+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 10/8 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 9

Re: 10/8 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 9

You all summed this week up nicely.

As far as Laney creating only female characters, she is using the anatomy that is the most familiar to her. I believe I remember her saying in her intro that she is self taught. If that is the case, she doesn't have the schooling or experience that some of the other designers have and is smart to stick with what she knows. That is pretty common in artist who are in the beginning stages of their work. I think she will branch out as she becomes more experienced. She has a lot of natural raw talent and I think with the proper training she will be a fantastic artist. Hopefully, the training won't kill her spirit and creativity.
    Roy needs a mentor, who keeps him on an even keel. He burns hot and fast and then out.

FORT Newbie

Laney's only worked with Female models up to this point for the guy who asked before. The closest I think she's gotten to working with a male model is when she was teamed up with Alana and Laura on the Frankenstein challenge. But from what they said during the judging, it looks like she only worked on the female character.

I understand about the industry being collaborative and KUDOS to Tate for being so helpful and not just to Miranda. This very well could be an editing issue. We've seen just about everyone helping each other out at one time or another. But maybe not? For Roy to say something to Tate (and Roy generally is one of the go-to guys for helping), it must be getting pretty bad.

Miranda is ridiculously talented - but we've all known people like her. Too willing to run to others for help when a little common sense and calm thinking would serve her just as well.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

General meanderings of my mind . . .

jade . . .

As regards Frank, my bad. When I said "holy terror", based on the S1 clips of him that I saw, I wasn't referring to him being a "holy terror" in the sense that I thought he was going around lighting the other artists up like Christmas trees each and every single chance he got. I meant it in the sense that every clip I saw of him and his behavior, he came across to me as just what you said, with an "I don't GIVE a $#!+!!!", inappropriate, smart-ass attitude. I remember seeing the clip of the "lampshade on the head" challenge. I recall thinking when I saw it that Frank REALLY needed to GROW UP. And his reaction and behavior when he was elimned? Juvenile and inecuseable.

So, I didn't make HOW I meant and was coming across with "holy terror" in describing Frank clear.

My bad.

As for #1 FO a$$hole? I wholeheartedly agree that that would be Joe, the jerk that terrorized Tommy so. He thought more of himself than anybody thought OF him. And frankly, even though he was supposedly/allegedly working in the industry, far as I could tell from the brief time he was there, ALL of his work was one-note crap. He was a non-talented bully AND a coward, to boot, because he ran away and didn't take his more-than-likely ouster straight-up, no chaser, like a MAN.

Far as Roy counseling Tate to cover his own ass, FIRST . . .

Much as I ADORE the "many hands make light work" skew of this show --- which is what apparently goes on IN the industry on a daily basis, too, I believe there also needs and HAS to be a balance. One of the major reason this show is one of my all-time faves IS the helping hands all the artists offer each other.

Having said that . . .

I have learned from personal, PAINFUL experience, both in and OUT of the working world, in my personal life, that there are times that as big as your heart is, as MUCH as you'd like to be able to be there and help somebody out, you absolutely CANNOT do that consistently, ALL THE TIME.

It. Just. Does. NOT. WORK.

Sometimes, in order to help and save YOURSELF, you have GOT to be able to say "No. I CAN'T." MEAN that, and stick by it. You're NOT God. You can't save/help everybody, ALL THE TIME. And usually, when you try to, YOU are the one who ends up suffering and lacking. And oftentimes, I've found that in a lot of cases, when YOU are the one who needs the assistance, NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.

Matter of fact, that's a scenario I've lived and AM living, right now, on my job. I've had to learn to say "No.", and NOT feel guilty about doing so. As a result, I've found that my OWN work has improved immensely, and I no longer feel put-upon and mistreated because no one seemed to know me the rare times that the shoe was on the other foot and I DESPERATELY NEEDED backup and a safety net, like I had provided for others.

AND DIDN'T GET IT.

Based on what I've seen, Miranda ALWAYS needs and wants somebody to bail her out, seemingly EVERY ep. Of course, I'm pretty sure that a LOT of stuff wound up on the cutting-room floor, too. But, far as I remember seeing --- even with her four SC wins, so far --- Miranda has gotten weaker and weaker in terms of standing on her own two feet as much as possible in the lab. Nobody can or SHOULD be expected to bail her out every challenge, ALL the time, when they're working in the lab on their own stuff, too.

I'm sorry.

And I feel you're right about Tate playing it smart and safe by not running his mouth during the judging about what HE happened to bring to the table in terms of a particular MU. I've said BEFORE that the judges WILL get to the bottom of who did what in the lab, and they ALWAYS do. That comment was borne out of frustration at Miranda becoming weaker and weaker in the lab and needing more and more the others around her to always pull her ass out of a predicament.

It has gotten BEYOND old, to me.

Yep, Laura tanked with all that red she festooned her model with. TALK about OVERKILL.

Roy needs to stay the hell AWAY from silicone and shore himself up between the ears. Otherwise, much as I'd like to see him in F2, I don't think he'll make it. And, frankly, I'm wondering why, since he felt that using silicone was part of his downfall in his ouster the first time, he didn't go home and make silicone appliances for A MONTH STRAIGHT, just to master it. It doesn't make sense to me why he WOULDN'T and would say, ON CAMERA, that the LAST time he'd ever touched silicone was when he used it for that godawful snake woman he made that got his behind bounced off the show.

And thanks, everybody, who detailed WHY Laney seems to ALWAYS do femme makeups. Makes a LOT of sense, to me. Now, she needs to push herself, branch out, and teach herself how to handle the male MUs, too, in order to be more well-rounded.

Just a few thoughts, right now.

Maybe more later, if anything hits my brain.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Newbie

So, Syfy has a preview up for next week's episode. The challenge is to create a zombie make up that is both scary and funny. Here's what was in the clip they have on their website:

-Eddie is doing some kind of weird headed doctor (who looks a lot like something from Betelgeuse) and is trying to cure cancer or something...
    -Laney is doing a cute punk rock girl who was electrocuted...what a surprise. Good God, she even named the thing 'Electro Cute', so much for branching out.
    -Laura is doing a lot of pieces (full chest, face, ears), but they don't show her concept.
    -Eddie is second guessing his concept. He thinks that he needs to come up with something better and start over, but if he does he won't have time to finish.

I'm beginning to wonder if Laney has survived so long because she adamantly refuses to go the horror route. Even the judges must have been sick to death of the previous years overload. It must be refreshing if nothing else. I think that's why I was so disappointed in Laura's wrath design. So many interesting avenues to explore and she does come up with a good concept, but it ends up looking like a schlocky horror skull. sigh.

One question for jade maybe? If Roy is having so many difficulties with silicone and foam, what is he using that's working for him? Aren't these the main products that are used?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by dusk10 View Post
    So, Syfy has a preview up for next week's episode. The challenge is to create a zombie make up that is both scary and funny. Here's what was in the clip they have on their website:

-Eddie is doing some kind of weird headed doctor (who looks a lot like something from Betelgeuse) and is trying to cure cancer or something...
    -Laney is doing a cute punk rock girl who was electrocuted...what a surprise. Good God, she even named the thing 'Electro Cute', so much for branching out.
    -Laura is doing a lot of pieces (full chest, face, ears), but they don't show her concept.
    -Eddie is second guessing his concept. He thinks that he needs to come up with something better and start over, but if he does he won't have time to finish.
    I believe it is a ghost concept, not a zombie.

FORT Newbie

Sorry, thought I heard zombie in the preview somewhere. My mistake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12