+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 10/16 - Episode Discussion - "Junkyard Cyborg" - *spoilers*

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

10/16 - Episode Discussion - "Junkyard Cyborg" - *spoilers*

Sarah is like the Prissy of Face Off. Instead of not knowing nothin' about birthin' babies, she doesn't know nothin' about Alice in Wonderland, Dr. Suess, cyborgs, etc. What, did she hop on a bus from a Mennonite colony to go on Face Off? Her excuses get really old after awhile. Instead of copping out and blaming her lack of ideas on her background, she should just get an idea of what they're doing from the people around her and then make something that appeals to her. The judges can decide if it fits the theme or not.

I get so tired of the steampunk eye thing. I've seen that done so many times. I can't say I"m a fan of steampunk in general but at least if contestants are going to do it, they should do it in a new and unique way. Do a cyborg version of another facial or body feature.

I hope Sarah goes home tonight. Her lack of culture experience is going to severely hamper her if she continues in this field. I hope after leaving Face Off, she starts going to sci-fi movies and learning pop culture so she can reference it for her work.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Re: 10/16 - Episode Discussion - "Junkyard Cyborg" - *spoilers*

Talk about being in over your head.

How in the HELL Sarah wound up on this show in the FIRST place, I'll NEVER know.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think Sarah had good basic skills but when she went outside her comfort/knowledge zone, she was lost and couldn't seem to get her footing. With all the reference material online, she just couldn't make that transition.

Kudos to Nicole! wow! F3 is getting tough to call. Anyone could go next week.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The right person definitely went home this week. It pleased me that the judges had Sarah at the bottom all by herself because she clearly was not in the same league as the others.

It's funny that Roy loved his cyborg so much, calling it the nest thing he's done, but I wasn't impressed with it and neither were the judges. I think Glen is right, that he needs to do less and do a better job with it instead of trying to impress the judges with the sheer volume of his work. Coming to the end of the competition with all the dead-weight gone, it's going to take more skill, more creativity, more versatility to stay on top. Roy needs to streamline his designs to get the most bang from his buck.

Nicole definitely deserved the win. Hers was the only design that not only fit the challenge as a cyborg but that also retained its human feel. She created an intriguing character that I wanted to learn more about. She didn't require an explanation of what she was to be interesting.

Laura seemed out of her element this week and didn't do as well as she's been doing the rest of this competition. She's lucky that Sarah was still here this week or she might have been the one going home.

I liked the profile of Derek's design but 1) I feel like I've seen the look before. Cyclops from the X-Men comes to mind as a version of this look. 2) Having a mask over the character's face eliminates any facial expressions, limiting what the actor can do with the character. Nicole's design was better because the actress's face was still exposed.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Wow.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES!!!!!!!!!

SARAH - I suspect last week, it wound up on the cutting-room floor, but THIS week, I barely batted an eyelash when she said something about not having a clue about cyborgs because she'd been raised Mennonite. And, I noticed, she did the SAME thing Alana did last week, when she ran up on Derek to give her guidance/ideas about which way to go with her project. And, like last week, I noticed Derek didn't bite, AGAIN.

Frankly, I think it was too long coming. I mean, she won the pirate challenge, and I clearly remember her saying something about having looked up on the Net about how sea urchins happen to secrete a yellow ooze. And she wanted the urchin on her actress' chest to ooze just when the judges moved in for their up-close inspections. Which turned out to be absolute GENIUS on her part.

Now, not knowing anything about Seuss, cyborgs, etc., I'm trying to figure out WHY she wasn't able to look up SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE to give her ideas and/or direction AFTER the pirate challenge? If, having been Mennonite, you still had enough on the ball to go look up info/pics about sea urchins (and I'm assuming you didn't know much about THEM, etiher), then, far as I'm concerned, you sure SHOULD'VE had enough on the ball to've been able to get at least SOME basic info on other challenges to've represented yourself better than you did after the pirate.

LAURA - Wow. It sure didn't help when her model lost it in Last Looks. But I agree with the judges. There was really nothing about that makeup that was cohesive at all. Then again, everybody's entitled to a bad week. And actually, I think even those that are pretty much untouchable in what it is that they do HAVE to have off weeks, to keep them learning, and humble. For me, she just pretty much tanked on this one. Maybe she'll find her footing and put herself back into contention for F2 again, next week. I hope so. She's SO good, I'd hate to not see her in the finale.

ROY - Good as he is, if he's not very, very careful, he'll wind up being "Rod: The Sequel". I DO have to say that on the Seuss challenge, AND this one, actually, it was believably arguable that his apparent "Big. BIGGER! BIGGEST!!! mindset/mode of construction DOES have a place (and on the challenge where he and Rod teamed up, too, actually). Which is probably WHY (besides Sarah's being so undeniably godawful) his butt was safe this week, I think. BUT, he needs to be able to consistently demonstrate that sometimes, less IS more. That you DON'T need to use a baseball bat to kill a cockroach. And Roy is capable of doing that. He certainly proved it during the Beauty Foundation Challenge, when he groaned going in that his beauty makeups usually wound up looking like hookers. THEN, he turned around and WON it. He'd better scale it down next time, though. REGARDLESS of whether or not he could arguably get away with the Jumbo of makeups and fabrication, given whatever the specific challenge is. Because I DON'T think the judges'll give him another pass. Much as they might WANT to. And he's so good, that'd be a crying shame, if that happened and they booted him.

DEREK - Is this Lazarus 2012, or what? VERY good bounce-back. I did like what he did, but I also have to admit that I would've LOVED to have seen an actual hint or bit of a face somewhere on his model. Even with that, he did well for himself, with this. Derek's redemption this week is going to make this a REAL sprint to the finish. And I like that!

NICOLE - Girlfriend ROCKED it. AGAIN! I TOTALLY agreed with Ve when she said this was a creation that could just be shot right then and there. I liked the Poison Ivy hairdo, the face, the costume. The whole damned thing WORKED, and she's PROVEN that she deserved her callback, and the win for this challenge, also. She's showing that she's got the basic goods, and even more importantly, I think, the broad, open mindset that will serve her well as an artist in the industry. The possible return of her goth mindset had me a little worried, I admit, even after last week's deserved win. But, my hat's off to her. I'm looking forward to seeing what and how she does next week.

Right now, even with his resurrection this week, my feeling is that Derek is the weakest of the four left. Then again, you never know. If Laura tanks again, Rod doesn't lose the "baseball bat to kill a roach" mindset, or Laura slips, Derek could be a factor at the end.
    Last edited by ness; 10-17-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Speaking of Rod, did you notice during a commercial segment he presented something for Flavor Monsters? He had the same darn face on it he got outed from the show for!

I had to shake my head at that. I wonder if he made that design before or after his appearance on Face Off? If it was after, it shows he's still a one-note wonder. At least he varied it up with the coloring and details but the basic bones are about the same. He has a thing for chubby aliens with big frowning mouths.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Speaking of Rod, did you notice during a commercial segment he presented something for Flavor Monsters? He had the same darn face on it he got outed from the show for!

I had to shake my head at that. I wonder if he made that design before or after his appearance on Face Off? If it was after, it shows he's still a one-note wonder. At least he varied it up with the coloring and details but the basic bones are about the same. He has a thing for chubby aliens with big frowning mouths.
    YEAH I SAW THAT!!!!!!!!

The only thing I could do was SMH.

And yeah, I DID have to wonder if that was before, or AFTER he got booted.

TALK about painting yourself into a corner!
    pikachu likes this.

I think Laura made the mistake of watching what everyone else was doing & trying to hard to top them. She has always done well relying on herself. I think she'll be back to normal next week. Really though, I only liked Nicole's effort. All the others were just to busy for me.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I think Laura made the mistake of watching what everyone else was doing & trying to hard to top them. She has always done well relying on herself. I think she'll be back to normal next week. Really though, I only liked Nicole's effort. All the others were just to busy for me.
    Good points!

I was expecting Laura to do well on this, since she'd mentioned that the heroine of "Terminator" was one of her favorites. AND she's been so greatly consistent, otherwise. I think "Terminator" was the movie she'd mentioned; I don't recall the heroine's name, right now. But, guess she let herself get shaken by the others' work.

Most likely, she'll land on her feet again next week. I hope.

But anything can happen, too.

Nicole's DID ROCK!

Her return and what she's done with it has immensely changed the field of play, here!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    I was expecting Laura to do well on this, since she'd mentioned that the heroine of "Terminator" was one of her favorites. AND she's been so greatly consistent, otherwise. I think "Terminator" was the movie she'd mentioned; I don't recall the heroine's name, right now. But, guess she let herself get shaken by the others' work.

Most likely, she'll land on her feet again next week. I hope.

But anything can happen, too.

Nicole's DID ROCK!

Her return and what she's done with it has immensely changed the field of play, here!

more good points!!

Nicole has thrown everyone for a bit of a loop I think! Lots of energy now.

And how utterly, utterly cool that we have 2 super strong women nearing the end!

I'm actually picking Derek or Roy to leave next - can't believe I'm saying that, but Roy may have met his match...just maybe. Derek is so all over the place. It could be brilliant, it could be a trainwreck.

I have every confidence Laura will shake this off and come back strong (oh, character from Terminator is Sarah Connor).

Has anyone on any of these competition shows ever come back and done so well? Usually they're booted off again on the next challenge. YAY Nicole!!
    ness likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast