+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2/9 show

Re: 2/9 show

I really liked Sam and Tate's design and, if it hadn't been for the placenta separating, I think they would have won. It was clearly the most out there of the alien concepts. I think I just really like Sam and want to see more.

I agree that the winning design was elegant, but it was still a humanoid face - structurally oval with eyes, nose and mouth, and with the full cloak covering everything except the face and hands, who knows what the remainder of the body would look like. I think they won on the close-up work and not the overall concept.

Now that Mr. "I'm going for coffee" has jumped for joy and left, hopefully the disgust level of the contestants and me will calm down.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

So far I like this show a lot (except for the dreaded team/twosome stuff)

I like the challenges however, seems to fit their jobs and I like the fact that they are not expecting them to create these makeup /masks/stuff with junk found in a dollar store or a vending machine (shades of project runway/top chef LOL)

I like Conner a lot, very talented and down to earth.

was glad to see Frank go...always great to see the "I could care less" contestant get their wish to go go go haha

This will , IMHO, only get more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4190253;
    I really liked Sam and Tate's design and, if it hadn't been for the placenta separating, I think they would have won. It was clearly the most out there of the alien concepts. I think I just really like Sam and want to see more.

I agree that the winning design was elegant, but it was still a humanoid face - structurally oval with eyes, nose and mouth, and with the full cloak covering everything except the face and hands, who knows what the remainder of the body would look like. I think they won on the close-up work and not the overall concept.
    I agree on second look at the aliens - the winning design was a bit too humanoid and probably what let it win was a. Sam and Tate's design having the issue it did, b. the design used silicone and it didn't look like it (which is difficult, and c. the painting was very good.

The only other issue I could see here with their design is the functionality, i.e. moving around. This would have to be a pretty flexible actor who was comfortable being in the crab position a lot of the time. While I think they said it was a water animal, so there could be a place for said actor to sit, they'd have to be careful to make sure that spot didn't show - especially if placed on coasters so the actor could move around and be fairly comfortable.

But yes, Sam/Tate's was the most true alien of the lot.

Oh, one more note - if you don't want to be in the dangerzone on this show practically automatically DON'T use fake eyelashes that are an inch long. You will be seen as making the alien goofy (which is true - it does look goofy).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4192296;
    Oh, one more note - if you don't want to be in the dangerzone on this show practically automatically DON'T use fake eyelashes that are an inch long. You will be seen as making the alien goofy (which is true - it does look goofy).
    The only thing anyone succeeds in doing when they use those long eyelashes on their model is making her look like an ostrich!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I agree about the winning design being too humanoid - right down to the clothing.

I don't like Connor as much after this episode - the way he treated Jo, singling out Tom to the judges rather than Frank, and ... (dang...I can't remember the third thing) - though I do like his work.

Again, I HATE the team challenges. It was Conor's design, not Jo's (I would have liked to have seen what Jo would come up with). Anthony didn't get to show what he could do because of Frank. Yes, collaboration in this field is important - but that's not something that can be easily judged in a competititve situation. If you think your partner's design is crappy but your partner won't give, at some point you've got to back down so you can just get to work on something. Then the judges whack you for not sticking up for yourself.

I realize that one person doing a full costume is a huge task, but I'd rather see each contestant produce a head and one limb and then just have their rendering of the whole thing than have these team challenges.

Why did Frank act so weird when the judges told him he was eliminated? I hadn't been following the show that much so I thought he was glad that his partner had been eliminated instead it was him?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4195387;
    Why did Frank act so weird when the judges told him he was eliminated? I hadn't been following the show that much so I thought he was glad that his partner had been eliminated instead it was him?
    I think he was just happy to not be told what to do and not deal with things that to him weren't "challenging." He also was full of prosthetic putty gone sour with silver greying agents for hair combined with coagulated fake blood turned solid. (I don't know, but this just sounds so right)

Then again, he didn't even try so I don't see what the challenge was.

To me he will always be the Osten of this series, even if this is the only time they do the show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12