+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Face Off 6 Episode 15 (Finale) *spoilers*

Face Off 6 Episode 15 (Finale) *spoilers*

Woo-hoo! WTG, Rashaad :-)

When the judges were complimenting Tyler, all I could think was "I don't see it." And George's female had gorgeous coloring, but I didn't really see what they liked in his designs, either.

Of course, I could just be tired. And biased ;-)

But all-in-all, it was a great show and a great season.

Re: Face Off 6 Episode 15 (Finale) *spoilers*

When I saw the final makeups tonight, I knew it was either Tyler or Rashaad. They had overall the most consistent makeups all season and their finale makeups were the strongest.

George's sculpt was indeed strong, but as someone predicted, the coloring hurt his makeups. I also didn't see any of the lights they were supposed to have until they did the close up judging. I also do not get the plastic party garland looking skirt for the girl.

Tyler's was beautiful and he did well incorporating the lights. I think between him and Rashaad were tiny differences in the painting and makeup.

Rashaad did a good job on the lighting choices on the girl's face makeup and then the male makeup was striking using the extreme colors in the correct order (lighter shadows darker highlights). I also felt he did a good job covering up the issues with the makeup by creating a scar. It was a fast enough thinking choice that I think helped give him the win. I also had a feeling he was going to win when Ve mentioned he was the one who was in the bottom only once during the season - though I'm not sure WHICH one though because technically the only time he was in the "bottom" I figured was last week when they were choosing the final three.

I'll be honest - I would've been upset if George won because his was truly the weakest of the group tonight. He's did well in spite of some issues that plagued him, but his work tonight would've just robbed the other two of the win if he had won.

Overall this was a good season and the finale was one of the best they've had. I'm looking forward to the next season though I do wish they didn't try to do a life/death season... though given what they're trying out I can see why they tried this theme. I do hope they stop themes though after this season - even if more just a general description (i.e. vets vs. newbies/extreme challenges/life and death) because I don't want them to become gimmicky.
    inthegarden likes this.

I'm so happy for Rashad. From the first episode I was drawn to his creative point of view. He also has a quality beyond creativity which is a skill needed in the industry: quick thinking that turns `mistakes' and tech problems into assets in the story of the characters. He doesn't let panic become his primary emotion when things aren't going well. He tales criticism well while also excelling at time management. There were a few individual challenges in which it seemed impossible only one person worked on the final presentation. He was consistent in that and even his so-called failures didn't fail because they were awful, but rather because, imo the judges missed the point. His werewolf comes to mind. While I agree his choice of chest color and clothing worked against him I was shocked the judges didn't understand Rashads werewolf did not have to be physically imposing i9n order to be dangerous. The werewolf used fire as a weapon and the gold detail is a Asian symbol for fire in their artwork and sculptures. I was surprised Vee didn't understand that. I found the gold detail to be gorgeous and necessary in connecting the two antagonists to their origins.
    But tonight, wow. his female creature was celestial , beautiful and ethereal. The choice in lighting and the way his team installed it, blew me away. Kudos to his team, he picked wisely. His male character might have been lost in the dance number due to the deeper cool tones, but he used that green as a way to frame the sculptured features so that they popped rather than fading like black holes. Next to one another the hot and cool color choices came to life-I could feel heat and cold. And again, he took a problem, the damaged female face and turned it into a brilliant bit of camouflage that fit perfectly into the story about his beings.
    I was least impressed with Tyler's, to be honest. I've noticed, though he's come up with some amazing things over the season he tends to need a lot of direction and correction to get from the beginning stage to the development phase. I was a bit surprised last week when Mackenzie and her father felt they needed to talk to Tyler after they told him he had to rethink his approach. I think they should have ley Tyler digest their critique by himself. I felt their choice to check on him and back peddle a bit made Tyler (through no fault of his own) seem too `green' to handle a tough critique. It was just odd, imo.
    George's sculpting-holy cow-it's so precise and complex- both creatures have stunning, intricate sculpting detail that amazed me. the red bisque coloring made sense to me as did the crustacean like detailing as it tied into the part of the night sky he was representing. Unfortunately, that same perfect red bisque coloring was drained in the flashing lights, reading as brown and flat. Still, I appreciated his concept and again, his sculpting abilities have consistently blown me away. He makes these amazing profiles, as well. Very balanced and fluid.
    Great season and kudos to the three finalists and to Rashad. Well done everyone.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Enjoyed watching tonight's show - it's fun to watch when I'm not rooting for anyone. I'm glad they all did well for the finale. And kudos to the "helpers" for giving it their all.

I thought the paint job on George's female was flat. I had a slight preference for Tyler's - the male's chest structure was so creative.

I didn't enjoy the dance part much - I wanted to see the creatures and they got lost in the flashing lights. I did like watching the conestants watch the dance - they were all so in to it.

I did not care for the dancing. I was lost trying to figure out the lighting during the dance.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    <snip> I also had a feeling he was going to win when Ve mentioned he was the one who was in the bottom only once during the season - though I'm not sure WHICH one though because technically the only time he was in the "bottom" I figured was last week when they were choosing the final three. <snip>
    Rashaad was in the bottom in Episode 9. (He was my lead artist in the pool, and I remembered him being in the bottom once. I looked through pikachu's charts to find the episode.)
    jadewarlock likes this.

Thanks TripleGemini for the clarification. It's been a busy few months for me at work where I've had to either watch the second run of the episode or just follow it online.

I wanted to give one more prop to all three - that celebration of Rashaad's win by the three was awesome. George and Tyler were gracious runners-up to Rashaad and you could tell they were genuinely happy to see him win. I think all three would've reacted the same way no matter who won, but it was quite fun to see the celebration. Poor Rashaad though... it looked like it started to become a bit overwhelming to him he won.

And next season looks to be very good - and some actual BEAUTY concepts instead of a lot of scifi/horror stuff. I liked that Greek goddess that looked like she was part salad makeup. (Of course, this was so fast for all I know this was a she-devil in white )

Congratulations to Rashaad! I was always struck by how much he helped everyone else throughout the competition.

I don't know if the Face Off production budget has been lowered, but the staging of last night's performance seemed wholly inadequate. That stage was tiny, especially considering the number of dancers that had to perform on it. It was really difficult to see and appreciate the performance and the characters.
    pikachu, redsox girl and sclilred1 like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Congratulations to Rashaad! I was always struck by how much he helped everyone else throughout the competition.

I don't know if the Face Off production budget has been lowered, but the staging of last night's performance seemed wholly inadequate. That stage was tiny, especially considering the number of dancers that had to perform on it. It was really difficult to see and appreciate the performance and the characters.
    I agree! The performance wasn't as theatrical as past season's.
    I'm so happy that Rashaad won. He is so talented and joins Laura as another favorite designer of mine.
    The support designer's did a good job in helping the leads.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 04-23-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    redsox girl and sclilred1 like this.

Not too sure if it was a lower budget - you have to remember these guys DID go to Japan.

I do agree it was a tad too dark and didn't really show off the makeups to the best of their ability. That said, it DID show that Tyler and Rashaad's makeups really were the best of the three because you could at least tell the two of them off in the lighting.

What I'd suggest is that if they do another country or something to keep the number of contestants down to compensate. You lower your costs for makeup and other expenses which can be used for the finale. (And no, it's not expensive - I remember my Ben Nye basic makeup kit in college costing me $50... and this was in 1999. These guys have better makeup than Ben Nye, not to mention the costs for silicone, latex, etc.).
    redsox girl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast