+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/10 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 5

9/10 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 5

Well, I have to say that I was surprised about a few things in this one:

1. They overall had lovely makeups - even Laney's but I wish that it could've had all the makeup on it.

2. Frank survived simply because he did do a good sculpt on his makeup. You could tell that all his real life stuff (dad died this year, mom not doing well) is affecting his work. I do NOT like his work, but I do feel for him going through all of that. Even if he had been a bottom look, at least he TRIED to do a good makeup this time - and I give him props for it, which is much more than I can say for...

3. RJ deserved to go home... he didn't try. He had a fun concept but he really blew it worse than the bottom three makeups last week. I mean, seriously, the fellow eliminated at LEAST had a full sculpt, just a bad makeup. RJ did a couple of tiny prosthetics and hoped his beehive took him to the end.

And WHY DIDN'T he think about making the beehive a beautiful literal beehive for her head? At least it'd been sculpted. The model he got too usually can wear just about anything and make it work - even really bad makeups (she's saved a few looks that should've been bottom looks). This time however, she looked VERY EMBARRASSED to wear it.

4. The top three looks - Roy, Laura (winner) and Lyma. I will say all three of them were either beautiful in the true sense of the word (Laura and Roy) or in the artistic sense. Lyma's pregnant Mother Nature was creative, though I wish she had time to actually make a rabbit and not use a stuffed toy in the belly.

Laura and Roy I felt were neck and neck, but when you have two of the judges want the color palette for one - Laura's, then you're going to win.

Overall - nice week, and added bonus all but two were actually beautiful in the literal or interesting sense. I was glad that Glenn took the one newbie to task for making his treebark and coloring create a horror version of Mother Nature and not a beautiful one.

Re: 9/10 vets vs. newbies thread *spoilers*

I was hoping one of the newbies to go home but absolutely no chance after seeing RJ's work. That could be done in 2 hours max and it's not even going to be in the top 3 of a Foundation challenge. I thought he was going to do a beehive head but he just made a wig and then the makeup or lack of it was dismal. The concept was terrible. RJ disappointed me this week and his elimination was deserving.
    jadewarlock likes this.

Re: 9/10 vets vs. newbies thread *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I was hoping one of the newbies to go home but absolutely no chance after seeing RJ's work. That could be done in 2 hours max and it's not even going to be in the top 3 of a Foundation challenge. I thought he was going to do a beehive head but he just made a wig and then the makeup or lack of it was dismal. The concept was terrible. RJ disappointed me this week and his elimination was deserving.
    I agree, what RJ did - ESPECIALLY knowing his talent - to me was worse than anything Frank made his first season, and that's saying a bit. It was really bad.

Of note, I did NOT like the bodysuit that Frank's model had nor the top petals. They looked very fake and cheaply done. I think he was fourth from the bottom but again that headpiece is what saved him.

The top three I felt had "ready to film" pieces done, and that says a lot. Laura's I will agree with the judges - it'd be very difficult to do that solo, and she nailed it. The trumpet vine could've used a LITTLE bit of wire in the openings of the trumpets, but it still worked well.

And yes, I really TRULY would've liked to have seen what Laney's would've looked like with all the coloring and glitter. I don't think it'd been a top three look but I do think she'd had a top look.

Re: 9/10 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 5

Laura continues to astound. Laney is so damn deadpan I just love the girl.
    Arielflies likes this.

I thought that RJ had a fun idea and was sad when he didn't really do anything creative with it. I was sad to see him go. I loved both Laura and Roy's. There were some good works this week.

I agree with jade that RJ EARNED his dismissal and deserved to go.

My mouth dropped OPEN when Neville's take on RJ's chances to go the distance (during the "Meet the Vets" show) played out (paraphrasing, of course):

"Whimsey is fine. But, I don't know if he knows when NOT to use whimsey. You can't use whimsey for EVERYTHING. If he can learn that . . ."

Not only could RJ "fight the funny" that lives within him, THIS time, what he produced WASN'T EVEN REMOTELY FUNNY, OR WHIMSICAL.

Glad to see Laura shoot to the top and Roy redeem himself, as well. BOTH were beautiful creations, and even with the root skirt and branches shooting out of the shoulders of his MN, Roy did a helluva MU job, too, this time around.

Couple questions as food for general thought . . .

What's up with costuming the models? IIRC, Laney was concerned because she said what she GOT for her model to wear was not what she'd ORDERED.

On past FO shows, I seem to recall the artists going over to an area in the lab that looked like it had at least a rack of clothing in it, and making selections for their models/actors to wear with their MU.

I wonder if TPTB switched the mode/method of costuming the actors up, this season?

Far as I can tell/recall, RJs model has been around since at LEAST S2 (she MIGHT'VE been around in S1, too; I wouldn't know because I only came on board with this show in S2). I would've thought --- by NOW --- that she'd KNOW enough to not be running her mouth while the artist is attempting to glue on her facial appliances.

Frankly, I've gotta kinda wonder if she was told/instructed to throw a monkey wrench into the artists' machinery while the MU was being applied. JUST to see how the artist would handle it, maybe?

I mean, if she was as unprofessional as she came off to me in RJ's application THIS season, during S1-4 (if she was on ALL of them, that is) then I've got to wonder how in the heck she made it through those seasons without getting canned for giving the artist problems during application of the makeup?

Just a thought.
    jadewarlock likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Laney is so damn deadpan I just love the girl.
    I know. Her deadpan delivery is unintentionally hilarious, especially when she is saying things like "I am really worried," and "I hope this doesn't get me eliminated," with no emotion at all. She is a cutie.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    I agree with jade that RJ EARNED his dismissal and deserved to go.
    Note, I RARELY use this term, but it was so warranted this week it wasn't funny. I could do better and I don't have as much experience.

Couple questions as food for general thought . . .

What's up with costuming the models? IIRC, Laney was concerned because she said what she GOT for her model to wear was not what she'd ORDERED.

On past FO shows, I seem to recall the artists going over to an area in the lab that looked like it had at least a rack of clothing in it, and making selections for their models/actors to wear with their MU.

I wonder if TPTB switched the mode/method of costuming the actors up, this season?
    My guess only - but this is a great question: I think they're trying to make this a little realistic because while some cases you'd probably have the costume in front of you and then design the makeup, others could have cases where you design the makeup with a costume for a general theme, and while you work on the makeup, you send the costume part to a seamstress/seamster to make. Example, a custom order for cosplay or something.

And frankly, a lot of the costumes I've seen really haven't looked great - especially if Frank's unitard for his makeup is one of them. (I thought the silver unitard I had to wear with a blue and white tulle skirt was weird/bad)

Far as I can tell/recall, RJs model has been around since at LEAST S2 (she MIGHT'VE been around in S1, too; I wouldn't know because I only came on board with this show in S2). I would've thought --- by NOW --- that she'd KNOW enough to not be running her mouth while the artist is attempting to glue on her facial appliances.

Frankly, I've gotta kinda wonder if she was told/instructed to throw a monkey wrench into the artists' machinery while the MU was being applied. JUST to see how the artist would handle it, maybe?

I mean, if she was as unprofessional as she came off to me in RJ's application THIS season, during S1-4 (if she was on ALL of them, that is) then I've got to wonder how in the heck she made it through those seasons without getting canned for giving the artist problems during application of the makeup?
    I think it's a curveball - I've seen her I think since season 1, and she is normally very quiet. For all we know - we could've had RJ or another designer/model ask her a question or she could've had a really bad day and the standard model was unavailable. That said, they have had a few change over the years - but I think there are at least two from year one.

Or, it's also possible that makeup was SO BAD that even with her being silent it wasn't going to work. I found it odd that the chin part almost looked like a rubber band with a clear center ... not what I've normally seen in the application process. RJ should've been firm but polite and said "Please stop talking" so it's also his fault.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Note, I RARELY use this term, but it was so warranted this week it wasn't funny. I could do better and I don't have as much experience.

My guess only - but this is a great question: I think they're trying to make this a little realistic because while some cases you'd probably have the costume in front of you and then design the makeup, others could have cases where you design the makeup with a costume for a general theme, and while you work on the makeup, you send the costume part to a seamstress/seamster to make. Example, a custom order for cosplay or something.

And frankly, a lot of the costumes I've seen really haven't looked great - especially if Frank's unitard for his makeup is one of them. (I thought the silver unitard I had to wear with a blue and white tulle skirt was weird/bad)

I think it's a curveball - I've seen her I think since season 1, and she is normally very quiet. For all we know - we could've had RJ or another designer/model ask her a question or she could've had a really bad day and the standard model was unavailable. That said, they have had a few change over the years - but I think there are at least two from year one.

Or, it's also possible that makeup was SO BAD that even with her being silent it wasn't going to work. I found it odd that the chin part almost looked like a rubber band with a clear center ... not what I've normally seen in the application process. RJ should've been firm but polite and said "Please stop talking" so it's also his fault.
    jade . . .

Thanks!

Much as I LOVE RJ, and as highly as I view him AND his work, there was NO other way to call it. Not if you were going to be HONEST about it, that is.

I KNOW I could've done better, and I've had NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER in this field.

And thanks for the note re the costuming, too! Not being in or even a satellite part of the industry, it's really enlightening for me to learn that in some cases, a costume may be presented to an artist FIRST, and they'd have to work sort of ass-backwards, in that instance, on the MU.

Or, get a custom costume created for a particular MU.

I find ALL of this fascinating!

And as for the model with the runaway mouth . . .

Like I said, I didn't see her in S1. But in Ss2-4 (I THINK!) I absolutely recall seeing her and agree with you that she's normally pretty quiet. It's altogether possible that somebody could've been talking to HER, or that the MU was SO hideous (and, having done this several times before, she'd have a DEFINITE feeling/knowledge of what was going to work BEFORE it hit the stage, and what WOULDN'T!) it didn't matter if she ran her mouth during the entire process, or if she cartwheeled around the lab, causing RJ (or whoever) to have to chase her down and sit on her in order to get the job done.

And yep, I also hold RJ at least PARTIALLY responsible for that, because nobody will ever get me to believe that he couldn't've found an unoffensive way to tell her to close her mouth while he put her together.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I do wish they considered a challenge where the artists had to choose a costume (all the same style though - all dresses or all pants costumes), and have to design a makeup around it. I think it'd challenge them more as well.

Still, even if say RJ got this as a challenge costume, he could've designed a better makeup. I mean, he mentions bees and beehive, he could've made the lady a goddess with a lovely shiny beehive crown and floating soft bees around it. The face makeup be subtle patterns of say a favorite flower of his mom's that he sees bees around (and being from a wildflower state, they are not super choosy), and it could've looked really good.

Note, I do think that the guy with the treebark makeup was the second worst, but he at least TRIED to make something "Mother Nature goddess" like. If he had used a color OTHER than orange/red, it would've improved it drastically. He DID get lucky that a vet screwed up so badly with his makeup. I mean, even Roy's big mistake with the wig on the snake makeup in season three was less offensive - and that was a mistake that cost him the final three spot.

Then again - I've got to give these judges props - they ARE fairly consistent in makeup decisions that cause eliminations when I remember Roy's elimination and how that big of a decision on hair cost them the advancement (Roy that season possibly the season title).

On the model - I keep thinking she might've been a nude painting model in season one, but am not sure. I'm going to have to watch the series now to see if she was there season one. She is however one of the better makeup models.

(Of note, I'm very embarrassed to admit this - I didn't realize that MacKenzie was originally Sheridan on "Passions." I guess the long hair really does do well in altering her appearance. Will say I like her more as a host though - she's got a much better personality than what they made her act out).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast