+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 10/31 finale part 2 *Spoilers*

Re: 10/31 finale part 2 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Based on some of the comments here I want to come to the defense of those who voted for Nicole. Don`t assume we based our votes only on her final look. Intentional or not, that opinion sounds a wee bit condescending. Like the rest of you, most of us voted for our favorite artist based on the entire body of work. Yes, there are some voters who base their votes on any number of reasons other than the best body of work, but it occurs in every group. People who voted for Nicole, generally speaking, are no less astute in the thought process of casting votes than are those who voted for Laura.
    I didn't - I think that in her case it's what gave her the win though. The only time she did not have a good makeup was the one that got her ousted. Even the werewolf was better than it - though had Roy I think not put that wig on his design's head, she'd been eliminated again that go.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Based on some of the comments here I want to come to the defense of those who voted for Nicole. Don`t assume we based our votes only on her final look. Intentional or not, that opinion sounds a wee bit condescending. Like the rest of you, most of us voted for our favorite artist based on the entire body of work. Yes, there are some voters who base their votes on any number of reasons other than the best body of work, but it occurs in every group. People who voted for Nicole, generally speaking, are no less astute in the thought process of casting votes than are those who voted for Laura.
    redsox . . .

I would think, hope and believe that --- at least among us in this particular thread --- there were no assumptions made by anyone on how someone cast their votes based on a contestant's final look. Because, to me, at least, for anyone to have made assumptions about how or why anyone voted in the particular manner they did would be rude, ignorant and insulting in the extreme to the one who cast a particular vote.

Speaking strictly for Yours Truly:

Do I think the Comeback Kid factor propelled Nicole to the win? Yep. Do I begrudge her that? Nope. Am I happy she won? Yep. If Laura's demon had been better, do I think she'd've pulled out the win? Yep. Or at the VERY least, POSSIBLY. Why? After thinking about it, I believe it's VERY possible that the Comeback Kid factor might STILL have propelled Nicole into the winner's circle.

After all, America DOES love an underdog!

Do I wish it had been handled differently and NOBODY got to come back? ESPECIALLY after they'd been out of the arena for two weeks while the others had been plugging away for a couple of challenges? HELL, yeah! Am I mad at Nicole? Nope. She just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right skills.

What I DID and DO find funny, is that in a PI on the "Alice" challenge (the one that got her bounced, of course), I clearly recall Nicole saying how she was going to do a dark, Goth, Alice because that was what SHE liked. Then, after her return, when the judges were questioning her about her stellar work --- and complementing her on it, too --- since her return, IIRC, she said something to the effect that (paraphrasing, of course) her mindset upon returning was that instead of doing things that the JUDGES wanted to see, she was now doing things that SHE wanted to see.

WTF?!

I was ROFLMFAO at that. If she was now doing things SHE wanted to see AFTER her return, then what was up with the dark, Goth Alice she did --- BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT SHE LIKED --- that got her bounced out of there, in the FIRST place?

I mean, talk about TALKING out of BOTH SIDES of your MOUTH!!!!!!!!

Astuteness?

I don't think that even enters into it.

We all look at the show. Some of us like certain things and people. Some of us don't. It's all good. I happen to like sardines on white bread with yellow mustard and ice-cold dill pickles. You may not. You may like venison. I may despise it.

Again, it's all good.

Why?

Because I don't think either of us'll wind up killing each other over NOT liking what the other likes, or having different takes on why we do or don't like what the other does.

You don't have to have a certain degree of astuteness to formulate ideas, opinions, or likes or dislikes about something, or someone.

JMHO.

TripleGemini likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

NESS: No, I don't think the overall body of work during the course of the series was taken into consideration by the voters. Had it been, Laura would've won.

That was what I was responding to. My response was nothing personal, I just dont happen to agree since I did take her total body of work into consideration along with the others. I wrote that the majority of people voting for Nicole were like me in that respect, as astute in their voting criteria as those voting for other contestants. I did not use the word astute in reference to Nicole. And if she contradicted herself that doesn't have any impact on how her total body of work turned out. In the end though, it comes down to personal preference regarding aesthetic appeal, creativity and craftmanship. I believe Nicole and Laura are on the same level in executing craftsmanship. The comeback kid factor? I`m sure some people were motivated to vote based on that, but I think it can also be said Laura benefited from the `cute, sweet girl who misses her husband` factor. I dont mean that as a put down, rather an example of how each contestant has a voting block based on something other than voting based on talent alone. We could come up with all sorts of variables but in the end Nicole won and why not be happy about it? I didn`t even realize people were going to get upset about contestants being brought back after a week. It never occurred to me that such a move would be `controversial.`We don`t know what Nicole was doing during her time away from the show- but we shouldn`t assume she was just hanging out recharging her batteries. We can agree on one thing-this is just a show. I`m genuinely surprised by how seriously viewers are taking Laura's loss(not on this forum but on the Scyfy forum). Heck, if it played out the way I really wanted it to, Roy would have been in the final and won the whole thing. It seems to me the judges were overly critical of his final snake woman piece in comparison to the others. But again thats just opinion and personal perspective.
    You are right, it all comes down to personal taste. And no matter who wins in these shows there will never be a universal consensus that the best person won. It's human nature.Thank you for taking the time to explain to me where you are coming from. I appreciate it.

Now I'm off to have a chili pepper and mayonnaise sandwich
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Thanks Ness. In my opinion there were only TWO incomplete looks, and both cost the person their spot in the game.

These were Tommy's Dishonored makeup

and

Alana's - Seuss makeup.

In fact, IMHO Tommy's zombie rabbit also hit the border with me, as even Nicole's Alice was more complete.

In all honesty, I wish Nicole hadn't been eliminated that challenge and instead Tommy was because I think even then she had the better makeup - and we'd have less of the snipping of Nicole winning on the SyFy (I really wish they'd revert to SciFi again) page.

Oh and I agree with the judges challenge from you: because honestly I think this was more of a PRODUCTION stance, not the judges. Not ONCE did I hear any of them say he had an incomplete look. Far from it - even his wig faux pax they just said they hated the wig, not that it looked like it was incomplete.
    So do I. SyFy is just ridiculous; it makes no sense and I won't use it. Still type scifi.com when I want to go there. Even their slogan, "Imagine Greater," is awful. If they are using "greater" as an adjective, then what noun does it modify? Greater shows? Greater stories? Greater what? If they are using it as an adverb, then "Imagine Greater" than what? Greater than other networks? Greater than other science or science fiction channels? It was a lot better for me when it was strictly a science fiction channel.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123