+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ness
  • 3 Post By razorbacker
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: 10/09 - Episode Discussion - "Who's the New Who?" - *spoilers*

10/09 - Episode Discussion - "Who's the New Who?" - *spoilers*

Well, tonight was the Suess episode where they had to create a hybrid of a character and human for one of the books.

Overall I thought the designs were well made - except for the bottom three.

Top three were Roy, Laura and Nicole.

And the winner was NICOLE. I admit I think she deserved the win - hers looked very much like a Seuss character and she did think outside the box. She had a couple of minor issues with edges it looked like, but it wasn't super serious. The hair though was fantastic.

Laura and Roy were worried but their looks also were Suessical. She shouldn't have been too worried about color pallette (her character is those colors - and she did a fantastic airbrush) and he should've lost the jacket on his geat up or taken off the fur collar and instead used some sort of fabric collar (looked too much like a yellow Santa outfit) but the makeups were great.

What worries me about Laura and Roy though is that they're second guessing themselves - that can lead to trouble. They're hands down the two best left.

Bottom three - Derek, Sarah and Alana.

Derek's makeup had paint issues and I agree with the judges, he should've left the hair alone.

Sarah - Liked the horn, but the makeup had huge issues with the edges.

Alana - let's just say that it's by far in my honest opinion the worst solo makeup in "Face Off" history - and yes, this is including Meagan's disguise in the first season (where she used zero prosthetics and did a makeup job). I could go on and on about how to do a hybrid on this face, but it just was absolutely bad. SO much so that you could tell even the model didn't know how to save it.

And yes, no surprise Alana was eliminated. I think she just gave up when one of her bigger helpers (and friend - Ron) left.
    Last edited by waywyrd; 10-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 10/09 episode - *SPOILERS*

The results of tonight's show were awesome!! I wanted Nicole to win and she did, and I wanted Alana to go, and she did. Yippee!

Sarah and Derek were early favorites for me but both of them have gone downhill ever since then. I won't be sad to see either of them go.

I'm glad the judges liked Roy's look because I didn't. I thought the shades of yellow and purple he chose were totally wrong together. They clashed something awful and brought his whole outfit down. I didn't like the fat belly on his critter and the face was too much like the grinch. I think he should have changed it up a bit more. I was so worried he might go home with this look but fortunately Alana and others screwed up even more.

I don't know what Alana's problem was. To me, her character looked like a piece of cake! It was a yellow, puffy ball with a tail on it. I didn't think it would be too hard to humanize it. To me, she fell into the same trap that her buddy Rod did. So many of her characters were getting to look the same week to week. She's done this egghead look before, she's done terrible paint jobs before, she's had issues with time management and turned to other contestants to get her out of her own mess. It was high time she was sent packing. I had to laugh when Ve said she would be excited to see what Alana was doing in a year. My comment about that is I bet she's working a pole, because I don't see her having a professional career in movie makeup. Sorry, but I don't see any talent there.

I was so pleasantly surprised with Nicole this week! She did a great job last week, too, but she really nailed this challenge and truly deserved the win. I think the judges made the right choice in who to give a second chance and I'm glad she's taking full advantage of the opportunity. If she keeps it up, she could give Roy and Laura some serious competition for the win.

Re: 10/09 - Episode Discussion - "Seussical characters" - *spoilers*

Roy's was saved because he was able to animate that big face in the makeup. He also varies his makeup just enough to be different and interesting. I do agree on the belly and as mentioned preferred a different set of PJ's.

(BTW, I don't know who changed the header on my opening thread, but the spotlight challenge was "Seussical characters" not the cyborgs. That's next week's ).

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 10/09 - Episode Discussion - "Seussical characters" - *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    (BTW, I don't know who changed the header on my opening thread, but the spotlight challenge was "Seussical characters" not the cyborgs. That's next week's ).
    The Grinch did it!

Seriously, though, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. I hope whoever changed it changes it back.

Hmm, that might have made an interesting mash-up for the show--Cyborg versions of Dr. Suess characters.

Re: 10/09 - Episode Discussion - "Junkyard Cyborg" - *spoilers*

Generalities:

LOVED the Seuss set! It was really weird, though, seeing the artists standing on it in sweaters, hoodies, etc., and EVERYBODY KNOWING this is CA. Then, out comes MacKenzie in a SLEEVELESS dress??? Too funny!!! I did notice when they sat down to sketch, some of 'em LOST that outerwear they had on LOL!

And another thing about that set . . . seemed to me that when they took shots of the artists standing on it, I don't know if it was just the lighting they used to film this presentation scene, or what, but, for me at least, it actually LOOKED like they were in a cold outside environment. The only thing that was a giveaway that they WEREN'T was that you couldn't see any breath condensation on the air as they talked.

My hat's off to the producers for choosing Brian Grazer for this. COMPLETELY forgot that he'd produced "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and he was SO right. Even through all that makeup, etc., he had to act through, Carrey was totally believable as The Grinch and I bought every second of his performance. The makeup and suit did not hamper him in any way. TOO COOL!

ALANA - Thank GOD that child has been put in her crib for a LONG overdue nap. Her whining about Rod being gone got on my last good nerve. When she was doing it, I couldn't help thinking: "Oh, so now that he's gone, Rod was your knight in shining armor, huh? What about the times Roy pulled your butt out of a hole?" Also, wasn't it ROY that she told she'd kiss him but it wouldn't be appropriate?

Actually, because she was only whining about Rod being gone, and seemed to only check with Derek (of the males left) to try to give her some idea of what she was supposed to be doing with her character creation, I HAD to wonder (as pikachu or perhaps either jade, had suggested a couple or so weeks ago), if Roy had pulled her aside for a convo we didn't see about standing on her own two feet, as regards her creations.

Seems to me like, subconsciously, at least, Alana depends on being the damsel in distress to skate her way through things.

As for WHAT she created?

Wow. That sculpt and paint job kind of reminded me of one of those creepy faces you'd see on an early-1900s-doll, or something. Ve was right. To me, there was nothing even REMOTELY girly in the sense we'd think of it nowadays, even though it read to me like an antique, badly-painted doll. Maybe, instead of having a meltdown about what she was going to do, since it was supposed to be a GIRL, she could've used common sense and slapped SOME kind of girly pigtails on it, or something?

I had to LOL when she went crawling over to Derek for some ideas/direction, and he wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Hell, I don't BLAME him! I wouldn't've, EITHER! Oh, and breaking down and consulting Roy about whether or not her mold had hardened, yet. And help her, he did. Even though I STILL suspect he had a private convo with her about standing on her own two feet.

SMH.

It was nice of Sarah and Derek to come to her aid with the mold-popping and cleaning, though. The usual rescue of Alana when they really didn't HAVE to.

And the costume? OK, MAYBE putting the tail on the head was taking it someplace different. BUT A BLACK tail? I didn't get that then, and I don't get it now. Also, the costume itself just read to me like a two-minute decision to stuff somebody into a pillowcase and a pair of yellow run-around pants that just happened to be at hand at the time the thing was thrown together.

Ve saying she'd like to see what Alana'd be doing in a year's time? My thought is that over the course of the next year (at LEAST), IF Alana's got any little BIT of sense, at all, she'll apprentice with someone like Laura or Roy --- or someone else --- in order to really LEARN and get hands-on experience in the field. PLUS LEARN TO STAND ON HER OWN TWO FEET AND MAKE HER OWN CREATIVE DECISIONS, AND EXECUTE THEM WELL. Then and ONLY then, should she try to branch out as a freelancer, maybe.

Alana is just too mentally young and challenged skills-wise to be able to begin/sustain a career in this field, right now. She needs to marinate for awhile.

NICOLE - I'm SO glad she didn't get Laura's character. Otherwise, we would have seen a dark-slanted gothically Seussian character, methinks. Sure, the gothically dark side is what she likes and is right up her alley. But I give her credit for stepping up and into the Seuss world and leaving her own personal likes and dislikes out of it. She deserved it. Glad she's back and showing some RANGE. Liked how she worked the hair and the paint job on the bright yellow fun fur. Cool!

SARAH - I don't think she's long for this world. Unless she pulls off a makeup/costume job like she did for the pirate challenge, or somebody else COMPLETELY bombs next week, it just might be her time to follow Alana out of the door. Thought it was funny when Nicole suggested pajamas to her, and the regular PAJAMAS TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF THE JUDGES' GRIPES ABOUT WHAT SHE DID. She didn't have a clue that she needed to pull the pjs into the Seuss world to complete the look and give her work a fighting chance. Plus, to me, her sculpt kinda looked like an old man in pain frozen in time. At LEAST we didn't hear it about her having been a Mennonite, again.

DEREK - BOY DID HE MESS UP THE HAIR!!!! Ve TOLD HIM THE WAY HE DID THE WIG ON HER WALKTHROUGH WAS GOOD!!! WHEN are these people going to start to LISTEN to these judges AND DO EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY???? I mean, it's NOT like these judges aren't worthy of respect for their opinions (UNLIKE the DWTS Stooges). Buddy tanked on the paint job and makeup edges, too. Oh, well, he wound up in the bottom, and he DESERVED to be there. He's been missing a lot more than he's been hitting lately, seems like to me. I really don't think he's even F3 material, at this point. Seems like he might've handed that spot to Nicole.

ROY - Wasn't wild about the purple tint on his character. BUT, if he'd gone with green, with that face, I think it WOULD'VE looked too much like the Grinch and might've caused him REAL problems. Perhaps another color, maybe? Wasn't wild about the exposed belly, either. In a way, I think we saw that with his "Alice" Queen, too. I still think I get the method to his madness, though. They were told to execute their version of a Seuss/HUMAN HYBRID character, so, he HAD to go there with the chest and belly. Just as the Queen was a human character, and to show the result of the viral infection, he HAD to go there with exposing the damage on her body from the virus. And it was FANTASTIC that the model was able to move his mouth through the appliance. If he'd not listened to Ve, the guy might not've been able to move this mouth like that through silicone. And since it was a character connected to sleeping, the Seussed-out pjs worked for me, here. Not my fave of his, but I still think he's F2.

LAURA - Nothing to really say here, but the usual: She ROCKS! I loved how she had the sense to stay in the color range of the original drawing. Wish the tail had been just a wee tad bit longer, and more flexible and flexible-looking. Absolutely ADORED the Mohawk and side facial airbrushing! I didn't much get hit with SEUSS with HER character FACIALLY and bodywise, as I did with Roy's, but her work was really great, as usual. Barring major catastrophe, F2, with Roy.

Just thoughts, observations, etc.
    Last edited by ness; 10-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    jadewarlock likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

If I were making movies, I'd hire Laura right now. She has never been at the bottom & her stuff always sticks out as unique to all the others.
    ness, jadewarlock and scoot13 like this.

Ness wrote:
    I had to LOL when she went crawling over to Derek for some ideas/direction, and he wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Hell, I don't BLAME him! I wouldn't've, EITHER! Oh, and breaking down and consulting Roy about whether or not her mold had hardened, yet. And help her, he did. Even though I STILL suspect he had a private convo with her about standing on her own two feet.
    I don't have a problem with getting help on the molds - apparently that is very common and anyone who has had to pull any type of clay apart from a mold (my case a pendant bezel) can say the suction is a huge factor.

That said - yeah... it's a bit much to ask if clay has hardened or not. Unless they clay is polymer based (which does have some springy-ness to it even when hardened) it's pretty easy to tell.

And yes, it was Roy who pulled her from the depths of dispair one go that lead to the comment about kissing him but being inappropriate.

The more I look at Alana's and read comments about creepy doll - I think you guys have a point. It kinda looked like a cross between a Kewpie doll and Troll Doll. It also looked as shiny as a composition doll.

Nicole is goth admittedly; however, I think she is smart enough to know that Seuss characters are "friendly" of sorts (not like how Henson was known for the friendly Muppets and the horrid creatures of "The Dark Crystal")

The assessment of Derek is spot on it's not even funny. He blew it.

ROY - Wasn't wild about the purple tint on his character. BUT, if he'd gone with green, with that face, I think it WOULD'VE looked too much like the Grinch and might've caused him REAL problems. Perhaps another color, maybe? Wasn't wild about the exposed belly, either. In a way, I think we saw that with his "Alice" Queen, too. I still think I get the method to his madness, though. They were told to execute their version of a Seuss/HUMAN HYBRID character, so, he HAD to go there with the chest and belly. Just as the Queen was a human character, and to show the result of the viral infection, he HAD to go there with exposing the damage on her body from the virus.
    On the queen it was torso, chest, collarbone, and neck quite clearly (I had a gripe about why the overkill on nudity/breast detail).

I didn't mind the belly except it was too big, and had he added hair in just the right spots on the character's face? - he'd been in HUGE trouble for creating the Grinch. And yeah... that'd been an ousting, even if he got it right.

My gripe was on the dappling on the character's back... wasn't needed if covered up.

But given that the judges said that he had one of the best if not best interpretations of the hybrid part of this challenge - I have to say good call. It's not my favorite of his looks, but it definitely was NOT a bottom three look. It would've been, but he'd been safe - if Derek didn't screw up that makeup royally. And I say safe because he along with Laura have the strongest portfoilo of the remaining designers.

And it was FANTASTIC that the model was able to move his mouth through the appliance. If he'd not listened to Ve, the guy might not've been able to move this mouth like that through silicone. And since it was a character connected to sleeping, the Seussed-out pjs worked for me, here. Not my fave of his, but I still think he's F2.
    That's why I think the judges also have given him better scores - he listens to notes. You can see his changes time and time again.

And also again spot on with Laura's - though I did get the Seuss in her's (not as strong as Roy's though).

I really think (and hope) that the final two are Roy and Laura, and then Nicole in third at the rate it's currently going. Sarah needs to wake up soon or she's gone and Derek is again fizzling (he's been up and down so much he's a roller coaster).
    ness likes this.

Ness wrote:

I don't have a problem with getting help on the molds - apparently that is very common and anyone who has had to pull any type of clay apart from a mold (my case a pendant bezel) can say the suction is a huge factor.

That said - yeah... it's a bit much to ask if clay has hardened or not. Unless they clay is polymer based (which does have some springy-ness to it even when hardened) it's pretty easy to tell.

And yes, it was Roy who pulled her from the depths of dispair one go that lead to the comment about kissing him but being inappropriate.

The more I look at Alana's and read comments about creepy doll - I think you guys have a point. It kinda looked like a cross between a Kewpie doll and Troll Doll. It also looked as shiny as a composition doll.

Nicole is goth admittedly; however, I think she is smart enough to know that Seuss characters are "friendly" of sorts (not like how Henson was known for the friendly Muppets and the horrid creatures of "The Dark Crystal")

The assessment of Derek is spot on it's not even funny. He blew it.

On the queen it was torso, chest, collarbone, and neck quite clearly (I had a gripe about why the overkill on nudity/breast detail).

I didn't mind the belly except it was too big, and had he added hair in just the right spots on the character's face? - he'd been in HUGE trouble for creating the Grinch. And yeah... that'd been an ousting, even if he got it right.

My gripe was on the dappling on the character's back... wasn't needed if covered up.

But given that the judges said that he had one of the best if not best interpretations of the hybrid part of this challenge - I have to say good call. It's not my favorite of his looks, but it definitely was NOT a bottom three look. It would've been, but he'd been safe - if Derek didn't screw up that makeup royally. And I say safe because he along with Laura have the strongest portfoilo of the remaining designers.

That's why I think the judges also have given him better scores - he listens to notes. You can see his changes time and time again.

And also again spot on with Laura's - though I did get the Seuss in her's (not as strong as Roy's though).

I really think (and hope) that the final two are Roy and Laura, and then Nicole in third at the rate it's currently going. Sarah needs to wake up soon or she's gone and Derek is again fizzling (he's been up and down so much he's a roller coaster).
    jade . . .

So MUCH of what they do is absolutely FASCINATING to me.

OK.

ALL OF IT is fascinating to me!

Gotcha on the molds. Especially with the bigger pieces they cast, I can see how it'd be a Technicolor nightmare to try to pull some of those apart by yourself. And, to try to be fair, ESPECIALLY in Rod's case, with a bum wrist.

It's points like that that are making me understand how very important it is to be able to work alongside and with someone in this particular profession. Even if you (GASP!) happen to hate their guts, for some unfathomable reason. No man or woman IS an island, in this industry.

I'm mesmerized by the sculpting, too.

I can't think of a better description of Alana's doll than a cross between a Kewpie doll and a Troll doll. Perfect. When they went in for a close-up under those bright stage lights, I just went: "Ewwww!" and shook my head. I believe it'd do her a world of good to just apprentice with a really good mentor for at LEAST a year. The basic talent's there. She's just so young agewise AND in the business that she sometimes doesn't know how to find where her rear end is unless somebody draws her a road map to it.

Yep, it was good to see that Nicole realized that Seuss characters are such icons, you DON'T mess with 'em in the wrong way. Honestly, I was a tiny bit concerned she'd try to go at it in HER dark/goth manner. Even if she used traditional Seuss coloring. Glad to see there was no need to be concerned. She deserved that win.

I think this is, what, twice in a row that Derek tanked? I've pretty much put money on Sarah being next out. But he's SO talented, I think if he crashes and burns ONE MORE TIME, the judges will well and truly show him the door!

Just waiting for next week's show!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think next week it'll be Derek and/or Sarah (I say here either or because there's five left and they could do a double elimination like last year).

This is the first time I have no problem with a person coming back - because Nicole was IMHO truly eliminated too soon. That said, I'd still want Laura or Roy to win (that order because I think Laura has had the most top or safe looks and Roy has had at least lower look - dragon).

Derek is spinning faster than a whirlygig and Sarah's Mennonite upbringing won't factor in to an elimination as a reason. It looks like they get a basic understanding of what they're designing - which is why I felt she used it as an excuse in the Alice challenge. I mean they GOT a picture of the character, and she understood some idea of zombie.
    ness likes this.

I think next week it'll be Derek and/or Sarah (I say here either or because there's five left and they could do a double elimination like last year).

This is the first time I have no problem with a person coming back - because Nicole was IMHO truly eliminated too soon. That said, I'd still want Laura or Roy to win (that order because I think Laura has had the most top or safe looks and Roy has had at least lower look - dragon).

Derek is spinning faster than a whirlygig and Sarah's Mennonite upbringing won't factor in to an elimination as a reason. It looks like they get a basic understanding of what they're designing - which is why I felt she used it as an excuse in the Alice challenge. I mean they GOT a picture of the character, and she understood some idea of zombie.
    If they actually do a double elim, Derek and Sarah being the ones out would suit me fine. If a single, then I'd tap Sarah, first. If for no other reason than that Derek --- for all his ups and downs --- seems to have a better skill-set and knowledge base, to me. Sarah seems a more advanced version of Alana, in some ways. LOST. And no, her Mennonite background is NO excuse for that, to me. OTOH, I have to give her props for that pirate of hers. It was great, and she deserved the win for that.

The one thought that struck me about Derek is that he seems to have an absolutely remarkable ability to choose to "stretch" himself at the WRONG time. Like, with those shower-curtain wings, for example.

This show is a fine balancing act for these artists. A gamble. When is going for it on something you've never done before a blessing? Or, OTOH, when can going for it be a curse? There's just no way to ever know, for certain, until the judges have sung their song.

That dragon of Roy and Jason's? I think Roy, at that point, was concerned that he might be seen as a cowboy-hatted version of Joe, if he said anything. Plus, if he DIDN'T, he could honestly say that that WASN'T his baby, and HE hadn't rocked it. So, he didn't. Also, what didn't help was that they'd done a great chest piece, but it was mostly covered up with that robe their dragon had on. That didn't do 'em any favors, either. In retrospect, Roy, essentially, was the elder statesman on that team and maybe SHOULD'VE said something about that paint job he didn't like. So, he wound up in the bottom on that challenge. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he'd kicked himself a time or two about NOT opening his mouth about that.

Ncole's Alice WAS hideous. But, when you put it up against Tommy's Rabbit, OK, I CAN see where his was even MORE hideous. However, I can also see where Roy was coming from when he said something to the effect of not being sure about how he felt about someone being brought back when there'd been several challenges where whoever wouldn't've been in the mix. The newcomer would've had time to step back, breathe, and refresh themselves. Which was a luxury the other Makeup Warriors didn't have.

Derek? I think the pressure's getting to him and he's letting his missteps continue to play in his subconscious. Which might be a factor in the obvious mistakes he's been making.

Sarah? An advanced version of Alana. And the Mennonite deal? Please. Don't recall hearing that this last challenge (even though she might've said it; it just might've wound up on the cutting room floor if she did, this time round). But, then again, she's said it at least two times that I can vaguely recall, now. Not an excuse. I thought I saw not only her (on the pirate challenge), but CC as well (on the pirate challenge), working with an iPad. It would've been TOO easy to Google stuff to help guide her through whatever it was that she wasn't sure about. She just needs more real-time, real-life seasoning.

F2? I'm still figuring either Laura or Roy, but in no particular order. I think Roy might blow himself out of the water if he didn't pick up on Glenn's indirect warning during evals this week about how much work he usually does on a challenge, but for THAT particular challenge, to do that was appropriate and worked for him. And your are right. He seems to have a real ear for listening and reacting positively to the notes the judges give him, so I think he might be OK. That is, if the next challenge skews toward subtlety and he goes in that direction. As has been pointed out to him.

Laura? Fantastic. No, she hasn't been in the bottom, yet. She's cool under fire and knows what the hell she's doing. Wasn't wild about her dragon, but most of her stuff, I've liked.

The absolute biggest problem I see for these two is if, like you said, they start to second-guess themselves. A good example of that is Derek with that hair this week. Ve TOLD him the hair was fine in her walkthrough. But, then, he's sitting there with time on his hands, his mind starts racing, and BOOM. He wound up stepping in it. Laura and Roy are human, too. I hope they don't fall victim to the: "Well, I don't know. I COULD try . . . " mindset.

The ONE BIG TWIST that factors in to this is that THIS year, the final choice doesn't belong to the judges. They've put it on the viewers. So, regardless of what the judges might WANT, the viewers can still blow them out of the water with whoever it is they decide to choose for the winner's spot.

We'll see!

+ Reply to Thread