+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock
  • 2 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: 9/17 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 6

9/17 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 6

It's a Halloween-y challenge. Away from beauty back to horror.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 9/17 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 6

Was surprised Tate won - I thought Roy might pull it off. That said again these two show what they're about and had good looks.

Laney's clown... As much as I'll say that the cotton candy was a DUMB idea (Roy is right there - and they had a similar issue I believe with either "PR" or LAST season's "Face Off" with the candy challenge), it ended up working well for her character. The lumpy and melting portions of the cotton candy added the creepy factor. The only problem was that it was starting to pull away from the skull cap.

Laura - love her, but that vampire wasn't really all that special.

Scott and Alana... both also deserving in the bottom two with Lyma. I do think Scott's was WORSE than Lyma's though... his was bad sculpt and paint job (plus not a lot of prosthetics). Lyma's was a weak paint job but it was a bit interesting. Alana would've survived for another week regardless.

That said - Alana needs a lesson in livestock 101 if she thought that face represented a ram. The nose was wrong as was the jawline. I kept thinking it was a rabbit with petrified lava ears.

The rest were OK, but nothing to write home about. Was glad Miranda turned it around though on her skeleton (though it was muddy in color).

Next week's preview really made me cringe and shudder and the like.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Tate's hand really looked bad - I am a strong stomached person but the way his fingers were bleeding after they were crushed by the mold, my head swam. I really hope he's OK long term, but if he is eliminated on a medical, I will say it's for a very good reason - that was bad.
    Duckyface likes this.

Its just matter of time that all the newbies get the boot. They're just weak. I wasnt impressed with Lana's creepy clown so i was surprised that she was one of the top 3 looks. Scott will be next. He's been in the bottom many times just like Lyma.

FORT Newbie

I think out of all the newbies that Lana is the best there. I really loved Roy's devil design. I agreed with Glenn abou the make up being too dark, but thinking about why he did the color and thinking of the devil it really fit together.
    I was not surprised by Lyma being eliminated. I thought the head piece looked like a costume mask and the body did not make any sense with the design.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't think Laney's should have been in the top looks, either. There were a lot of things I didn't like about the design besides the messed-up cotton candy hair. I hadn't even noticed the hairy armpits until Vee pointed them out and then I wished she hadn't. Eww!

I'm glad Tate won because I liked his the most. I guess I would have put Miranda's in the top looks instead of Laney's.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of designers who didn't do well in this challenge. Their looks were either uninspired (something I'd seen before) or not well-executed.
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

I look forward every week to reading Jade's take on the weeks makeups. I usually agree wholeheartedly.

The melting cotton candy on Laney's clown actually worked to make it creepier, but overall I just didn't like it.

I loved Roy and Tate's creations this week! I also really liked one of the scarecrows, the one with the stick on it's back and root like fingers, I can't remember whose it was though.

You could see from her sketches where Alana wanted to go and it could have been really good, but she wasn't able to translate the sketch into real life at all. That was supposed to be a ram? No one ever would have guessed. A rabbit with lava ears like Jade said is more like it, and certainly a rabbit with lava ears doesn't translate as a devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I look forward every week to reading Jade's take on the weeks makeups. I usually agree wholeheartedly.

The melting cotton candy on Laney's clown actually worked to make it creepier, but overall I just didn't like it.

I loved Roy and Tate's creations this week! I also really liked one of the scarecrows, the one with the stick on it's back and root like fingers, I can't remember whose it was though.

You could see from her sketches where Alana wanted to go and it could have been really good, but she wasn't able to translate the sketch into real life at all. That was supposed to be a ram? No one ever would have guessed. A rabbit with lava ears like Jade said is more like it, and certainly a rabbit with lava ears doesn't translate as a devil.
    Frank did one that the stick was across shoulders. I don't remember the other one. If Frank's I agree actually... It was for him quite good.

On Laney's I do agree a bit on taste but only on using candy as hair. The painting was a smudge off but not bad. I think Next time she needs to consider hot glue or another avenue to create spun sugar effect. I didn't think Roy's critique was harsh there either (add it is a rare thing on the show). It was common sense.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 09-18-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Another note I'd like to mention - I was disappointed with how for the most part these folks went the easy way out as far as the "trick" part of the makeup. Several used glowing eyes, two used the blood trick, and it was just seriously - in my best Glenn Hetrick voice - unimpressive.

In addition, a couple I wasn't even sure what they did (it was that hidden), and with Laura's and one of the scarecrows I couldn't really tell that they had blood bleeding from them.

I THINK the reason why Laney managed to make top three besides the judge's reasoning on the makeup is the fact that she, Roy and Tate actually had GOOD and CREATIVE "tricks" in their makeup.

Laney - the intestines that the clown pulled out as "sweets"

Tate - the beating black heart

Roy - the wings that sprung up from the Devil.

Sometimes it's the tiny details like that which will keep you safe versus top three.

I think Laney may be the last of the newbies in the competition and right now is the only one who could actually win this contest (well providing her canvas doesn't have another reaction to makeup).
    Duckyface and inthegarden like this.

I have to admit to being surprised Lyma was eliminated over Scott. She had a top look last week and Scott has been in the bottom for at least 3 weeks. He's shown no creativity or ability to wow the judges. Lyma, at least, had some really original ideas (high fashion Humpty Dumpty, pregnant Mother Earth). She wouldn't have made it much farther...but don't agree with this week's elim.

Surprisingly blah this week considering most of them drool any time horror is specifically ordered. Liked Roy's and Tate's was pretty good also. Everyone else's? meh...nothing special.

I had to laugh a little. Laura was going on about she was sooo thrilled to finally have the chance to do a vampire. After last week's stunning trumpet Mother Earth, she gives us - what? every vampire cliche? She's so much better than that. I really think Laura shines when she isn't doing horror.

Alana better be careful with her sculpts. I think Glenn has her number and he's going to start nailing her on it from now on.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread