+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 8/28 episode - *Spoilers*

Re: 8/28 episode - *Spoilers*

For me the worse was Jerry's monster with the spikes around the mouth that got him eliminated. Heck, even Sue's final makeup was at least beautiful and well-done, he was a laughing stock in his final makeup.

And as far as "Can't do the prosthetics" - I should clarify: I do not know how to make the molds to run foam/latex (or run foam/latex for that matter). I can design and make the faceplate out of clay on a form though. As a jewelrymaker and sewer; however, I can fabricate like no one's business.

I agree with the bottom 3. They lack creativity. I love the idea of an airship steampunk pirate but where are the cogs where is the musket where is the ship's wheel/helm? The spyglass eye was overboard, he didn't have to put an eye there maybe even make it shorter. I would even like it if he fused the goggles to the eyes instead but not showing the eyes then use the spyglass as someone else mentioned as a window in his chest showing the heart.

I see the spyglass being used as an eyepatch.
    Steampunk solid brass monogoggle with leather eyepatch... review | buy, shop with friends, sale | Kaboodle
    Steampunk Sky Pirate by *SteampunkOverlord on deviantART
    And I can see where he got his inspiration
    http://th00.deviantart.net/fs33/PRE/...rijoleluna.jpg

But I really didn't see much steampunk in that pirate unlike this one:
    http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/583....258761818.jpg

Check this out:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IskKlnE3Nz...irate_Flag.jpg

The artist who did the Jewel Pirate missed the challenge. He could have done a lot of things with the jewels being fused in the pirate's body. He could have made it really colorful and not necessarily grotesque. But the best he can do is a pirate holding jewels. Eh?! If he loses the jewels in hand, then what kind of pirate is it? He could gone many different ways with it but he chose the least creative route. Pirate is not even wearing any jewels i think. Maybe use a treasure chest or a diving helmet. Check out these inspirations:

http://usb.brando.com/prod_img/zoom/...47800_01_L.jpg
    http://img.geocaching.com/track/larg...63e0d8f5be.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/wikiality/im...asureChest.jpg

As for the barnacles. Yikes! Barnacles attach in random ways so that symmetrical layout was really bad. I see why she got eliminated and it's justifiably so. She didn't have a concept and she lacked inspiration. I think she just had artist block. She could have used the barnacles everywhere in random places in the model's body and just made him look grotesque then she could not have been eliminated. I don't think barnacles would be a difficult inspiration to use for makeup or costume. Here are some images:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/594....284594109.jpg
    http://imgc.artprintimages.com/image...0-SGU9G00Z.jpg
    http://www.brobible.com/files/archiv...636/Maccus.jpg
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-31-2012 at 04:27 AM.

From the Roy thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    I agree with the "pulling a Ven", jadewarlock.

Ain't NO way the judges --- Ve and Glenn, ESPECIALLY --- are gonna put up with that.

Roy and Rod seem so comfortable and secure with themselves, and their talent, that I would be VERY surprised if one of them fell in to that particular hole.

But, then again, people ARE human, and things DO happen, so, we'll see.
    I'm pulling this over here because my reply doesn't have anything to do with Roy.

I think the reason a Ven situation would never happen on this show - or at least if someone pulled something like that, they'd get the boot - is that it's the judges in the workroom checking out the progress vs. a mentor who isn't on the judging panel. If someone was behaving really badly in the workroom, the judges would all know about it.

On PR, Tim is almost isolated from the judging panel, with the exception of the few times at the beginning of episodes when Heidi makes an appearance with him. I don't know how much interaction Tim actually has with anyone on the judging panel. On this show, not only does McKenzie interact with the judges during panel, but she also has one of them with her when they visit the workroom during each challenge.

I also think this industry just attracts a different type of person. Like we've talked about before, this is such a collaborative business. If you can't work with lots of different people, then you're sunk. Plus, I think if a contestant spewed some sexist crap, he'd have to join Witness Protection to hide from Ve Neill.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    From the Roy thread:

I'm pulling this over here because my reply doesn't have anything to do with Roy.

I think the reason a Ven situation would never happen on this show - or at least if someone pulled something like that, they'd get the boot - is that it's the judges in the workroom checking out the progress vs. a mentor who isn't on the judging panel. If someone was behaving really badly in the workroom, the judges would all know about it.

On PR, Tim is almost isolated from the judging panel, with the exception of the few times at the beginning of episodes when Heidi makes an appearance with him. I don't know how much interaction Tim actually has with anyone on the judging panel. On this show, not only does McKenzie interact with the judges during panel, but she also has one of them with her when they visit the workroom during each challenge.

I also think this industry just attracts a different type of person. Like we've talked about before, this is such a collaborative business. If you can't work with lots of different people, then you're sunk. Plus, I think if a contestant spewed some sexist crap, he'd have to join Witness Protection to hide from Ve Neill.
    And you're absolutely right.

Now that you've mentioned it, that's a very valid point, that the makeup industry attracts a different kind of animal from the fashion industry. Never would have thought of that, had you not brought it up.

And the judging aspect of it? Right again. I actually recall an interview wherein Heidi mentioned that if there's infighting going on in the workroom, she, Tim and the other judges have no knowledge of that prior to the runway showing. The only way they tumble to it is if they read negative faces, or somebody gets thrown under the bus.

VERY different from Face Off.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

That's one of the beefs I have with PR - that disconnect between Tim as mentor and the judging panel. I think it's really important, to know which contestants work well with others and which ones don't.

I also like the judges are able to give input in the workroom. Of course, sometimes the contestants don't listen, like we saw with Derek (or was in Erik?) this week with the steampunk thing. With Tim, the PR designers get input, but he really is just giving his opinion and he has no real say at judging. Theoretically, he could be steering them completely wrong.

This really is my favorite reality show right now. Aside from Joe (and he was gone quickly), I like all the contestants, even though they're not all at the same level talent-wise. I like the judges, the host and how the show is put together. I don't know too much about this industry - beyond watching this show and a bit of reading - so it's fun to learn something too. I prefer this kind of show to ones where people do nothing but bicker or act like idiots. On this show, it's about talent and creativity and MERIT.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That's one of the beefs I have with PR - that disconnect between Tim as mentor and the judging panel. I think it's really important, to know which contestants work well with others and which ones don't.

I also like the judges are able to give input in the workroom. Of course, sometimes the contestants don't listen, like we saw with Derek (or was in Erik?) this week with the steampunk thing. With Tim, the PR designers get input, but he really is just giving his opinion and he has no real say at judging. Theoretically, he could be steering them completely wrong.

This really is my favorite reality show right now. Aside from Joe (and he was gone quickly), I like all the contestants, even though they're not all at the same level talent-wise. I like the judges, the host and how the show is put together. I don't know too much about this industry - beyond watching this show and a bit of reading - so it's fun to learn something too. I prefer this kind of show to ones where people do nothing but bicker or act like idiots. On this show, it's about talent and creativity and MERIT.
    WELL said!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

McKenzie Westmore did an interview with Entertainment Weekly before last week's show. She shares some information about what goes on (and what will be happening this year).

Syfy's 'Face Off': McKenzie Westmore teases season 3 episode 2 | Inside TV | EW.com
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    McKenzie Westmore did an interview with Entertainment Weekly before last week's show. She shares some information about what goes on (and what will be happening this year).

Syfy's 'Face Off': McKenzie Westmore teases season 3 episode 2 | Inside TV | EW.com
    Thanks for the link, TripleGemini!

I enjoyed reading that article!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Thanks for the link, TripleGemini!

I enjoyed reading that article!
    You're welcome :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12