+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 3/11 Face Off 6: Episode 9

3/11 Face Off 6: Episode 9

"Mad Doctor"

This is a gore challenge in that they have to choose an older surgery instrument as inspiration and backstory that into a Mad Doctor operating on a patient.

There was gore galore - with Niko's being the worst in that department. He was safe, but we lost another female (Corrine) who tried to deal with leeches and lost when trying to figure out how to stick them to her victim.

Darran won with a melding of male/female with the actor's face shmooshed in the middle. It truly was creepy.

Good show that I saw on time for once, but it is just before bedtime.

I'm recording the show that follows - My Big Fat Geek Wedding - as it looks like fun.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 3/11 Face Off 6: Episode 9

Corrine's been doing fairly minimalistic make-up all along, but this time it failed her. And Chloe finally got her act together in time to pull off a really good result (even though she didn't have time for the "stump").

Darran's was really creepy, but really well done. Rashaad, on the other hand, just seemed a bit lost (and he was lucky that Corinne did even worse).

I hate to say it because I liked several of her makeups, but Corrine REALLY deserved to go home over that hot mess. Honestly, I was giggling when I saw it. I don't think she was last to pick her "instrument" either so no excuses there.

I liked Chloe's overall vibe, but Darran was the clear winner. Tyler's, although a good concept, didn't deliver as much of an impact. Darran's multiple face effect? wayyyy creepy.

The less said about Niko's, the better. NOT a good choice.
    Rashad's? I agree with Neville, love/hate. Parts of it were quite good...but oh that ridiculous jaw.

I also really liked Graham's. I thought the electrocution theme was very well done. Actually I would have put him in the top 2 instead of Chloe (mainly because nothing on her makeup actually showed amputation). George also did a very good piece.

All in all, even though horror is not my favorite theme, this week showed some really good makeups.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I liked the challenge but do have a bone to pick.

Admittedly Rashaad was still lost on his makeup and probably would've been save over bottom two if he hadn't added the jawbone... but...

He really was the only one who had a piece of medical equipment that is not normally used in medicine today so it's unfamiliar.

The other items at least had something that was familiar to folks - a trephine however most people don't get because of its rare use.

There were plenty of other equipment items that aren't used today that should've been in there instead... OR they all be items they had to do research on them (Meaning none of the obvious ones such as antique bone saws (which BTW - I've seen the real McCoy, that was an exaggerated version of said equipment) or the drills.

I'd say this for any and all the designers... I didn't think that the inclusion of this item was fair when most of them were at least familiar equipment used in today's medicine.

Even then most of them didn't even use the items properly IMHO.

Niko should've been in the bottom two for that reason - Admittedly Rashaad's makeup was bad, but Niko's was in poor taste and the item he used was NOT used in that way.

I think what Rashaad could've done was drilled holes in her head and used the circles with parts of the body on her face and made it appear that the guy went overboard with the holes. I think he could've tried to make it appear too that parts of her body, such as ears, or hands, looked like the scientist drilled THROUGH the person, or peeled back the skin and had holes drilled through her jaw instead of sticking it like he did.

Really the only two makeups I was impressed with were the top two. If Chloe had been able to do the cut off leg (she fortunately had the sawed off, reapplied arm and her face was well-done), I think she'd won over Daran.

Corrine had been skating by in recent weeks and the leech thing ... well... not only was it super basic (these judges always reward good attempts that failed over a safe makeup at this stage), it was also really bad. I don't even want to say what those leeches looked like when I saw the complete makeup.

I think the only way she could've saved this is if the guy maybe had so many leeches on his face he looked bloody and ripped up... or super duper pale. I just remember this fade to black scene from "Darna" where Linta (Leech Woman) was staring into the camera and the leeches oozed onto the screen... something like that could've worked with the center of his face pale with bloody patches.

On the plus, I do think this will wake up Rashaad and we'll see him turn around. The kid needed a scare honestly - he had been fading into safe territory far too long and he's on par with Daran, George, Tyler and Graham. I really think they could be the final five if they work hard and well.

One more note - George's back... something tells me that it could be bad enough he'll have to leave the show. He wasn't moving around a whole lot and almost looked like he was limping. At this stage the designers don't help out *as* much (they'll help each other to the end I've noticed) so it could eventually be too much for him. I'd hate to see it happen though.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was underwhelmed by all of the makeups this week. Some of them didn't even relate to the medical device that was supposed to be their inspiration.

For instance, Chloe had the amputation saw. I would have expected to see one or more gruesome limb amputations instead of a cut up face.

Corrine had leeches and even though she showed the leeches, her design didn't really imply what they were being used for. I guess she said they were being used for torture but how is that a scientific experiment? Perhaps if the leeches were used on one part of the body, like on one arm but not the other or on one side of the face but not the other it might have shown that the effect of leeches on the body was being studied. I would expect for the part of the body with the leeches to be paler from loss of blood. She really didn't put much effort into her design and she deserved to be let go.

I'm not sure how the hand drill tied into Niko's design. I have a feeling he would have done his look regardless of what tool he was given.

Rashaad's idea sounded neat when he described it while making it but the execution was horrible. He didn't listen to Mr. Westmore's advice about using different skin types on his patches on the face so his model just looked red, raw, and sloppy. I'm shocked that Rashaad did so poorly because he's been one of my favorite designers this season.

The ones who were most on point for their inspiration and their design were Graham, Tyler, and George. If you saw the model and had to guess which tool was their inspiration, you could easily get it.

So many of the designs LOOKED fake this week and one of the signs of a good makeup artist is their work should look real. Overall, I was disappointed.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I thought Corinne was one of the favorites to win the whole thing. Sucks to see her go.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I loved Daran's. The eye blinking on the two faces was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I liked the challenge but do have a bone to pick.

Admittedly Rashaad was still lost on his makeup and probably would've been save over bottom two if he hadn't added the jawbone... but...

He really was the only one who had a piece of medical equipment that is not normally used in medicine today so it's unfamiliar.

The other items at least had something that was familiar to folks - a trephine however most people don't get because of its rare use.

There were plenty of other equipment items that aren't used today that should've been in there instead... OR they all be items they had to do research on them (Meaning none of the obvious ones such as antique bone saws (which BTW - I've seen the real McCoy, that was an exaggerated version of said equipment) or the drills.

I'd say this for any and all the designers... I didn't think that the inclusion of this item was fair when most of them were at least familiar equipment used in today's medicine.

Even then most of them didn't even use the items properly IMHO.

Niko should've been in the bottom two for that reason - Admittedly Rashaad's makeup was bad, but Niko's was in poor taste and the item he used was NOT used in that way.

I think what Rashaad could've done was drilled holes in her head and used the circles with parts of the body on her face and made it appear that the guy went overboard with the holes. I think he could've tried to make it appear too that parts of her body, such as ears, or hands, looked like the scientist drilled THROUGH the person, or peeled back the skin and had holes drilled through her jaw instead of sticking it like he did.

Really the only two makeups I was impressed with were the top two. If Chloe had been able to do the cut off leg (she fortunately had the sawed off, reapplied arm and her face was well-done), I think she'd won over Daran.

Corrine had been skating by in recent weeks and the leech thing ... well... not only was it super basic (these judges always reward good attempts that failed over a safe makeup at this stage), it was also really bad. I don't even want to say what those leeches looked like when I saw the complete makeup.

I think the only way she could've saved this is if the guy maybe had so many leeches on his face he looked bloody and ripped up... or super duper pale. I just remember this fade to black scene from "Darna" where Linta (Leech Woman) was staring into the camera and the leeches oozed onto the screen... something like that could've worked with the center of his face pale with bloody patches.

On the plus, I do think this will wake up Rashaad and we'll see him turn around. The kid needed a scare honestly - he had been fading into safe territory far too long and he's on par with Daran, George, Tyler and Graham. I really think they could be the final five if they work hard and well.

One more note - George's back... something tells me that it could be bad enough he'll have to leave the show. He wasn't moving around a whole lot and almost looked like he was limping. At this stage the designers don't help out *as* much (they'll help each other to the end I've noticed) so it could eventually be too much for him. I'd hate to see it happen though.
    Hmmmm . . .

Rashaad . . .

I agree that he shouldn't've used the jaw/teeth. He ALSO didn't take Mr. Westmore's advice about patchwork skin, either, so he DEFINITELY didn't do himself any favors, there. Additionally, I also think there was another, classic case of Artist Block going on, here. IIRC, he was STILL trying to figure things out AFTER they got back to the lab, while everybody else was already working like the hounds of hell were running them down. I'm not at ALL surprised he wound up in the bottom; he was screwed by being blocked, and poor decisions he made after FINALLY getting going.

Oh, well . . . Good as he is, NOBODY flies high ALL the time.

Niko . . .

Poor taste? That was BEYOND poor taste. Too bad the judges didn't do a three-way B3, just to've taught him a lesson by putting the fear of God into him. Frankly, I think that if I'd've been a judge, I'd've sent his ass home for that, along with . . .

Corinne . . .

She could be the poster girl for: "Less is not necessarily more!" Yep, she's been skating by on her minimalist makeups ALL SEASON LONG. And continuing to do so FINALLY came back to bite her in the ass. If there was ONE challenge that she should've gone buck wild on, THIS would've been the one.

And also, this is ANOTHER case of an artist NOT listening to Mr. Westmore. IIRC, he TOLD her during walkthrough to do something interesting with those leeches, like having some of them burrow through the skin and NOT just hang there. Based on what I remember seeing of her makeup now, as I'm typing this, he just might as well've been talking to the wall.

I am NOT crying over her departure.

Daran . . .

Don't like him. DID like his makeup, and he SHOULD'VE won.

Chloe . . .

What a comeback! Too bad she didn't get done everything she wanted to do, but she DEFINITELY should've been in top looks.

George . . .

First the hand, now the back. I don't think he'll make it to the finals because of the back, either. How he's continuing to work with a fractured/healing hand, I'LL never know, but those two herniated discs put him on the floor. And, frankly, I think they might just send him out the door.

He's very good, and I'm enjoying seeing him go at it, but with that back, I dunno how long he's gonna last.

If he HAS to go out because of that, I hope he'll be invited back for another run at it. I'd LOVE to see how far he could go, here!

More thoughts as they pop up later, maybe.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I disagree with everyone saying Niko's was in poor taste. The judges specifically asked for a gross outcome, so if they don't want "poor taste", they should set some limits. I call a load of bull on that.

And I feel like the judges have already decided long ago that Daran is their favorite and he'll win. They just keep giving him victories when he just doesn't deserve them. He won in the guitar challenge where his make-up didn't resemble a guitar, or more like it resembled absolutely nothing. Last week he won both challenges, where in the first one, his oni looked cheap, and the second one had him do a good make-up, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the challenge at all. And now this week he wins when his make-up, wile not terrible, just wasn't up to snuff. Graham, Tyler, Niko and even George made better make-ups than Daran did. I am so over him.

I SUUUUURE do hope Rashaad gets his mojo back, this week. I'm HOPING he makes it to at LEAST the F3.

I'd LOVE to see him, Tyler and Graham mixing it up and duking it out to the end!

I'd put George's name in there, too, but I HONESTLY think his physical problems just might do him in.

Daran? I wouldn't care if he was Michelangelo reincarnated. I DON'T want to see him as the last person standing.

Niko's OK, but I think his time's running short.

Chloe, too, for that matter.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast