+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/14 Finale Episode Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

3/14 Finale Episode Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I'm still waiting for the show to start, but I had to go and see who won anyway!

Although I have been pulling for Ian because he's so darned cute, I'm really happy for Rayce! I haven't been a big RJ fan, although I loved his Tim Burton character. I think the final 3 was really strong - probably better than last season. That bodes well for season 3!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 3/14 Finale Episode Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I'm so happy for Rayce! He's a talented designer and a nice guy so I felt good about his win. I hope he has a lot of success as a result of being on Face Off.

This was unique in that the characters moved and performed before an audience. I don't remember an audience participation finale last year, but it was lovely that the judges agreed with their pick of Rayce for the best. That tattoo artist from Idaho better get into the game now. With the prize money, he can set up college funds for his four kids and maybe move the family closer to the FX action.

I always liked Ian's work on the show and am so glad this newbie to the craft has already made a name for himself with those high up in the industry who see his individual style.

I loved the phoenix idea and creation from RJ; I just didn't see how the wizard and Mother Earth played together with it. I was so happy to see all three quickly come up with concepts and then direct their helpers to complete their visions. A satisfying ending to a great season!

BTW: I think at the end of the credits they said there will be another season in June.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

I really enjoyed this season. I went into the finale without a favorite and would have been happy with any one of them winning. (It was a nice way to watch - usually on these competition show, I've got a favorite I'm rooting for.) It was great to see all the eliminated contestants work so well with the finalists. Bravo to them, too.

I agreed with the judges and the audience that the win should go to Rayce (loved his two-faced creation). Ian's so young, he was just happy to be in the finale.

Love these judges.

I had no idea there are so many special effects people in the world. I wondered how they'd be able to find contestants to do multiple seasons. Shows how little I know!

I liked all of them in the final ... was really glad Sue wasn't there because she just annoys the heck outta me. I guess I was rooting for Rayce a tad more, because of his kids and he did good work. I hate when they try to push a contestant on the viewers because of their story ... forget the story, can they perform?!?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I have to say, although I was conflicted about who I wanted to win before I watched the episode, I definitely think the judges picked the right one. I like Ian a lot, but I was sort of underwhelmed. Frankly, I thought RJ's looked like something out of a Sid and Marty Croft series. I kept waiting for Witchiepoo or Sigmund the Seamonster to jump out. I thought his paint colors, in particular, were awful, Just too garish and not realistic enough....and yes, I realize talking about realism in this context is kind of ridiculous.

While Rayce obviously had some problems with the bald cap and silicone, etc. lifting after the big dance number, I think the judges saw more potential in him. You can teach better technique, but you can't teach someone to have an original mind. I thought Rayce's designs were just superior.

I guess we know where Jerry's taste level is and why he was eliminated: he thought RJ had it in the bag. Kind of tells us all we need to know.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was impressed that RJ used so many different techniques in putting his makeups together. But I gasped when I saw Rayce's...they were just so impressive (in spite of the issues).

Like everyone else, I was super impressed with the previous contestants work and attitudes, and I thought it was a great final 3. Now to wait for summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I guess we know where Jerry's taste level is and why he was eliminated: he thought RJ had it in the bag. Kind of tells us all we need to know.
    True... however, if it was Jerry versus RJ, RJ would've won in a landslide. At least HE attempted to do a variety and took risks and didn't always think he was hotstuff.

Unfortunately I didn't see the seasons finale from start to finish; however, I was able to see the final three looks and most of the judging (fell asleep when they announced the winner).

While I was surprised Rayce won given the makeup, I think they factored in that sometimes the dancers and whatnot are going full tilt and other factors they can't compute (sweat production and the like) could be the cause.

Still, Rayce's makeup really was the strongest, followed by Ian and then RJ in the trio. All, like last season's four - were worthy of being the winner in their own way, but I think Rayce had the best overall portfolio and had the least amount (I think) of bottom two performances.

All three took risks throughout the season, some to success others to near disaster, but they all were creative in at least design.

I also liked that they had to do an action makeup over a diorama/display like last year's Brothers Grimm story done in an odd genre (i.e. little mermaid/psychadelic or apocalypse Red Riding Hood). Most makeups are used in action and not displays, so this was the ultimate test in their skills.

This is a fun show, though I do think they need to challenge the designers more in having them do beauty makeup, more age makeup (making a young person old and the reverse if possible). And, more likely now after the movie is out, maybe have the contestants do a makeup inspired by say The Hunger Games (mutts/Capitol citizen based on the books, not the movie - yeah huge difference there), etc.

There is more they can do besides sci-fi/monster/horror makeup. Not that I mind seeing these types of monsters from time to time in the show, but I have to admit I loved for example the lionfish man and the iridecent fish hybrids this year, the rock-n-roll dinosaur, the age makeup and even the twist on the "Wizard of Oz" (even if yes they were both horror/apocalypse inspired, I loved the twist).

+ Reply to Thread