+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 10/02 - Episode Discussion - "Monster Twist" - *spoilers*

10/02 - Episode Discussion - "Monster Twist" - *spoilers*

FAce Off is reminding me more and more of Project Runway. On Project Runway the judges will at first ooh and aah a designer and then start to berate him or her for doing the same thing over and over again. Season 10 - Ven, the origami dress and Dimitry just dresses, and you wonder why don't they get rid of them. Well, all I hear about is how Roy does the same face over and over again and yet he is still here. Why?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: 10/02 - Episode Discussion - "Monster Twist" - *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    FAce Off is reminding me more and more of Project Runway. On Project Runway the judges will at first ooh and aah a designer and then start to berate him or her for doing the same thing over and over again. Season 10 - Ven, the origami dress and Dimitry just dresses, and you wonder why don't they get rid of them. Well, all I hear about is how Roy does the same face over and over again and yet he is still here. Why?
    If I'm in error here I apologize, but looking at the makeups - I think you have the wrong three letter guy.

I think in the case of Rod they seriously thought that he'd change his habits and he didn't. While I DO agree with him in this case that he was doing exactly what the client wanted, the face does look similar to ones in the past.

Roy - the cowboy - however hasn't stayed static in his faces, for better or worse he does attempt something new each week. While I agree he was a top look this week because he managed to keep both the artist's concept and his own ideas combined into a great combination, I also agree he shouldn't be the winner due to the technical issues. I think he'd been better on the mechanics if he had done a ball nestled in an empty 3/4 sphere and between them the flap to create the eyelids. It's hard to really describe, but basically I think the tension issue would've been taken out if he had created an extra part to place the latex onto but the eyelid underneath that so it can open and close without the friction.

Laura's was stunning - especially the paint and sculpt on the face. Most definitely the winner. Both she and Roy were the ones who really embraced the challenge but still put in more of the client's ideas and designs in the makeup instead of what they felt was right.

As far as elimination - Well, I think it should've been Alana. The paint was bad and then the obvious errors.

But I'm not surprised with Rod's elimination - the judges are so demanding (and given their credentials it's warranted - they know what will sell and possibly further the designer's careers) that they probably would eliminate someone who is not listening. In real life - if you don't listen to what others are saying, you won't book jobs. While again - I agree that he gave the kid what he wanted, I do see where he could've done at least something different instead of the same chubby fact that looked quite a bit similar to his first week piece.

Again not fond of designers getting a second chance - or any contestant; however, I think in Nicole's case they eliminated her too soon over an IMHO weaker design (Tommy's) and she proved her salt. Don't think she'll last much longer again, but at least she has gotten a second chance.

Now I'm trying to figure out why such a low response so far for last night's episode? The gimmicks they use in this show are subtle but they usually are fitting for this particular type of contest. Last night's to me is reminiscent of the Museum of Glass' (Tacoma, Washington) contest where children age 6-12 (I think one of those two ages is a bit off, maybe a bit younger) can draw a picture and have the chance to have that monster or creation turned into a glass sculpture. Some designs were so popular they became a special collection for purchase for the community. (BTW, the kids get a sculpture - which for its size is easily $500-$1,000 pending on the glass, and the MOG puts one on display).

I think that's why I liked this challenge, because while some of the designs were adjusted to fit a human underneath (such as Alana's), they mostly kept that spirit alive.

My only minor complaint is that the kids did not get to see the results from the looks of things.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't agree that Rod was just doing what his client wanted. The kid's picture didn't look like his usual big-head to me. Besides that, there's more than one way to do a face for someone with a big head. He keeps making them with the same proportions and same facial expressions. Quite honestly, last week, I thought the character he created looked much like Rod's own face! It made me wonder if maybe he was fat at one time and modelled his character after himself or a relative, or if he looked in a mirror the first time he sculpted a mold to get facial features figured out and has been stuck doing it the same way ever since. I'm glad he finally got sent home. He needs to expand his abilities and create a variety of looks for his creations to make himself more marketable.

I wish Derek's brother had gotten back in the competition instead of Nicole. I wasn't too impressed with her earlier in the competition.

It's surprising to me that Alana has lasted this long but I agreed with the judges keeping her this week. Her character had its problems but it's one of the best she's done this season. The profile was very good. If she had done a better job with the paint, she might have had one of the top looks. BTW, I've noticed that in all of her camera spots, where she's commenting about the episode, she's always in the same outfit. Did they film those moments all at one time at the end of the season or does she get in that same outfit every week when filming her comments? I haven't really noticed if everyone else is wearing the same thing during their comments. Her outfit is distinctive enough that I noticed it. It reminds me of some of the clothes Mondo on Project Runway designs for himself and wears on the runway.

I liked Laura's makeup but didn't like the body of her character. It looked stupid and childish compared to the complex work on the head of the creature. If she had used a similar material on the body, at least in parts of it, I would have liked it better.

I thought Roy's looked the most like the kid's sketch. It's too bad he wasn't able to get the eye to fully function but at least he went for it.

I couldn't believe the judges voted Sarah safe. To me, her creature was the worst of all of them! The profile looked like a regular person with a misshapen, indistinctive blob for the head. It wasn't just not human. There were no features on it at all to give it any characteristics. Even the paint was a sloppy job. In the darkness of the studio, I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be or how it related to her kid's sketch. Sarah has been slumping the last several weeks. I'm surprised the judges haven't said anything to her to shake her up and get her back on the right path. Maybe they're seeing something I don't.

I agree with jadewarlock that the kids should have been at the judging to see their creations brought to life. I was disappointed when they weren't included because I was sure they would be there.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Rod has now been told several times to modify his "big heads", so when he did it again last night, I was sure he was going home. As pikachu said above, he could have changed it up, but they always look really similar.

I wish Roy had gotten the mechanics to work correctly, but I'm glad Laura won. And I don't have a problem with Nicole returning...I seem to remember her doing some decent work earlier and her makeup for the Foundation Challenge was great.

Rod needed ....really needed to go home. After a great start (which in retrospect is looking more and more like a one trick pony), he just devolved into this mess of zero creativity. I mean c'mon. How can he NOT understand and see that he is doing the same basic facial shapes challenge after challenge? Did he not say something to the effect about the ears? WTF? Sorry, Rod. Your ears are not the problem. Bubble-headed, frowny-faced dudes are! He had not one, but 2 judges personally talk to him about it...dang!

Alana is so into her "vision" that she doesn't seem to listen to critiques very well. This was at least the 2nd time she's brushed off the judges comments during walk-through. Listen up honey!

I was glad to see Nicole return and not go home immediately. Very nice to see so many women still in it!

Yay for Laura! she seemed truly touched the kids were getting supplies in her name. I really liked her monster. Lower body was a bit rough, but the head more than made up for it.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I loved the green monster. It was true to the original design, but more important to me, it touched me and made me laugh. So happy Laura was able to pull it off for the win this episode.

Rod's wasn't the worst, but it was the most redundant even with his design excuse this week.

I know they needed to bring back a designer and Nicole did a good job on the Foundation Challenge. I thought it jarring when dyed red hair (Alana) ran to hug dyed pink hair (Nicole), but, as said, I'm happy to welcome back another female to the group.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I don't agree that Rod was just doing what his client wanted. The kid's picture didn't look like his usual big-head to me. Besides that, there's more than one way to do a face for someone with a big head. He keeps making them with the same proportions and same facial expressions. Quite honestly, last week, I thought the character he created looked much like Rod's own face! It made me wonder if maybe he was fat at one time and modelled his character after himself or a relative, or if he looked in a mirror the first time he sculpted a mold to get facial features figured out and has been stuck doing it the same way ever since. I'm glad he finally got sent home. He needs to expand his abilities and create a variety of looks for his creations to make himself more marketable.
    pikachu . . .

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Specifically, please see what I've bolded from YOUR post, above, then see what I've copied/pasted from MY post from 09/18 . . .

ROD - SMH. Boy. Oh. Boy. Not only did Buddy step in it BIG time, he smeared it around, too. Ve practically did that sculpting FOR him. And he STILL didn't alter it enough to where it didn't read like three others he'd done before it. The man's NOT stupid. I really DO believe that the understands the English language. Hell, I KNOW he does, because it came out of his own mouth that since Ve actually approached him TWICE about facial alterations on his sculpt, he KNEW he was in trouble. I couldn't BELIEVE it when she left, then came BACK to warn him AGAIN about the round face. I've only been on board since Season 2, and I don't recall seeing ANY of the judges EVER do that, before. And, IIJM (i.e., "is it just me"), or does that face that Rod seems to create over and over LOOK A LOT LIKE HIS OWN FACE? Say, like if he'd been eating like Mama Boo Boo, or something? ESPECIALLY the lips?

ROD - No, IT WASN'T JUST ME!!!! His facial sculpts DID resemble his own face! The one from last night had slightly bigger, more feminine lips that were partially opened, but pretty much looked like most/all of his OTHER faces.

Yep, It was time for him to go. His justification for him doing his usual schtick last night was that it was "what the client wanted". Well, his client was a nine-year-old child, and he KNEW he'd been skating on thin ice for MORE than a while with how his sculpts read to the judges. From what I remember about the kid's drawing, yep, there WAS a round shape to the moonhead she put in her drawing. Even acknowledging that, I have to agree with Glenn (?) when he said (paraphrasing): "There were a MILLION things he could've done to that sculpt! And Ve: "Yeah! He could've put the mouth on the SIDE, or something!" And this came AFTER Neville had SPECIFICALLY addressed him about it, in HIS walkthrough (IIRC), just as Ve had.

I still believe he's got the goods to be a mover and shaker in the industry. BUT I also believe that a hard head makes a soft ass. And if he's not willing to experiment and expand the range of his facial sculpts, I don't think he'll ever go very far in the business.

LAURA - The iridescence and hard, solid appearance of the head sculpt vs. the furry body were a tiny bit disjointed, to me. But, she did a fantastic job, and deserved the win. I chuckled when I first saw it. What she came up with kind of reminded me of drawings out of Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are".

ROY - I honestly liked his BETTER than Laura's. However, the lids on the eyes DIDN'T work properly, so second place for him was a good call. I believe that if the eyes had worked, he would've gotten the win. It intrigued me when Glenn said they knew he was an excellent fabricator, etc., but what else could he do? I SURE would like to see what else! If what he's been doing isn't enough, I can't begin to wrap my mind around the concept of what WOULD be. So I'll be waiting to see what happens, here.

SARAH - HIDEOUS. Why is she still on the show? That WAS a great cookie, though. Gotta give it to her.

ALANA - TALK about being born under a blessed star! I don't know about a better paint job possibly having been able to get her into the top looks. There were also issues with the human nose and the two sets of nose holes above that nose. Except that one of those sets were actually human eyes, and the set ABOVE them looked kind of like flat, plugged-up nose holes. But, it was still good, and she deserved to stay.

NICOLE - Bless her heart, she walks on the dark side, anyway, so her monster turned out to be right up her alley and appropriate for the challenge. She deserved to stay. ESPECIALLY for that facial sculpt, backpiece and wings.

DEREK - The colors rocked and the beak and mouth horns were interesting. But, this was the time to have put more into his sculpt and less into that costume on which the wings looked like cut-off, Elmer's Glue-d on pieces of shower curtain. He deserved his bottom ranking.

Looks like Laura and Cowboy are going to be in a neck-and neck fight for the win, with Derek breathing down their necks.

Should be VERY interesting.

Oh, and BTW . . .

I agree with both you and jade that the kids should've been at the judging. Error in judgment by TPTB.
    Last edited by Critical; 10-03-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
    jadewarlock likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    LAURA - The iridescence and hard, solid appearance of the head sculpt vs. the furry body were a tiny bit disjointed, to me. But, she did a fantastic job, and deserved the win. I chuckled when I first saw it. What she came up with kind of reminded me of drawings out of Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are".
    That's true, good observation! BTW, that was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I loved the story itself and the illustrations in the book.
    ness likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    That's true, good observation! BTW, that was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I loved the story itself and the illustrations in the book.
    I STILL love that book, and I want to get one for my toddler niece, too!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast