+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 8/21 Face Off 3 - Season Premiere Discussion

8/21 Face Off 3 - Season Premiere Discussion

Season 3 is here!

What did everyone think?

Make sure to keep discussion in this thread until after 10:30 PM Pacific
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: 8/21 Face Off 3 - Season Premiere Discussion

What an idiot Joe was. I'm actually glad he left (even though I thought it was immature).

We were really hoping the two women would win because their character tied so well into the cantina, but I fully understood why the guys won...the amount of work they did was amazing.

It looks like it's going to be a good season :-)

BTW, if you're on Twitter, McKenzie Westmore (@mckenziewestmor) tweets during the show, and you can follow the hashtag #faceoff.

I NEVER thought anyone would top Frank from last season as being an overall unlikable contestant, but Joe really did that. Personally I do not fault Tommy's reaction one bit - though it will reflect on him long term if he's not careful. Was glad they said that Joe was disqualifed for walking off set - I like the ZERO TOLERANCE policy. They need that on other shows too.

As far as the makeups - I agreed with the top two and think that the one with the fancy frills rounded out the top three. Fourth - that bounty hunger with the longer head was just safe and the bottom two were most definitely deserved. Both the top two deserved to win the art design, and maybe they both will be used in the Clone Wars or something later on.

What I think let Roy and Rob win that though is that if you were NOT looking closely, you'd really think that the robot was real and there was a smaller person in the outfit. They really took the details there especially making the legs look longer than they would if a person were in there (they managed to shorten the actor's torso to create that illusion, and the makeup was very good - it looked like it was the person's alien body. He'd also blend in a little bit better in a modern day cantina scene.

The top girl's design too was lovely elegant and shows too how you can make an excellent makeup in three days (which is the main reason I think Tommy and Joe's would've been the bottom look and hopefully Joe would've been out regardless). They along with the other all female team's makeup are showing early on that we may actually have a woman win this season.

Will say though overall (save the bottom look for sure) this group seems to be the strongest ones they've ever had. This really felt IMHO like it was the best overall first makeups so far.

And - though I don't think my original hope is true now - we're going to see some great ideas this season in makeup and some creative challenges. I especially like the one based on the Chinese dancing lion/dragon.

I felt really bad for Tommy, felt like he was truly in agony about the whole ordeal. I didn't like Joe one bit, him or his work. I love the whole fraternal twin angle, I hope they get to work together at some point. I think they're have a real potential to go far. I was worried for Derek though before Joe left the set. Both of the bottom designs were awful.

Wow, we've seen some complete tools on this show, but none as bad as Joe. Poor Tommy. I really felt for him. You could tell he was just defeated. I got where the judges were coming from about his "plea" to thm, but I hope they took those judgments back once they saw how Joe behaved and how he treated Tommy. SyFy didn't even give him a profile on the official site. Ouch.

I can't imagine, based on the two things we saw from Joe, how he got on this show. Could the work he used to get onto the show just completely different from what we saw? The stuff he did on the show just looked like amateurish piles of mush.

So is Rod going to turn into this season's Conor and keep helping the cute, young girl (in this case, Alana) every week?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

VERY good first episode...especially as Joe essentially took himself out of the competition. He never would've lasted more than one or two more challenges anyway. None of the more experienced artists would have put up with his bs. For him to come over and just ruin Tommy's sculpting? Really pathetic. Sorry that Tommy had to go through that mess, but the judges were right, you have to learn to work with people in this field. I mean, it's kind of a duh!

I think Joe wants to do his own "artistic" thing with no one else interfering and certainly not judging it. You could see the look in his eyes when he went through the 2 judgings....not happy at all. One of those "misunderstood" types

Glad to see some serious talent for the women! The runner up look was gorgeous...elegant and completely finished.
    Also love, love the team that won (names?)...those 2 guys are crazy talented, classy (helping out the one women's team) and a bit quirky - it will be fun to watch them!

I think if the paint job on the jazz singer had been different - it would've made all the difference. The horrible blood color was strangely flat.The eyes are the key to any costume/personality and this one's were lost.

looking forward to the rest of the season!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I felt bad for Tommy, too. The judges made it sound like he was throwing Joe under the bus just because he didn't like his personality but it was more than that. Joe wasn't even a good designer (based on the results of their earlier challenge) and yet he was yelling at and criticizing Tommy the whole time, even during the runway show!! Plus, he physically messed up what Tommy had been working on at one point, setting him back on all the work he had done on it, and kept calling him away from Tommy's own projects to work on his. I think that if Tommy hadn't said something to the judges, they would have held him equally responsible for the poor quality of work their team did when in truth, it was all on Joe. Tommy tried to get his point of view across but when it became obvious they weren't going to get anywhere like that, he just did what Joe told him to do to keep the peace.

I'm glad that Joe took a hike instead of leaving it possible for Tommy to be sent home. I hope Tommy has a killer design next week to redeem himself before the judges. I have faith in him!

Joe's lucky he didn't get anyone else for a partner because any of the other designers would have cleaned his clock for his nasty attitude. I wanted to punch him in the nose myself.

Poor Tommy, all he would have had to do was keep his mouth shut at judging. The judges said that the paint job was the worst thing about the design and Joe almost proudly admitted he did all of the painting. I think that, if Tommy had kept his mouth shut and Joe hadn't walked out, Joe would have been eliminated. After Tommy's little performance at judging, I think he was going to get the boot. Joe saved him.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Poor Tommy, all he would have had to do was keep his mouth shut at judging. The judges said that the paint job was the worst thing about the design and Joe almost proudly admitted he did all of the painting. I think that, if Tommy had kept his mouth shut and Joe hadn't walked out, Joe would have been eliminated. After Tommy's little performance at judging, I think he was going to get the boot. Joe saved him.
    I don't know - I felt Joe had the "Frank and Jerry" syndrome in that he'd open his mouth at the wrong time to defend his work and he'd probably still been eliminated.

He sure couldn't handle the pressure of being judged on his work - regardless of whether or not Tommy had thrown him under the buss or not. It showed because Joe seemed content to let Tommy cause his own demise probably but you could see when the judges dared to challenge him on the paint he was visibly - if just - pissed off.

Joe wouldn't have survived regardless long term - his first makeup was horrid and this one wasn't better. Tommy at least had a decent enough sculpt - it surprisingly could've worked with a better paint job.

And - out of all the costumes, it was the worst one. Seriously, even if the makeup had been stellar, all I could do was focus on the crotch of the alien with that rhinestone edged thong.
    pikachu likes this.

BTW, I also saw the ad for that "Hot Set" competition - that also looked cool.

SyFy may have some major clunkers in their original movies; however, they do make some great reality tv shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast