+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9/3 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 4

9/3 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 4

This is the one where they go underground. I wonder what will arise from the dark?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 9/3 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 4

Roy over thought here and it nearly cost him. The face wasn't that bad... and he could've gotten away with a bit more if he focused more on that. He needs to also be careful to not use the wrong material in his creations.

That said, I agree that all three bottom looks were warranted as is the one who was eliminated. You couldn't get much more handmade mask look than if you made it yourself.

Laura was upset that Miranda won. I have to say that both should've been tied - they were well made.

Because... and I cannot believe I'm typing this out - FRANK really did have the best design tonight. While I do agree with the minor notes, he had the underground mutation character down in a very thoughtful manner. The makeup could've used a smidge more color but that was it.

Next week - they're going to finally do something that is BEAUTY, and I feel for the person who has what happens to her. I hope that they are ready for such an occurrence should it happen because (and I'm putting this in spoilers ONLY because the east coast may not have seen the teaser yet):

Click to see Spoiler:
    I do not think it's fair to have a designer eliminated because of an allergy or other issue that a makeup model may have. I think the Monarch makeup from what I saw too was going to be gorgeous.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Roy over thought here and it nearly cost him. The face wasn't that bad... and he could've gotten away with a bit more if he focused more on that. He needs to also be careful to not use the wrong material in his creations.
    Yeah, I wish he had paid more attention during the foam application. If had noticed sooner it wasn't the right material, he could have caught it before he filled the mold and might have been able to clean it out. Sort of like in construction they say "Measure twice, cut once", maybe he should check his materials twice and apply once to avoid catastrophic errors. He's darn lucky others designers had even worse creations.

My favorite design was Laura's, because her character had personality besides a creative look. I also appreciated that she considered the whole body in her look. Too many designers focus only on the face and head and don't incorporate any design lower than the neck. The detail of the hands and arms contributed so much to Laura's overall look. Miranda's was a close second, and then Frank's would have been my third choice.

Frank's was really interesting and original but I didn't get any personality from his character. Maybe it was a bit too alien and inhuman for me to connect with it. If there was a horror movie made with all three of the high scorers' characters, I could see Laura's character interacting the most with the hero of the story, Miranda's being a minor character, and Frank's creature making brief appearances in the background.
    Duckyface likes this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Agree with the elimination. That was a halloween mask that you can buy from the store. I think all the newbies will be eliminated 1st before the veterans. Eric's problem was that he is weak in concept so being paired with an amateurish partner who is no better than him got him eliminated last week. Frank stepped up this week but I still want him to go before any veteran or newbie. Impressive on Miranda for already winning 3 of the 4 challenges.

I thought Laura's was a more thoughtful design. She integrated a rat/mole/human, while Miranda's to me just looked like she made a mole face. It was a good mole face, but still didn't look like something that developed in the area she was shown, but rather a mole. It looked like she copied the mole face from the books they were looking at.

There were sure some bad ones this week and I agree with who went home. I'm glad Roy managed to stay!
    Last edited by Duckyface; 09-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Watching the "morphing" videos of each design last night I was struck again by how they all start out with these beautiful models and then (almost every time) make them really ugly! I always enjoy how the models really get into the characters.

When they showed RJ's character last night, I started singing "Sigmund the Sea Monster and Johnny and Scott are friends...." Good Lord that was bad.

I liked Laura's design a lot and think she probably would have won with a less pink paint job. If the character had been more pale, it would have put that design over the top. I liked Miranda's and (surprisingly) Frank's as well.

I really felt for Roy last night, but really respected him for making no apologies and admitting how bad it was. I think that, coupled with his previous work AND the fact that Adolfo's looked like a pumpkin mask, saved him this week. I'm sure he's going to be a lot more careful after this!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Watching the "morphing" videos of each design last night I was struck again by how they all start out with these beautiful models and then (almost every time) make them really ugly! I always enjoy how the models really get into the characters.
    Which is why I'm SO GLAD they are doing a beauty one next week. Of course we will probably see at least one person do a horror one.

It is sad though - the only times I've seen a true beauty/whimsy makeup in the show's five seasons now have been a handful:

1. Sam's final vignette of the psychedelic "Little Mermaid" (the mermaid herself).

2. All the nude body paints (which makes me wonder if they do this one this season if Frank is going to pull the stunt he did last go)

3. The queens in the first challenge this season.

There was at least one more and some such as the Tim Burton Challenge, where we had many beauty/beautiful/whimsy type makeups but at least two were horror type makeups.

I really felt for Roy last night, but really respected him for making no apologies and admitting how bad it was. I think that, coupled with his previous work AND the fact that Adolfo's looked like a pumpkin mask, saved him this week. I'm sure he's going to be a lot more careful after this!
    He had to be humbled - he does horror makeups and such for a living, so running a mold should be second nature. And - honestly, it's refreshing to see that he has learned from some of his mistakes of over thinking things - though he'll have to start doing a backup design.

But yeah - owning up for your errors in this show, and saying your makeup looked like ... well bad, does help your case. Doesn't guarantee your safety (and shouldn't) but that little extra bit can mean the difference between surviving another day and being eliminated.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

In regard to your spoiler jadewarlock, didn't one of the designers have the same issue with their model in a previous season? I can't remember what the outcome was but I do remember their was an issue with the makeup. I would think the models would and should know if they had any type of allergy.
    I agree with your post.
    I'm looking forward to next week. I'll be interested to see Tate's beauty design or not.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    In regard to your spoiler jadewarlock, didn't one of the designers have the same issue with their model in a previous season? I can't remember what the outcome was but I do remember their was an issue with the makeup. I would think the models would and should know if they had any type of allergy.
    I agree with your post.
    I'm looking forward to next week. I'll be interested to see Tate's beauty design or not.
    It was the challenge where they had to age three people to different ages, and IIRC, they used triplets as the models. (First they introduced two, and then they added the third.) The show replaced the model who had to leave because of the allergies, and I think they gave her (the artist) more time to finish the third model? (Maybe it's in our notes? But I don't remember which season it was.)
    inthegarden likes this.

Pulling for Roy, I am, but, yep, he damn near screwed himself out the door, this time. I agree that I believe he overthought the challenge. I also think that he's not completely rid himself of the "Big, BIGGER, BIGGEST! mindset. I think he's gotten a lot BETTER with that, but I don't think it's totally gone, either. Also, the whole lot of 'em are under TREMENDOUS pressure, so I can see how he made such a greenhorn mistake.

Buddy better rein it in, though. I DO think that if Adolfo hadn't tanked SO badly with that Halloween mask of his (also, wasn't this his THIRD trip to the bottom? Correct me if I'm wrong about that, please!), it might've gone VERY badly for Roy. The judges like him and KNOW what he's capable of, but they're gonna do what they need to do, too.

Liked Laura's and Miranda's. Miranda is REALLY surprising me, as is Alana. Good for 'em BOTH! And yep, Laura read to me, too, like she was pissed that Miranda won, but after being resurrected for that monstrosity from LAST week, if I were her, I wouldn't give a happy flying rip if I'd won. I'd've just been glad to've been SAFE.

Just a thought . . .

I wonder if the FO producers've ever given any thought to spotlighting the MODELS? I'd LOVE to learn more about them, what their thoughts are on the makeups, etc. I've been watching since S2, and I remember quite a few of their faces several times from the seasons I've been hooked, so I'd like to get to know more about THEM, too.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast