+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 3/19 episode - *spoilers*

Re: 3/19 episode - *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I wondered if maybe he didn't have a passport. The new laws require a passport for travel into Canada when flying (driving, too, except for minors).
    And it would explain the "family" reasoning - doesn't make sense honestly in the grand scheme of things as mentioned, but not as embarrassing as "Eric, you failed to get a passport approved so I'm sorry but you're going to have to stay here and stew." Sadly - I DO think that also factored into his elimination of sorts - being on the set and actually SEEING the makeup done and getting tips does add a lot. That said, I do think his was the weakest of the three as far as creating a hybrid, but it is a shame that not being on the set may have decided some things.

Given Wayne and Kris were the other two in the finals, I do think they're trying to ensure an Anthony win. He is the strongest of the three finalists.

Quote Originally Posted by AZHotFlash View Post
    I had wondered why Eric couldn't go to Canada on their field trip. .. I thought maybe he didn't have a current passport.. or couldn't leave the country perhaps because of maybe a past probation incident.. (I in no way know .. but it just seemed that they "sugar coated" the explanation .. saying it was a "Family" problem.. if it had something to do with his kids or wife I doubt he would stay around .. because he was always saying he was doing it all for his family... but I think he'd drop everything to go back if there was a family emergency..)
    I suspect there was something in his past that prevented him from crossing the border. I think that whole family issue was a dodge.
    Florimel and Duckyface like this.

Anthony had a pretty solid job interview this week. The guy in charge of the show was impressed, & he gets to shadow on the set. All in all, not a bad way to impress a "future" boss?

I wonder if the "shadowing" was a prize made up at the time of judging. I mean they didn't mention that if you win this challenge you get to be on the set in Toronto. Perhaps the producer/director after seeing Anthony's work and hearing from his makeup guys on the ground threw that in. All supposition, but still cool.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I suspect there was something in his past that prevented him from crossing the border. I think that whole family issue was a dodge.
    I tend to agree. I think if it had been something innocuous, it would have been explained on the show.

Perhaps it was a passport issue; I never needed one to go back and forth from Canada years ago, although I do remember my father needed to show his citizenship papers since he had been born in Russia but was a U.S. citizen for decades. I am pretty certain, however, that no vaccinations or shots or needed for travel between U.S. and Canada.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm interested enough in Defiance to get more information. It's the first show, I believe, to combine a tv series with an MMORPG in a symbiotic relationship. Apparently what happens on the show affects the game and vice versa to a degree. It's an interesting concept. I probably won't end up playing since they are charging $59.99 for the game and I rarely buy PC games until the price drops significantly.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: 3/12 episode - *spoilers*

FOX

Oh, well. I'll miss that little guy. Liked him a LOT.

BUT . . . From Day One on the Queen Mary, he made reference to how his makeup "thing" was the grotesque, horror, etc. And his makeup with that "makeup for a queen's crown" first challenge even wound up looking like a Day of the Dead mask with a sewn-shut mouth!

Then he got thrown some curveballs by: 1. Not being able to go to Canada with the rest to visit the "Defiance" makeup department, and, 2. Not being able to get the "Defiance" ailen that he specifically wanted (which, ironically enough [?] would've made a GREAT horror-type alien makeup, and, IIRC, was red or predominantly red in color). 3. Then, when he'd finally figured out which way to go with SOME kind of makeup --- almost a day late and a dollar short --- his was the least interesting of the four, because he just wasn't used to doing a "normal" makeup that DIDN'T have some sort of a grotesque or horror slant to it. Also, I agree with Ve: The hairwork on his wasn't the greatest either. To me, it kind of looked like he'd gone by the local wig store, got some tracks, and just threw 'em on to hide the neck seam.

Fox Not Making it to Canada

A. Passport Issues

Might've been a passport that kept Fox from going. BUT, I would think that the FaceOff PTB KNEW BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN GOT STARTED what challenges they were going to have during this season, and that ONE of them would take the artists out of the country. Ergo, passports WOULD be needed. And all the artists would've had to've provided their passport numbers and expiration dates, at the very least, or COPIES of their passport.

It just doesn't sound logical to me that they'd run a challenge requiring a passport, and one of the contestants makes it to F4, then can't go due to not having a passport. And, OK, even if Fox DIDN'T actually have a passport when filming first began, if he'd gone ahead and applied for one and was able to offer TPTB proof of his application, the show'd been running so long by the time this F4 challenge came up that that passport could've/would've gotten to him LONG before the F4 challenge, I think. And it CERTAINLY would've, if he'd paid the extra fee and had it expedited to him. I can't swear to it right this second (and I'm not going to look right this second), but, I believe if you pay whatever the fee is now to get a passport expedited to you, you can get it delivered via Federal Express in about a week, or so.

I mean, they've been running ads with Glenn for HOW long now, saying whoever winds up winning the Redemption challenges will compete in Season 5?

I'm willing to BET you they've already --- at the very LEAST --- got all of the S5 challenges selected, or roughed out as far as ideas go, at the very least.

So, Fox not making it to Canada because of passport issues IS possible, but I kind of doubt it.

B. Family Issues

I, obviously, don't know for certain, but I question this. I believe that if said issues were serious and DID have something to do with a member of his family (in particular), Fox most likely would've immediately been gone of his own accord, because it was so clear that he loved his family so much. I think ANY of 'em would've immediately been gone. I've seen at least two shows where a contestant had to leave or couldn't participate in a challenge due to family issues and/or personal problems. One was having MAJOR financial issues at home due to her absence. She had been notified by whoever was at home of what was going on, so she made the decision to leave the competition. The other was a show contestant who couldn't participate in a challenge because they were engraving designs on gun stocks, and his probationary terms prohibited him from being around firearms AT ALL. So, he sat that prelim challenge out, and participated in the major showcase challenge later on, with all the rest. All I remember the host saying about this guy's absence during the initial challenge was that he'd not be participating in that challenge, but WOULD be in the showcase challenge. And in a PI, the guy himself said he couldn't participate in the initial challenge because his probationary terms dictated that he couldn't be around firearms AT ALL.

Let me be clear:

I AM NOT SAYING OR IMPLYING THAT HAVING PROBATIONARY DICTATES ARE WHY FOX DIDN'T GO TO CANADA WITH THE REST. Please, nobody read anything like that into what I've said above. But the subject of why he didn't go to Canada was brought up, and those were just my humble thoughts and observations on the subject.

More later.
    Last edited by ness; 03-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

For about $300-$400, you can get a passport in 3-4 days.

Another possibility: Canada is very strict about letting convicted felons travel there. They do make exceptions, but it's apparently rare. Just one reason of many that someone might not be able to travel to Canada.

I too don't think there was any family issue. If there had been, i'm sure we would have seen clips of Eric talking about being distracted by a family situation.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I wonder if the "shadowing" was a prize made up at the time of judging. I mean they didn't mention that if you win this challenge you get to be on the set in Toronto. Perhaps the producer/director after seeing Anthony's work and hearing from his makeup guys on the ground threw that in. All supposition, but still cool.
    I don't think so because that could factor into the game show laws (though reality can skirt it - prizes tend to be looked into regardless).

What I think happened is that they saw all of the work during the three days of work (the preview footage) and then though "Why not give one of these guys that chance"?

Then again for all we know the guest judge was so amazed with Anthony's work he wanted to ensure he had a chance to get him for something regardless of if he wins this show or not. If that's the case - smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    For about $300-$400, you can get a passport in 3-4 days.

Another possibility: Canada is very strict about letting convicted felons travel there. They do make exceptions, but it's apparently rare. Just one reason of many that someone might not be able to travel to Canada.

I too don't think there was any family issue. If there had been, i'm sure we would have seen clips of Eric talking about being distracted by a family situation.
    Thanks for the info, Kip!

Great God Almighty! I had NO idea that the fees for an expedited passport had shot up THAT much! That's expensive, but if Fox REALLY needed to get his hands on a passport PDQ before he had or needed to go to Canada, then, if he could've gotten the money together if he didn't already have it to spare --- or just HAD it to pay --- then he would've just had to pay it, if he'd cut it THAT close.

I hadn't even thought of Canada's strictness about convicted felons, but I KNOW that's a viable possibility. Canada does NOT play about who they'll let in to their country, or not, and for what reason(s). And being a convicted felon would absolutely prevent you from entering that country, I think.

Yeah, we would've seen clips of Fox talking about his family problems, if there were any. How many other reality/competition shows have we seen where this has happened?

General Thoughts, Opinions and Observations

I would've preferred seeing Fox in the F3 over Wayne (even though I'm not wild about his horror-slanted makeups), but obviously, THAT didn't happen, so . . .

Wayne

Helluva sculptor. I think his time management difficulties might put him in third place. Unless he has a "come to Jesus" time management epiphany, that is. Could happen, but I'm not banking on that with him, either. As of right now, as LONG as he's been dealing with the clock on these challenges, the boy STILL can't time manage himself out of a wet paper bag. His sculpting was great, as usual, but the painting sucked, and overall, for me, whoopee. It just kinda looked like an old-school, beat-up, fugly wrestler, or something.

Kris

Anthony's closest competition. He COULD blow Anthony out of the water --- he's done it before --- so F1 for him is NOT out of the realm of possibility. Much more interesting makeup than Wayne's, although like Neville (?), I wasn't too sure about the day-glo green eyes and teeth. F2, at the VERY least, I think. Good possibility to take it all, barring Anthony pulling a Roy . . .

Anthony

That makeup spoke for itself. WONDERFUL! The WHOLE thing! He listened to last week's critiques, took them in positively, then moved his ass and did what he needed to do. Tired or not, if he can hold it together, he's still my pick for F1. Failing that, or having a disaster of major proportions occur, the lowest I can see him going is F2.

Gala responded to my question last week (Thanks, Gala!), and I'd still like to know what the rest of you think:

Of the F3, which one of the guys do you think would be the best representative to be guest lecturer at the Make Up Forever academies in New York and Paris, and why?

Just curious.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast