+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ness
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: It's back! New season starts Aug 21 :-)

It's back! New season starts Aug 21 :-)

Yay!

Re: It's back! New season starts Aug 21 :-)

I am SO looking forward to this!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I've marked my calendar.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The DVR is set and ready to go...bring it!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!!

I like this show because it is based on your skills and they are a lot fairer in the pros and cons of the work. It's also nice that - at least so far, the producers RESPECT these hosts and judges in that they do not hire characters for the show, they hire actual competitors.

Looks like this season too may have some actual BEAUTY sci-fi makeup instead of allowing the folks to just go and do horror makeup all the time. My only complaint has been that there are too many challenges that allow them to do horror/goth type makeup, which is fine but just too much.

Example, even though Sam's makeup season one in the finals wasn't super strong, I DID love it for the fact there was quite a bit of beauty in that psychadelic little mermaid makeup. It's one of I think four or five makeups I remember from the first two seasons for that reason - the others being the other three finalists first season, Jo's body art from season 1 (the first one), the glittery fish makeup in season 2, Sam's disguise makeup season 1 and the basketball duo CD cover makeup in the second season.

This one is a speculation, I hope spoiler so I'm putting it in spoilers:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I am SO hoping that one of the glimpses I saw is indeed actually a Hunger Games inspired makeup - it did look like beauty makeup and the faces are reminiscent of what I've read Katniss describe in "Catching Fire" as what some of the capitol citizens did to their faces and bodies.

Maybe wishful thinking, but Ve Neill did SUCH a good job on the makeups in the first movie that I have that hope they at least tried.

I find that I like the judges on this show very much, too. Ve is spectacular. As is Glenn. What I respect most about them, I think, is that if they've got something to say, they're going to SAY it. Glenn, in PARTICULAR. Even if it hurts. And if I were an aspiring Hollywood make-up artist, I wouldn't want them to bring what they had to say any other way than the way in which they do it. Even if I didn't win the whole schmear, sugar-coating a critique would NOT make me learn anything, in the long run.

And the long run is what I'd be in it for.

I also like MacKenzie as the host.

REALLY looking forward to this!

And I'll miss Patrick (he'll only be doing the first show, I think), but looks like they've got a new judge this season to pick up the slack. Neville Page. I've never heard of him, but I checked out his bio on the Face Off website. Seems like he's got an impressive makeup pedigree, so it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the judging chair.
    Last edited by ness; 08-21-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm really looking forward to this show - good competition with unbelievable skills and minimum drama - well if there is any, they don't dwell on it much. The show is all about the work of these amazingly talented people - the kind of reality show I LIKE!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I like it too because these are amazing artists AND the producers know to give them at least two days if not three to actually get these looks together. Even the worst ones IMHO have been better than many of the more recent "Project Runway" looks. (Not all mind you, but compare the worst to worst - no contest "Face Off" wins.
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread