+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 3/18 Face Off 6: Episode 10

Re: 3/18 Face Off 6: Episode 10

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Graham's good design, but the eyes are very wonky as far as paint.

Rashaad didn't hit the moon, but he did make it to the stars this week on it.
    I agree about Graham's makeup. The eyes looked very sloppy.

I think Rashaad's makeup was visually very interesting, in a sophisticated, futuristic kind of way. To me, though, it did not read Roald Dahl at all.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I agree about Graham's makeup. The eyes looked very sloppy.

I think Rashaad's makeup was visually very interesting, in a sophisticated, futuristic kind of way. To me, though, it did not read Roald Dahl at all.
    I agree with you it didn't meet the challenge. Perhaps Rashaad isn't all that familiar with Roald Dahl. I thought it was a great make up, just not Roald Dahl whimsy ish.

I however am a big fan of Roald Dahl. I read his books as a child and have read them with my children. I loved this challenge! I loved the top two! They captured his aesthetic and the feeling of the oompa loompa jungle so well I couldn't have chosen one. The hunter guy was dressed in typical English safari clothing, like was worn by their military in the jungle areas, so that fit right right in. The little added things, the oompa loompa skulls, the bait and trap and the fur in the teeth gave both of them that little extra that made them fantastic.

I got the feeling that Roald Dahl's daughter would have chosen the hunter, but the panel, knowing the worm makeup was slightly more difficult and creative choose that. To me they should have had a first ever tie

Unless I missed hearing it, I was kind of surprised they didn't mention that Lucy Dahl is also the daughter of Academy Award winning actress Patricia Neal. Neal and Dahl were married for thirty years. He helped her survive and recover from a series a strokes that almost killed her. She was actually pregnant with Lucy when she suffered the strokes.

Patricia Neal was an amazing actress. Her Oscar was for Hud with Paul Newman and she slso starred in A Face in the Crowd.. One of my all time favorites.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Flo, I don't think you missed it, 'cause I didn't remember hearing them say anything about Patricia Neal being Lucy's mom, either.

I guess they were just focusing on the visuality (?) of Roald Dahl's books as a jump-off point for the artists to do their makeups from?
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Yes, it was about Roald Dahl's fantasy world and not his real life. I had forgotten about the Patricia Neal connection until you mentioned it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Was this Tylers third win?
    About Rashad, his work has been consistently good and masterfully done other than last week. At least in my opinion. I'm curious why the judges, who constantly praise his work while looking at it up close never give him a win. I say this because I do think he's done better designs than some of the people they pick over him.
    I do agree his design was not Roald Dahl. But, I also think the judges aren't consistent in their rules-Haven't there been occasions over the run of the series when they choose a winner even though their design doesn't relate to the theme? Also, their concerns about mouth movement and expression seems arbitrary in it's application to each contestant.
    JUst thoughts as I enjoy this show very much, particularly Ve Neil.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12