+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 show

2/23 show

For the first time in this show, I feel the judging was done specifically for dramatic purposes.

The challenge as we know was a gender-swapping challenge with engaged couples.

Sam and her teammate did a very risky older makeup for their couple. It had issues such as air bubbles and minor edge issues, but while in the bottom half I think they were safe for taking the risk- even if it wasn't well (I do agree on the "go big or go home" stance taken by Sam's teammate).

Jo and Tom were in the bottom - WHILE Megan and Conner were the WINNING team and MEGAN the winner in the design.

Not only did I think the other top team - the one with the androgynous male and the Vegas/shotgun wedding - was better (they seriously could pass off as the opposite gender), it was fun, cute and they were actually in character. This was something I loved - they couple had fun with it (along I think with Sam's team - they did look cute if the makeup was not the best as it should've been).

Megan nominated Tom, but I think the judged eliminated Jo because of her comments about how little Megan did in the shop.

Jo was right though - Megan pretty much did the painting, she did very little molding and sculpting and from what I could see flirt. Even the others noticed too - though admittedly they didn't open their mouths and risk being eliminated for it.

I'm not sure what Megan said in response to Jo's comment of "You'd better prove yourself and show you don't ride on coattails" comment. I'm not sure it's nice, but on the one note it does validate my speculation (Spoiler of sorts based on commercials) in regard to at least how far Megan goes.

Oh, they did have a foundation challenge - applying facial hair. Of note, Megan's makeup FELL OUT when combed, Sam had the right style but not enough hair in the moustache (cowboy moustaches are a bit thicker, though I have seen the handlebar look), The Amish one was spot on and the Futuristic one not only won but was fairly creative for futuristic - even if "'50s futuristic." He also took note to bush the eyebrows a bit more to balance out the beard.

Frankly, if I had a choice, I'd done futuristic because you CAN get away with a bit more creativity in facial hair, such as lines and the like.

(Please note, the following is mean to be observant of current styles than can be turned futuristic) This goes doubly true when you have an African American male and could do things such as have creative cuts and designs in the facial hair and the like as I've seen cut into hair.

Not a bad idea or concept, overall not bad execution.

But I DO feel that Megan's win here was simply because Jo said what she did at the reveal.

Re: 2/23 show

The judges are on crack! Connor and Megan the best!? What the hell? I thought no way. The kinda looked like a cross dresser to me, seriously. And what was with the huge dark rectangle on his forehead? It didn't even look blended at all! Then there was the dark on nose and the whole thing looked kinda flat to me. And the guy still is quite feminine looking too. I have no idea what the judges saw this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Endit View Post
    The judges are on crack! Connor and Megan the best!? What the hell? I thought no way. The kinda looked like a cross dresser to me, seriously. And what was with the huge dark rectangle on his forehead? It didn't even look blended at all! Then there was the dark on nose and the whole thing looked kinda flat to me. And the guy still is quite feminine looking too. I have no idea what the judges saw this time.
    I agree on the guy in Megan's group - he LOOKED like a guy in drag. None of the others IMHO had the female half look like that - not even Jo's (though hers was bad.)

Tom clearly had the worst makeup - there is NO joke about that. It looked fake (especially the UNEVEN THICKNESS eyebrows). I think he's the one who has a fellow colleague in this who he's worked with and they're trying to keep them together until at least toward the end of this competition. I think he won last week's spotlight and therefore that gave him an edge to stay (i.e. a bad decision or something so they're giving him a pass).

As much as I dislike Megan's attitude toward people, she was spot on with who should've gone home and the judges ignored it plain as day.

We will see Megan I think at least two more episodes if next week Zombies one doesn't have her creating that mechanical arm I saw in the commercials.

Once again, someone who focused too much on another contestant gets eliminated. Jo was talented, but her attitude - along with some really crappy work this week - was just her undoing. Neither of Tom and Jo's people looked good. The "groom," in particular was horrible - like a Keebler elf. The "bride" just looked like a drag queen....and not a pretty one either.

ITA that Conor and Megan didn't deserve to win this one. It should have gone to Tate and Anthony. Not only did their couple look believable, but they added some humor. I liked that the judges, especially Ve, enjoyed the challenge.

Megan won't win the competition, but I don't think Jo would have either.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree - I don't think Megan will win unless the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    mechanical arm challenge I saw her with
    does very well. If that does, it will show a vast improvement compared to what she's done so far.

Out of the two women left, Sam I think has a better shot, but she needs to improve quickly and be more loose than she's being - but not so much so that she ends up creating another make up with issues (this is the third technically she's had some issues with the appliance not working right - Womb on alien, edges on the villain doll, bubbles and some edges on this week's makeup).

The guys, there are many talented ones. Tom I think can bring it and will have to this week. Frankly, with both Tom and Megan the judges could conceivably eliminate both next week if they're not careful.

Sadly though, I have this feeling that it'll be Sam and Tom, leaving Megan the last female contender. Overally, I would SORELY disagree with that outcome.

And, thanks for the head's up on the guys here Now I think I have it right:

Sam and Gage did the Chinese Couple in old age makeup
    Megan and Connor did the black couple
    Tate and Anthony did the other Chinese Couple, but this one as a shotgun wedding of sorts.

That leaves the other two - and now I can't remember their names.

Once I figure that out, I"ll know which guy is which.... I think.

BTW, I wanted to make this a separate comment: Too bad they didn't have a prize for the couple who best wore their makeup. Tate and Anthony's couple REALLY sold that makeup and wardrobe. I really wish they had won - the couple pulled out all stops to help them out, behind them Sam and Gage's team.

Frankly, Megan and Conor's team was the least effective on the selling, with Jo and Tom's closely afterward.

>>>>>>>>>

And one more thing - I'm not digging next week's challenge, but will stick through it for commentary (providing I can figure out who is whom.)

I agree with you that Sam has more talent/a better chance for the win than Megan. However, Sam needs to knock it off with trying to be super ambitious every week. I can appreciate the intention - and so do the judges at this point - but it's not going to save her if her work isn't successful. She's lucky that Tom and Jo did such a horrid job this week.

Being ambitious is all well and good if you know what you're doing - Conor has proven that in a few challenges - but Sam is working a bit beyond her ability. If she does more work like we saw this week and other contestants do work that is good, clean and solid, Sam's ambition isn't going to save her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm in agreement that the wrong pair won; for me, Connor and Megan's was extremely unimpressive.

Sad to see Jo go, but I think it should have been expected, particularly due to her lack of life experience.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I agree with you that Sam has more talent/a better chance for the win than Megan. However, Sam needs to knock it off with trying to be super ambitious every week. I can appreciate the intention - and so do the judges at this point - but it's not going to save her if her work isn't successful. She's lucky that Tom and Jo did such a horrid job this week.

Being ambitious is all well and good if you know what you're doing - Conor has proven that in a few challenges - but Sam is working a bit beyond her ability. If she does more work like we saw this week and other contestants do work that is good, clean and solid, Sam's ambition isn't going to save her.
    Yes, Sam needs to follow the KISS philosophy - Keep it simple(r) stupid. (even though she seems sweet).

And you're spot on with Sam. Next week may be very telling on three artists now - Megan, Tom and her. And out of those, I really think Tom had just a bad week, especially since his villain was very, VERY good and creative last week.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Yes, Sam needs to follow the KISS philosophy - Keep it simple(r) stupid. (even though she seems sweet).

And you're spot on with Sam. Next week may be very telling on three artists now - Megan, Tom and her. And out of those, I really think Tom had just a bad week, especially since his villain was very, VERY good and creative last week.
    I hope you're right, because his "groom" looked like a demented troll doll.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast