+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2/19 episode - *spoilers*

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

2/19 episode - *spoilers*

Quick notes on the episode:

Eric F. won the Foundation Challenge.

It appears they had to create bug-type creatures for the Spotlight.

Kris and Wayne were the Top 2.

Alam, Anthony, and Meagan were the Bottom 3.

Kris won the challenge.

Alam was eliminated.

Re: 2/19 episode - *spoilers*

I 'm really torn about Alam's elimination. Do I think she could've won the whole shebang? of course not, but she has done some really good work (candy) - whereas Megan puts out one hot mess after another. I can't remember what Megan's background is, but she can't have that much experience, if any. And the lack of design - yikes! those colors were rancid.

I disliked the way they awarded the winner this week. Wayne did create an amazing sculpt and the tail was awesome. But it was incomplete. He knew and admitted it freely and the judges knew it. Kris had a stunning creation that fully deserved the win on its own merits. They didn't need to make it seem like second best. Unfair to Kris.

I call BS on Anthony. I think he took himself down this week. I canNOT believe someone who has created so many amazing creations was completely flummoxed by an ant. Really???? I think he wanted the pressure off himself and knew he could do just enough to avoid elimination. Just my gut feeling - but that comment about knowing he was going to be in the bottom? just seemed off to me.

And a week without a snide comment about Autumn's creation? LOLOL
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    I 'm really torn about Alam's elimination. Do I think she could've won the whole shebang? of course not, but she has done some really good work (candy) - whereas Megan puts out one hot mess after another. I can't remember what Megan's background is, but she can't have that much experience, if any. And the lack of design - yikes! those colors were rancid.
    I thought Alam's was better researched than Megan's but here it was the fact she used the wrong material (silicone), had rough edges AND forgot to paint the bottom of the tail - well and the top part of the wings - that got her. Megan's as fugly as it was, was put together properly.

I do think that Alam had a better record though so she should've been saved in place of Megan - who has been in the bottom more.

Did like though Alam put it in perspective - she's the greenest one there but lasted 6 challenges against those who have been in the industry longer.

I disliked the way they awarded the winner this week. Wayne did create an amazing sculpt and the tail was awesome. But it was incomplete. He knew and admitted it freely and the judges knew it. Kris had a stunning creation that fully deserved the win on its own merits. They didn't need to make it seem like second best. Unfair to Kris.
    Yes, but I think there was a bigger reason - by telling Kris he would've won but lost because he didn't follow rules - it taught ALL of them to pay attention to the details or they could risk not only being taken out of the top spot but could be eliminated.

Though admittedly had he followed the rules, I felt that Kris' was the stronger of the two designs because of the creativity in creating the tail lighting.

I loved both designs though - they CLEARLY were the best looks.

I call BS on Anthony. I think he took himself down this week. I canNOT believe someone who has created so many amazing creations was completely flummoxed by an ant. Really???? I think he wanted the pressure off himself and knew he could do just enough to avoid elimination. Just my gut feeling - but that comment about knowing he was going to be in the bottom? just seemed off to me.

And a week without a snide comment about Autumn's creation? LOLOL
    I don't know - while I think Anthony is smart, I don't know if he'd risk putting himself up for elimination so easily.

Then again - maybe he wanted to hear true criticism from the trio so he could improve his designs and win this show.

It was a HUGE gamble for him to do that - but fortunately if that were the case it paid off. (Though he may honestly wanted a break from top or safe anyway.)

But this is something I've thought about:

Click to see Spoiler:
    If this is the case on the criticism it paid off, because the water stunt performers - if this is the final challenge - I've seen look like makeup Anthony has done.

One other note - when I saw the big screens with the closeups of the insects - I honestly thought we were going to have the nude challenge.

Off-the-top-of-my-head, hit-and-run general thoughts:

ALAM - Not surprised. Personally, I think if she'd put more work into proper construction and ACTUAL PROPER FINISHING of her character (rather than trying to recreate the color spectrum on her bug that was in the photo) she might've lived to fight another day. Also, during the walkthrough, Michael Westmore CLEARLY warned her about trying to do too much with that broad color palette she had, and warned her that she'd want to cut it down. In a PI, she BASICALLY said: "Screw it. I'm gonna do the colors I want to do." A hard head makes a soft ass. WHEN some of these people are going to listen and pay heed to what that man tells them, I'll never know. HE'S THEIR MENTOR FOR A REASON.

And I almost DIED when I looked at her finished offering, and saw that THE UNDERSIDE OF HER BUG'S BUTT, OR TAIL, OR WHATEVER IT IS THAT YOU CALL IT, HADN'T BEEN PAINTED. Also, the wings on that thing were JACKED UP AND TIED ON, too. And The Three complained that the edges on her facial sculpt weren't done/finished properly. Also, they/Ve (I think) asked her (IIRC) just WHY it'd been done in silicone, in the first place. And she GAVE NO ANSWER. Kind of interesting to me that in a PI or voiceover, I seem to recall her saying that she'd chosen silicone to mold the facial sculpt in because she could color the silicone, and it was translucent. If she was using that reasoning in her PI, then why didn't she answer with that SAME reasoning when the judges called her out about it during the stage presentation?

Hmm . . . Maybe because to answer with the truth might've made her appear to be someone who's lazy, or takes unrealistic/non-workable shortcuts, and STILL CAN'T FINISH THE WORK PROPERLY?

Sorry. Far as I'm concerned, Alam shot HERSELF in the foot with the choices she made. I think if they'd had more team challenges, and she could've partnered with someone who KNEW what they were doing, that she could've played wingwoman for and observed and LEARNED from, she might've ridden out a few more shows.

Wish it'd been Autumn. But the Makeup Gods smiled on HER this week. So Alam's greenness, stubbornness and overall poor choices served to put the noose around her neck and push her off the chair she was standing on.

ANTHONY - I figured he'd hit the wall and go through it sooner, or later.

BOY, did he.

Said it before: NOBODY is that good, to win every challenge imaginable. And he already HAD (and STILL does) a world of pressure on his back, just from winning three (four?) straight. Sure, there'd been at least a couple of Foundation and Spotlight challenge winners each (off the top of my head, Fox comes to mind as one of 'em, at least) since he blazed out of the gate. But him setting the world on fire when he showed up is still on/at the back of everybody's mind. How could it NOT be? Heck, IIRC, even Ve told him during judging that they were expecting to see something spectacular out of him because of how high he'd flown from the beginning, and maybe if he'd not been so good at the start, they wouldn't've expected something cool from him this time, either.

Frankly, I think he saw that ant and had the physical artist's equivalent of writer's block. Problem is, if you're a WRITER with writer's block, you can get up, go for a walk, have an ice cream, go a few rounds with a punching bag, etc., etc. to try to clear the cobwebs (or Elmer's glue) from your mind. Here, they can't do that. They're presented with the set-up, then thrown into the deep end of the pool, immediately. Artists' block waits for NO man, or woman, so Anthony was screwed. He was trying to run a marathon with his feet stuck in quicksand from the time that ant popped up on the monitor.

Love his work, and HIM, I do, but yep, he truly screwed the pooch on this one. What was up with those bent, plastic-straw-looking things that were coming out of his bug's face? Oh, and calling it an "ARMY Ant" and decking it out in CAMOUFLAGE PANTS, for God's sake? Frankly, I would've expected a stretch like that out of Autumn, or Alam, honestly. And the scarf tied around that thing's waist? Please. The Three tore up the paint, the sculpting (and we all KNOW the boy can SCULPT!), you name it, they hit it. They ripped him a new one, and they should've.

And I'm sorry, but much as I like him and his work, I had to SMH and chuckle when he'd agreed with The Three about how bad his stuff was this week, said he'd do better "next time", and Glenn shot back: "If there IS a next time!"

He's lucky Alam's and Meagan's sucked worse than his did, I think.

If he can't shake off that block he's got going and get his behind in gear, he could very well be done, I think.

Even though --- at THIS point, anyway --- I still believe he's capable of taking it all.

More later on, probably.
    Last edited by ness; 02-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

SMH is an abbreviation I don't know. Does it stand for something like, Smother My Hubris?

I knew Anthony was in trouble when he got so much airtime this week. That is always a tell. I do agree with the Artist's Block, though - that can be brutal, especially when you have to try to fight through it. I loved Alam's contributions to work when she was paired with a partner. However, on her own, she has fallen down every time, except for the candy challenge. She left happy that this was a good kick-off for her career.

There were only two top looks - wow. I loved the paint job Kris did more than I liked Wayne's facial sculpt. Though his win was tainted, at least Kris won.

Congrats to Eric F (now on a roll with wins) for winning the Foundation Challenge. He really, really appreciated winning the full makeup kit. Yah, that stuff must be very expensive.
    ness likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    SMH is an abbreviation I don't know. Does it stand for something like, Smother My Hubris?

I knew Anthony was in trouble when he got so much airtime this week. That is always a tell. I do agree with the Artist's Block, though - that can be brutal, especially when you have to try to fight through it. I loved Alam's contributions to work when she was paired with a partner. However, on her own, she has fallen down every time, except for the candy challenge. She left happy that this was a good kick-off for her career.

There were only two top looks - wow. I loved the paint job Kris did more than I liked Wayne's facial sculpt. Though his win was tainted, at least Kris won.

Congrats to Eric F (now on a roll with wins) for winning the Foundation Challenge. He really, really appreciated winning the full makeup kit. Yah, that stuff must be very expensive.
    LOL! SMH = Shake (or Shaking) My Head.

Expensive? I didn't bat an eyelash when McKenzie said that prize is worth several thou. I BELIEVED her!

Alam, I think, just probably needs to go out and freelance as a makeup apprentice, at this stage of her career. You're right, when she's with someone, she's fantastic. And no, believe it or not, I loved her doll in the candy challenge, and don't think that was a fluke at all. I just believe she needs more hands-on, practical, day-to-day experience with a master or mistress of her craft. She DEFINITELY needs to learn to listen and make better on-your-feet and on-the-fly choices. Her attitude going out was good, though.

I think Wayne and Kris deserved top looks. I think Kris DESERVED the win, free and clear, because his --- while being beautiful, and well-executed --- met all the criteria of the challenge. I don't think it was necessary at ALL for Glenn to have qualified WHY Wayne didn't win ("You would've been the top, BUT . . . ). Just state that those two were the top looks, and Kris took it. Or, even better: "These were our top two looks. Kris takes it because his creation met all the requirements and elements of the challenge." And be DONE with it. Wayne --- and everybody else --- knew his look was incomplete, so I really don't believe he would've seriously been expecting top spot ANYWAY.

When they step in it, they go BIG.

They were really flippin' out over that taillight of Wayne's, so I suppose they felt they HAD to give him a public, rousing "Attaboy!" somehow.

STILL think that was really tacky how it was handled, though. Even though I DO understand that they wanted to strongly acknowledge Wayne's work.
    Last edited by ness; 02-20-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Gala62 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I also liked Alam's attitude as she was leaving. She is so green, but has a great positive outlook. Some of her choices were seriously bad this week - I, too, was looking at the unpainted section and groaning. The wings? Better to have left them off as Neville said. She needs more training on fabrication, that much was painfully obvious! But she has raw talent and once she has some experience under her belt, I think she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Megan, or as I'm calling her, Debbie Downer? Yeah, her fabrication was ok, but gah, such an ugly (and not interesting ugly) creation.

hmmm...that's a good point about writer's block Ness. I still don't think he tried very hard this week, but maybe because he just couldn't get any inspiration from the challenge? We all pretty much guessed Anthony would have a "crash". I'm glad it was fairly early on. Hopefully this will shake him up and he comes back roaring. Also nice to see that several others have plenty of talent to give Anthony a great competition. I was worried there for awhile!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

OK.

That's IT.

Meagan is NOW officially known as DD (for --- what ELSE??? --- DEBBIE DOWNER!)!! And again, here was, yet again, ANOTHER case of one of 'em NOT listening to Michael Westmore. IIRC, he specifically TOLD her about the painting to MAKE SURE she started with either a white, or light yellow base on the fur. THEN paint over THAT so the colors would pop and not get muddy --- or something in that general ballpark.

And what do we see? DD bent over those wings, no white or yellow in sight, painting and painting and PAINTING the HELL out of 'em. She painted 'em clear into the middle of next month. She simply did NOT have a CLUE when to stop painting! Even SHE realized how crappy they looked! Also, it kinda looked to me like even though she SAID she was going to do two-part wings, with a total of four parts, instead of Kris' one-part set-up, either she didn't put those four-parters on the model right, or she just wound up doing the bottom halves. Because to me at least, it didn't look like there was much going on on the tops of the arms of her bug, as far as wing action was concerned.

And even though she painted those wings like her life depended on it, is it just me, or did the color not look ANYTHING like what was in the picture? Or does anybody else think she might've painted 'em so much, as they dried, the color darkened and muddied DRASTICALLY?

Just sayin' and askin'.

She thought she was going home for that. (So did I.) I get why they sent Alam home, but seriously...how many weeks has Meagan been in the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    She thought she was going home for that. (So did I.) I get why they sent Alam home, but seriously...how many weeks has Meagan been in the bottom?
    Quite a few.

Don't recall HOW many, so far.

And yep, DD's only saving grace was Alam's tacked-together-with-spit-and-a-prayer monstrosity.

But for that, I think she'd've been packing up her kit and agitating the gravel, instead of Alam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast