I sure do hope he's able to adequately navigate around it, going forward. Otherwise, like Jenna, if he can't hack it in the lab during construction of his pieces because of his hand, then he shouldn't be there.

There was way, WAY too much going on with his MU. I agree with the judges that his "everything AND the kitchen sink!" approach earned him a spot in the bottom (his hand injury notwithstanding). Frankly, this MU of his reminded me quite a bit of some of Roy's "Go Big or Go HOME!" presentations.
    In fairness to Roy, he didn't do one this extreme on the whole kit and caboodle in a makeup, but you're pretty accurate here on the construction part.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Yes, the Ooft got her out. She had pretty much done the SAME character, and on top of it, the makeup AND the costume got her eliminated. I think even the poor model had her eyes nearly glued shut. It honestly to me was also one of the WORST makeups in the whole history of the show, but not as bad as Megan's "disguise" of beauty makeup when the artists had to create a makeup to change their appearance and fool their family and loved ones. Even *I* knew that Megan's mom figured it out and was trying to hide the fact so she could be safe

In fairness to Roy, he didn't do one this extreme on the whole kit and caboodle in a makeup, but you're pretty accurate here on the construction part.
    Thanks, jade!

I THOUGHT I remembered it being the "Ooft" that finally got her bounced. And yep, I DO recall her model practically needing toothpicks in her eyes to hold them open.

Meagan? Don't recall that one. If it was from S1, I didn't see it. Will do my BEST to check it out, because I'd LIKE to see that!

Roy?

OK.

Fair enough.

Matter of fact, as huge as Fox' "Two Heads Are Better Than One" giant makeup was (for example), it STILL didn't have all the stuff going on with it that Tate's did in this challenge.

Far as Roy goes, I think what got stuck in my head about him when I made that comparison to Tate's MU THIS go-round was the large fabrication he did on that MU where he worked with Rod. AND the statement he made THIS show about wanting to go a little bigger and better each time. And/or the statement he made on the show that got HIM booted (with the snake woman, where he pulled he hair of that godawful wig through the ears) about wanting to do something nobody'd ever seen before.

Well, Tate's WAS, perhaps, arguably the biggest "costume" (to use the judges' description) anybody'd ever seen on FO! And, sure as hell, nobody'd EVER seen ANYTHING like it, before.

Yep, Tate's WAS probably BIGGER . . .

But, BETTER . . .

Naaah!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Thanks, jade!

I THOUGHT I remembered it being the "Ooft" that finally got her bounced. And yep, I DO recall her model practically needing toothpicks in her eyes to hold them open.

Meagan? Don't recall that one. If it was from S1, I didn't see it. Will do my BEST to check it out, because I'd LIKE to see that!
    First season, and yes, this was a bad makeup. She was really the ONLY contestant who's ever been eliminated without a discussion on bottom looks. (This is the one my favorite from that season - Sam, won with her gender changing makeup, really the best of the lot. Tate's was good but it was a little safe).

Roy?

OK.

Fair enough.

Matter of fact, as huge as Fox' "Two Heads Are Better Than One" giant makeup was (for example), it STILL didn't have all the stuff going on with it that Tate's did in this challenge.

Far as Roy goes, I think what got stuck in my head about him when I made that comparison to Tate's MU THIS go-round was the large fabrication he did on that MU where he worked with Rod. AND the statement he made THIS show about wanting to go a little bigger and better each time. And/or the statement he made on the show that got HIM booted (with the snake woman, where he pulled he hair of that godawful wig through the ears) about wanting to do something nobody'd ever seen before.

Well, Tate's WAS, perhaps, arguably the biggest "costume" (to use the judges' description) anybody'd ever seen on FO! And, sure as hell, nobody'd EVER seen ANYTHING like it, before.

Yep, Tate's WAS probably BIGGER . . .

But, BETTER . . .

Naaah!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Out of all the constructions I've seen, Tate's is the most complex and confusing of the lot that has been in a bottom look. Makeup? - well, out of the Roy-Tate debate, Roy's worst still is worst compared to Tate's worst (and I mean either season for both). The snake woman was so... SO... wrong with the wig. I think had he NOT done that, Laura would've won that season or it'd been close between her and Roy for the win over Nicole (who would've been eliminated that go-round).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    First season, and yes, this was a bad makeup. She was really the ONLY contestant who's ever been eliminated without a discussion on bottom looks. (This is the one my favorite from that season - Sam, won with her gender changing makeup, really the best of the lot. Tate's was good but it was a little safe).

Out of all the constructions I've seen, Tate's is the most complex and confusing of the lot that has been in a bottom look. Makeup? - well, out of the Roy-Tate debate, Roy's worst still is worst compared to Tate's worst (and I mean either season for both). The snake woman was so... SO... wrong with the wig. I think had he NOT done that, Laura would've won that season or it'd been close between her and Roy for the win over Nicole (who would've been eliminated that go-round).
    Pretty much elimned WITHOUT a discussion on bottom looks???

Whoah.

That WAS a bad MU!

As for complex and confusing?

Erm, yep.

Admittedly, I've never seen S1. But even having said that, I'll happily agree with you that Tate's did CERTAINLY earn the "complex" and "confusing" designations. It ALMOST made a kind of a twisted sense, when he explained it, but the final product . . .

Oh, boy.

It just looks like a Makeup Monster wandered into the lab, hurled, and the end product turned out to be what Tate put on that stage. How the model actually apparently made it out there under her own power in that get-up STILL has me SMH in awe and wonder.

And maybe I'm thinking of another artist at another time, or something, but did I ACTUALLY hear Tate say that he wished he could've finished it, done more, to it, or something along those lines?

I hope to GOD I'm just recalling echoes of something somebody else said, and that that DIDN'T come out of HIS mouth!

Heaven KNOWS, that thing ABSOLUTELY DID NOT NEED ANYTHING more done to or with it!

And, yep, much as I LOVE Roy, that snake woman of his blew chunks then, and STILL does! IIRC, even HE realized that wig wasn't working. The hair pulled through the ears? No. He didn't have a CLUE about that.

But the WIG?

Yep.

Pretty much elimned WITHOUT a discussion on bottom looks???

Whoah.

That WAS a bad MU!
    Oh yeah... in fact as much as I give Frank a hard time for not caring in season one, at least he had makeup jobs that were prosthetics from his first appearance to his elimination. (They really weren't painted well, and IMHO he's really kicked himself in the backside and is seriously working hard to do well).

Admittedly, I've never seen S1. But even having said that, I'll happily agree with you that Tate's did CERTAINLY earn the "complex" and "confusing" designations. It ALMOST made a kind of a twisted sense, when he explained it, but the final product . . .

Oh, boy.

It just looks like a Makeup Monster wandered into the lab, hurled, and the end product turned out to be what Tate put on that stage. How the model actually apparently made it out there under her own power in that get-up STILL has me SMH in awe and wonder.
    She also got hit in the face with Godzilla's powderpuff of silver powder... only to then realize he helped out by adding a bit of Popeye's spinach to carry the makeup/costume to stage.

And maybe I'm thinking of another artist at another time, or something, but did I ACTUALLY hear Tate say that he wished he could've finished it, done more, to it, or something along those lines?

I hope to GOD I'm just recalling echoes of something somebody else said, and that that DIDN'T come out of HIS mouth!

Heaven KNOWS, that thing ABSOLUTELY DID NOT NEED ANYTHING more done to or with it!
    He did say that in this case - but just the face. I think he may not have wanted to do all the stuff he did after the injury but given that the rest of the cast helped out he focused on the construction instead of makeup and voila... that makeup. While I do think Alana's makeup was hideous and should've been bottom three... she did at least have prosthetics on the face that were much better than Tate's hat.

He got clever and it bit him in the nose.

And, yep, much as I LOVE Roy, that snake woman of his blew chunks then, and STILL does! IIRC, even HE realized that wig wasn't working. The hair pulled through the ears? No. He didn't have a CLUE about that.

But the WIG?

Yep.
    He had to keep it on once he realized his mistake because it stuck to the bald cap and he didn't have another one. It was a bad decision, which might've been rectified if he at least made a bit more of a boyish/pixie cut instead of threading bits through the ears. (Though of note - I have had a couple strands of hair go through my piercings before, and note they are regular ones, not the plugs. Still unfeasible in the makeup, but it's not unheard of to happen).

His snake makeup was bad, but I STILL give the nods for the worst his season to Tommy with the zombie rabbit (which winner Nicole had been eliminated on before she got her second chance) and that one with the guy who flat out quit the show (thankfully - and honestly, for as much as I razz Frank for not trying - at least he DID try his first season in comparison).
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast